• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knich27

Got this jacket out of a storage unit clean out I purchased at auction. Along with it were original copies of several US Marines issued documents dated in the 1940s as well as the honorable discharge paper work. Typically I purchase these units for resale.. but wasn’t sure if this is something I should hold onto. Or where to even begin if I were to decide to sell it. Any info helps!
IMG_4208.jpeg
IMG_4204.jpeg
IMG_4209.jpeg
IMG_4207.jpeg
IMG_4206.jpeg

Chandler

I'll offer you $150 plus shipping to Illinois. ;)

Seriously, that's a pretty nice example of an early issue (40s, not 50s) Navy flight jacket.

I'm no expert on the patches, but it would be good to see a closeup of the name tag and more views (back, lining, sleeves).

Knich27

I'll offer you $150 plus shipping to Illinois. ;)

Seriously, that's a pretty nice example of an early issue (40s, not 50s) Navy flight jacket.

I'm no expert on the patches, but it would be good to see a closeup of the name tag and more views (back, lining, sleeves).
When comparing to other pricing I’ve found online I would say I’d have to pass on the $150.
But I will be sure to take better photos when I get home tonight.

Grant

Really nice WWII issue M422a.
Even though those cool Korean War era patches are probably more valuable than the jacket itself, I hope whoever sells or buys this jacket doesn't remove them.
Whoever buys it needs to be aware H&L Block labels are very fragile and prone to tearing. Also, the mouton is dry rotted.
This jacket should be for display only if there's any desire to preserve it.

Thanks for sharing!

Silver Surfer

outstanding jacket. first things first, get some saddle soap, follow the directions, and clean that mould off. it looks like the whole jacket is covered in it. the mould will grow if not removed, and may have, or will rot the stitching. a light cleaning of the cloth patches wilth oolite or some such will remove and neutralize the mould on them. you may consider cleaning the liner and wool elements as well, as im sure that the mould is in there too. the cleaning will get rid or the moldy smell, also.

Knich27

Also curious if I should have it restored or just cleaned? Does anyone know of a good place to do so in Ohio area?

B-Man2

Hi Knick
Been reading the thread. Historically you’ve got a nice find. However, if I can speak candidly I don’t think that you’re interested in the historical aspects of this jacket, so let’s talk about the financial aspects of it. The value of the jacket in its current state is difficult to predict without having the jacket in hand. Let me explain why . These jackets are old M-422a jackets were actually made during WWII which makes this jacket around 80 years old . From your photos the collar is rotted and there is mold around the jacket in a few places . The thread holding the jacket together could also be rotting. The goatskin the jacket is made from may also have dry rot. So without actually having the jacket in hand and examining it, there’s no way to tell what issues a potential buyer who wants to restore the jacket will have to contend with. The analogy I use about these old jackets is that it’s like seeing a big puddle of water and stepping into the center of it. You never know how deep that puddle is going to be until it’s too late and you’re standing in the center of it . It could be 6 inches deep or 6 ft deep. So the deeper the puddle the more money it’s going to take to restore this jacket.
I know this isn’t the answer you’re expecting but it’s a realistic answer regarding trying to sell this jacket . If someone offers you $500 to $850. for it without seeing it in person, I would snap that up .
Good luck with it whatever you decide.
BTW I have no interest in purchasing the jacket so you know I’m not trying to low ball you.

Last edited:

Knich27

Anyone know anything about these coins on the zipper? They have foreign writing on them, there are 5 of them. I realize these photos are not good, my schedule this week hasn’t allowed me time to be able to get better photos just yet.
IMG_4306.png
IMG_4305.png