• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

ZuZu

The link is in the post you quoted.
So I looked through that link. I see a bit of slightly off stitching and a couple of mistakes. The funny stitching on the back of the G-1 collar is a total non-issue. Mis-matched pocket heights is a total non-issue. Funny stitching around the cuff is a total non-issue. All these are a result of industrial sewing and I think that more repros should have some of this.

The 2 zipper examples are a bit more striking but again- nothing which affect function. The first example with the stich line in the zipper tape is pretty common (although not usually that obvious). It has to do with the order of sewing and the basically blind stitch of the windflap. From the front it's not really noticeable- neh?

WZ1999's Monarch is to me the only example of truly wonky stitching. It's a mistake which surprisingly didn't seem to affect function but it's ugly.

I really don't think this thread makes the argument for really wonky sewing- just that fast sewing in an industrial setting can lead to some discrepancies.

ZuZu

Jeff, I think “really wonky” might be in the eye of the beholder. For people who are used to the machine like precision of modern repros, all of those things would count as really wonky. But yes, as you said, all the kit was pretty serviceable.
Agreed. I would say though that uneven pocket heights, visible stich lines in zipper tape and imperfect sewing on the cuff stich (on G-1s) or not perfectly circular leather/cuff transitions (on A-2s) are coomon characteristics of originals and should be an option on a repro.

Wonky stitching like really uneven windflap stitch lines or really uneven seams or really uneven zipper tape (like WZ's Monarch) are not to be emulated. IMO

Sideslip

My wife and kids are visiting her parents in Northern California. I was supposed to go but work and house renovation took me out of that trip. I was idly thinking that maybe I should have gone as it is a mere 600 miles away from my in laws compared to the 6000+ or whatever miles from London. Maybe there is even a small commuter plane from Eureka? Then I would find out that John is on holiday in the UK or something :p. Anyways, it would be cool.

Wz1999

My last GW A-2 arrived this morning. It is a Knopf 18246-P in Russet Shinki HH.
IMG_5433.jpeg

Last edited: