• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Star (GW)

P-47 thunderbolt

Literally a perfect reproduction, that overdye is pretty much exact! That's what Bill Kelso had us believe they'd made, but liberty horsehide isn't as close as that GW.
Do you know how it was overdue? Spray pigment I assume?

ZuZu

Literally a perfect reproduction, that overdye is pretty much exact! That's what Bill Kelso had us believe they'd made, but liberty horsehide isn't as close as that GW.
Do you know how it was overdue? Spray pigment I assume?
The regular Shinki was oversprayed with brown pigment. paint basically. In 2007 I had goatskin treated this way. I took light peanut colored goatskin and an old Cable A-2 I had to a leather couch repair company. They analyzed the finsh on the Cable and said it was simply pigment sprayed on the leather. JC did pretty much the same thing.

BTW- Grant as far as I know has the jacket I had made from that goatskin- a RMNZ Dubow!

B-Man2

Zu
Your new Star is one of the nicest of JCs contracts and As someone mentioned earlier you nailed the perfect fit . That extreme trim look back in WWII was created due to all of the clothing that was worn under the jacket to keep warm. Most people forget that the A2 was issued as a light weight warm weather flight jacket. In order to stay warm at ground level you had to layer under that jacket and that’s how most looked trim when they wore it. Yours fits perfectly my man!!

Smithy

That really is an absolute ripper Jeff, Nice one mate. Like Jan with his GW RW, you've hit the zenith. Both of you kids need a new hobby as you can't surpass what you've got.

Jan's taking up waterskiing as the missus put the kibosh on sports cars. What's it going to be for you? :)

B-Man2

That really is an absolute ripper Jeff, Nice one mate. Like Jan with his GW RW, you've hit the zenith. Both of you kids need a new hobby as you can't surpass what you've got.

Jan's taking up waterskiing as the missus put the kibosh on sports cars. What's it going to be for you? :)
I’ve found that bocce is a nice safe sport in your 70’s……..don’t even think about Pickle Ball….;)

ZuZu

Thanks much Smithy. I plan to keep running- up in those hills- hopefully 'til I drop!

$ rr.JPG

Juanito

The regular Shinki was oversprayed with brown pigment. paint basically. In 2007 I had goatskin treated this way. I took light peanut colored goatskin and an old Cable A-2 I had to a leather couch repair company. They analyzed the finsh on the Cable and said it was simply pigment sprayed on the leather. JC did pretty much the same thing.

BTW- Grant as far as I know has the jacket I had made from that goatskin- a RMNZ Dubow!
Finally. an accurate finish on a high end A-2. I am not sure why we keep seeing aniline and semi-aniline finish on contracts that were clearly pigment finished. Now if we could just get some chrome tanned leather.. Bravo on this Star A-2.