• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help to Identify "A2 Werber Leather Coat Co. Contract 1729"

Shawn Ali

Based on the use of flat rivets (as opposed to tube rivets) for the zip reinforcement, and square stitching at the top corner of the pocket, this is the Werber 1112-P, the 4th A-2 contract.
Can you please provide some more information about this contract :)

Shawn

2BM2K

Shawn
One thing that could be of use is to test a small piece of what is left the jacket lining (not pocket lining)
to see if it is silk or cotton.

This is done by setting fire to a piece of lining. Appparantly there is a different smell to burning silk and cotton.
Geoff

2BM2K

So here's the evidence so far:
zip of a 1729
collar hooks of a 1729 or of 1112-P
epaulet stitching of a 1729 (/also 1112-P?)
zip reinforcement rivets of a 1729 or 1112-P
pocket reinforcement of no attested jacket - this could very easily be due to a factory worker being lazy though.

There are a couple more things;
As leper-colony noted the pocket snap is not dimpled.
What is left of the lining is quite a dark colour.

Shawn Ali

Was the lining ever replaced?
If not, what color is the lining?
Do the knits look original?
After close up analysis we can guess that its lining looks like replaced but even the replaced lining is totally tear off, only we can see its left over with the jacket panels as below image
DSC_8596 copy.jpg
DSC_8592 copy.jpg

But In the pockets I can guess that its Original Color Cotton which was possibly used in the lining.
DSC_8589 copy.jpg

Best Regards

Shawn

leper-colony

After close up analysis we can guess that its lining looks like replaced but even the replaced lining is totally tear off, only we can see its left over with the jacket panels as below image
View attachment 63345View attachment 63346
But In the pockets I can guess that its Original Color Cotton which was possibly used in the lining.
View attachment 63347

Best Regards

Shawn
Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure out if the collar snaps were replaced with the lining, but it kind of looks like they are not. Makes me wonder how the lining was replaced around them, if it was.

I keep coming back to the lined pockets. If this is not a later jacket, why would a more complex feature be added ( and then removed) in the series of contracts. That just makes me think its earlier- just how early?

I think its great you are asking for help to get things right. These military jackets have certainly been an adventure for you.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a label if its not determined which contract this is?

Shawn Ali

Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure out if the collar snaps were replaced with the lining, but it kind of looks like they are not. Makes me wonder how the lining was replaced around them, if it was.

I keep coming back to the lined pockets. If this is not a later jacket, why would a more complex feature be added ( and then removed) in the series of contracts. That just makes me think its earlier- just how early?

I think its great you are asking for help to get things right. These military jackets have certainly been an adventure for you.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a label if its not determined which contract this is?
Thanks for all of your help, Yes I am trying to make its most authentic label as it was missed in that jacket, so some friends suggested to use the 1729 Repro Label, but I want to have some guidance from well known members here, Because authenticity is my first priority.

Best Regards

Shawn

33-1729

View attachment 63345

Best Regards

Shawn

Specifically identifying the zipper maker & type would help narrow the possible date range of manufacture. Good picture of the back of the zipper. Can you post a picture of zipper front?

It’s not clearly identifiable as a military contract from the details we’ve seen, so I would consider it a private purchase, especially given the original and intact fabric lined pockets.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

A cropped-up version of Shawn Ali's first picture in the thread's OP:

Werber_X (2).jpg

The zipper looks like a M-32 Talon No. 7, as used in SATs and 33-1729s...
A better picture of the zipper puller would help in identifying it.

Last edited:

Brettafett

My moneys on a 1729
One also should consider the possibility that when these jackets were made, any number of factors could have attributed to some variations.
And even then, after all these years, there's also the possibility jackets been tampered with...