• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new ELC .50 CAL just arrived

stika

Hi there..

I just wanted to share the new ELC B-3 .50 CAL with you. It looks REALLY cool in real, and I am very very pleased with it. Wow. What a great job they did on this one. I ordered it last week and it only took a few days, then it arrived.

I find the jacket very interesting, not only the used look, but also the 2 panel backside. It look really great and I can only recommend this jacket to everyone who likes the B-3. It is worth the money.

Thanks

Karsten :)
http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt343/ostermann_album/

Falcon_52

Karsten:

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures. I think it looks better than on Eastman's website. The fit couldn't be better either.

I hope you can enjoy it with winter coming up! :)

Noel

John Lever

Thanks Karsten,
It looks very similar to my Broken Finish jacket except for some rubbing on the seams etc. I like it but I think some of the wear looks rather too even like it's been sanded.
Not sure I will now pay £540 quid for one. Of course eyes on is the only real way to tell so after Saturday I'll know for sure.
Still a very nice jacket and thanks for posting.

stika

Hi John

Yes it looks a bit similar to the broken grain B-3 Eastman made as well. I have it also. The sheepskin is more grey, not so milky than the broken grain B-3. The leather straps look worn, not "sanded" or looks hand made. The shell is more matt than the broken grained one, and the straps are more darker I think than the broken grain B-3. I think with only some short wear, the sheepskin will have the worn look, and since the jacket looks worn, it will only take a short time before the whole jacket will have a pretty used good look.

I was also in doubt if I should use the money on this one, but took the chance. I must say, I am very pleased with it. I have had many B-3s during the years, but this one is cool. Btw. I still have some I wanna sell, I moved into a small place with no place for them. But the .50 CAL B-3, I am very pleased, and I think I might use this one more often this winter. It seems a little bit more softer than my broken grain B-3 which is very nice. The broken grain B-3 is a little bit too stiff but may be more soft during time I guess?

But yes, it is easier to see and judge the new jacket when you have it in your hands. But I am very pleased with it, and I see the difference in the broken grainy one and this one. I hope you can see one in real and as you say, it is only then you see the real difference.

:)

havocpaul

Looks nice, like John I am looking forward to Saturday to see it in the flesh.
BTW, what have you got for sale...B-3's?

John Lever

havocpaul said:
Looks nice, like John I am looking forward to Saturday to see it in the flesh.
BTW, what have you got for sale...B-3's?
I have a size 44 broken finish B-3 as new only worn about 3 times. I am asking £400 posted to the UK.

John Lever

We went up to London today, the train fare was £40.
Arrived at American Classics, no Time Worn Irvin was there, forgot to bring it sorry....
We did see the 50 Cal. though, and I'm still not sure about it. It is so matt, there is no shine anywhere, it looks slightly dead. It does have very good off white/beige wool colouring though, and the trip did remind me how lucky we are to live in the country.

Roughwear

I decided not to go as I had seen the B-3s and Irvin at Duxford. Was there anything else new? How do the prices compare with ones on the ELC website?

havocpaul

I was the first through the door so to speak just before 11.00, Gary was still sorting the stock out (many 50.cal B-2 caps!). The shop is quite small so therefore there won't be a massive amount of stock, there was a selection of the new B-3, A-2's (PH and 50.Cal), G-1, A-1, Hartmann; maybe there's more to come. The window has the B-3 and an A-2 on display. I couldn't see prices but assume they are the same as the ELC site. The prototype new Irvin had been left behind as it has not been made an available item as yet from what I gather, still to be confirmed. Gary expects new Buzz stock and new items very soon too. Apart from the B-2 caps and B-3 I didn't see any new items not seen before. I do think the time-worn finish on the G-1 jackets is very impressive, clearly the goatskin takes well to this finish. I have always made AC a visit when I'm in town and now it will be a bonus to see what ELC jackets are available off the peg, the fab smell of leather is going to be prominent in there this winter!

John Lever

The new Irvin will/if only be made in small batches of 12 each year I asked Gary to put me on the list if they go into production.
The skins come from a specific breed of Devon sheep in very limited supply.
I did as him if he was planning to open a farm :lol:

John Lever

Gary told me the 50 Cal. is chrome tanned with a veg. re-tan to give more feel. So I suppose the veg. tanned label is slightly misleading.

rich

John Lever said:
The new Irvin will/if only be made in small batches of 12 each year I asked Gary to put me on the list if they go into production.

Sounds like a recipe for the most expensive Irvin repro of all time.........

Roughwear

John as I sure you know many B-3s from 1942-3 were Chrome tanned, although some were still veg tanned. I prefer the time-worn look on the Irvin, but you can buy decent wearable original Irvins for the same price or cheaper than ELC charge for theirs. I know what I would rather have, but each to his own! ;)

Roughwear

rich said:
John Lever said:

Sounds like a recipe for the most expensive Irvin repro of all time.........

Rich, I think you are correct. His batch of 12 time worn late war jackets will be very nice and sought-after no doubt, but I would still rather have a decent original which has seen RAF service and has the correct zips.