• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A-2, what to do

silvio76

Thomas Koehle

Kinda weird how we discuss things like zippers here in the forum ...

If someone would accidentally read any of the threads which are going on in the forum most might think it’s a bunch of perverts who exchange their “interests” using codes like “conmar” aso ... :)

I like it here!!!!

stanier

We’re wandering again guys! I definitely don’t want a Conmar, sorry.

Would like a Hookless at some point, but my next jacket I want Crown zippered!!

Cheers!

Geeboo

Zippers/ metalware are advanced part in jacket making/ collecting.

Last edited:

unclegrumpy

Nobody has brought up an original. You are lucky that you are a size that you should be able to find a very nice original. However, I think it is not a fair comparison...original vs reproduction, because you have to be so much more careful with the old ones. I think they are fun to have to wear sometimes, but new jackets are much better as wearers...studier, weather resistant, and you don't worry about them.

I think you should get in line now for the exact jacket you want. Better to be happy and cross off every single box. In the mean time, if something you like shows up used...then try it out. You can always move it along.

Same goes for an original...but up your standards and wait for a nice one...it won't likely smell or have issues...plus I suspect a nice one to start with won't cost much more than one you have to spend money on to up grade the cuffs or waistband...or zipper. Really nice size 40 jackets show up often...they are too small for most people, and they are one of the most plentiful sizes....and often not that expensive either.

B-Man2

On the other hand anything with a 46 or 48 size tag on it, is a much rarer find , so get prepared for a severe case of sticker shock!:eek:

stanier

Nobody has brought up an original. You are lucky that you are a size that you should be able to find a very nice original. However, I think it is not a fair comparison...original vs reproduction, because you have to be so much more careful with the old ones. I think they are fun to have to wear sometimes, but new jackets are much better as wearers...studier, weather resistant, and you don't worry about them.

I think you should get in line now for the exact jacket you want. Better to be happy and cross off every single box. In the mean time, if something you like shows up used...then try it out. You can always move it along.

Same goes for an original...but up your standards and wait for a nice one...it won't likely smell or have issues...plus I suspect a nice one to start with won't cost much more than one you have to spend money on to up grade the cuffs or waistband...or zipper. Really nice size 40 jackets show up often...they are too small for most people, and they are one of the most plentiful sizes....and often not that expensive either.

I have a feeling unclegrumpy that this solution, or a derivative of it, is where I’ll end up....

A2 B3au

So here I am on another Saturday pondering what to do about my next A-2 and I thought I’d share my conundrum. Very happy to hear any other positive thoughts or suggestions.

To start, I now only have one A-2, my ELC Star which I am really happy with and is now starting to get a lot of wear.

But I’ve been thinking for sometime of at least another couple of A-2’s, one to have painted and one to keep plain. That doesn’t mean I can get them all now, but it’s my plan over time. But it is something to factor in.

Anyway right now (and for sometime) I’d really like horsehide really mixed smooth(ish) and grainy, Crown zippered (really want a Crown zip) Dubow with purply knits heading my way. I think I’m flexible on whether it’s seal or russet. However this feels not an easy ask. It seems to me that ELC are best positioned to provide, but they don’t. So, my options feel like they are:

1/. Order a Platon Dubow and forget the Crown, or try and source a Crown and send it to be fitted by Platon’s company. But then would I be really happy with this ultimately?

2/. Order a BK Victory horse Dubow and source a Crown as option 1., but assuming BK are doing Victory, again, would I be happy with this ultimately?

3/. Wait for ELC to release their Dubow unpainted and forget the Crown. But I’m not sure I could forget the Crown!

4/. Go for the Crown and forget Dubow and order an ELC RW 1401P. But I’m not sure I would forget Dubow, though I might be very happy with 1401! Though I’m not sure about RW collars.

5/. Go a different direction again and talk to Aero about what they could do for me. I just might do this one anyway.

6/. Get an original,. Now this is a new option for me as I’m not really a fan of the thought of 70 or 80 year old jackets and my (quite possibly only my perception) hygiene problems of funny smells etc. However I’ve seen a couple of originals that have been relined with new knits and labels. And cleaned and / or refurbished zips and fasteners that look sweet. The finish didn’t look 70 plus years old per se but was very nice so maybe that’s answer, but what I want is maybe a tough find in my size 40ish depending on final measurements.

7/. Bite the bullet and order 2 or 3 jackets (back to my long term want list) from Goodwear and get in the queue. I love John’s Work but not the 2 year wait! 2 years of excitement wishing my life away and would it be 2 years or more? and I’d be 55 by then, I don’t want to think of it! But I’d almost certainly be very happy with the jackets eventually.

8/. Look for a used Goodwear, I’m kind of doing this anyway, but my pereception is that a Crown zippered Dubow in size 40 (or possibly 42 depending on measurements) is an unlikely find.

9/. Look to Japan and see what I can find, but again would I be happy ultimately?

10/. Do nothing and just see what time brings? This is what I am doing by default, and I’m not happy with this choice now:confused:

So gents, what to do? Is there another option that give me what I’m looking for reasonably quickly?

Cheers

Chris
I’m fully behind you stanerz 100% with you on the crown zipper preference ,unfortunately only have 1 out of 8 flight jackets with a crown all others are talons that’s why I’ve aske Aero if I can have one fitted to the B6 I’ve just ordered.. Fortunately I’ve just got a buzz B15c fully loaded with crowns . So the star sports will be getting company ,one things for sure all other A2s certainly fit different to the stars

A2 B3au

There’s a dude in the states with a new condition used roughwear in a 40 with a crown zip surely I not the only one who’s seen it ..I think he wants around a grand for it I’ll try find it but it’s been there for around a year ,in one of the pics he holding it up on a hanger in glorious sunshine but it’s havana Brown not seal

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
2/. Order a BK Victory horse Dubow and source a Crown as option 1., but assuming BK are doing Victory, again, would I be happy with this ultimately?
As far as I know this option isn't available to order anymore.

jeremiah

If you want to pay an arm and a leg you can still get the dark seal victory hide according to the website.