• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

My first Original (a notorious one at that)

Edward

Alright crew, don’t laugh at me nor cry as I knew what I was doing going in on this but until it rots away I think I have something of a fun original A-2 to enjoy until it dies or I die… either way it’ll be coming soon enough for both. LOL!
After everything I knew about them I still purchased a notorious I. Spiewak & Sons A-2. I know, I know… this was an impulse buy. So red flags be damned!
The criteria: I wanted a wearable A-2. It needed to fit and wasn’t attributed or heavily patched so I would not feel terribly guilty wearing a piece of WWII AAF history and worrying about adding more wear and tear. This jacket is a very roomy size 44. Quite frankly I thought for certain the arms would be too short or the shoulders too tight but I feel like I’m wearing a size 46! Very comfy with long arm length!
The leather is fine but yes, there are a couple of small trouble spots. I have a lot of pics so bear with me as I meet the image limit per post...

So here it is…
I. Spiewak & Sons
W535ac 28820__42-18776P
Patched: 2nd Bomb SQ., 22nd Bomb Group 5th AAF (B-26 Marauder / B-25 Mitchells and B-24 Liberators) I’m going with a crew member of a Marauder :)
(I see Andrew in Australia has an Aussie made A-2 with the same patch!)

The liner appears to be original with only some minor wear and a couple tiny holes but not certain. Sadly the cuffs and waistband were replaced with black knits. They feel like cotton or a poly/cotton mix but not wool. They are in excellent condition so for now I don’t intend to replace them considering the jacket may not last long anyway.
IMG_6229.jpg
IMG_6074.jpg
IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
IMG_6079.jpg
IMG_6080.jpg
IMG_6081.jpg
IMG_6082.jpg
IMG_6083.jpg

Edward

A few areas of red rot starting on the epaulettes, a small area on the back top shoulder and tiny spot on the backside of arm. Not sure how fast this spreads or the extent of the dry rot but I purchased KLUCEL G from preservation solutions
which is used to treat leather that is starting to deteriorate with “red rot”. The Klucel G (also known as Cellugel ) will consolidate the red rot area and leave a permanent, flexible webbing throughout the leather to strengthen and extend the life of the leather. So hopefully by applying this solution I can strengthen the area and slow the deterioration so I can continue to wear it. We shall see.

IMG_6084.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_6095.jpg
IMG_6096.JPG

Edward

This is my first original, first Goatskin.. perhaps not the smartest purchase and certainly not any kind of investment but now I can check off Original vintage A-2 for my collection and take my rightful seat at the Vintage Leather Jackets forum legitimately. Now that I have taken the plunge I’m sure I’ll be looking for another original in the future.

here is what I purchased to strengthen the red rot weak areas

KlucelG1.jpg
KlucelG2.jpg

Silver Surfer

actually, not too shabby at all. you went in with eyes open, and made a sound decision. those original spiewaks were sized in an odd way. most are at least one size larger then tagged, and have awfully wide shoulders. looks like ya have a handle on the ubiquitous spiewak red rot. the product that you are using for it is a revelation to me.

Edward

actually, not too shabby at all. you went in with eyes open, and made a sound decision. those original spiewaks were sized in an odd way. most are at least one size larger then tagged, and have awfully wide shoulders. looks like ya have a handle on the ubiquitous spiewak red rot. the product that you are using for it is a revelation to me.
I was surprised at the sizing as well and thought it was mislabeled. I wear a modern 42 in Eastman jackets and was certain I needed a 44 or 46 in WWII sizing. most jackets that come available are 36,38 and 40... I was hesitant on a 42 as I knew they were sized smaller than today's 42 so when this 44 came up I pondered it for some time before committing to the red rot catch-22 LOL! surprisingly this jacket is spacious and baggy. which is good... I can eat some hotdogs!

before I purchased this I did research on red rot just to be fully aware of what I was facing after having read posts here of course. when I came across this company that ships to museums world wide I thought this might be a solution for a temporary fix being the jacket is only just starting to show degradation. for all I know the entire jacket is about to burst into red rot but what areas I can see and feel I think I can arrest for the time being with this snake oil. but if it works then I might get a few years out of this A-2. Until I find an original 44 in HH. LOL!

B-Man2

Ed
I have a feeling that jacket is going to be around a lot longer than you might think. Spiewaks can be fragile once they start to go but you have a lot of life left in that one. If you didn’t go completely overboard with the purchase price of the jacket , I’d say you’ve got a winner!
Cheers

Edward

Ed
I have a feeling that jacket is going to be around a lot longer than you might think. Spiewaks can be fragile once they start to go but you have a lot of life left in that one. If you didn’t go completely overboard with the purchase price of the jacket , I’d say you’ve got a winner!
Cheers
well, it was a bit pricey... how do you feel about me dropping $1,225.00 shipped for a vintage original in pretty good wearable condition?

B-Man2

well, it was a bit pricey... how do you feel about me dropping $1,225.00 shipped for a vintage original in pretty good wearable condition?
Ed
If you’re happy with it, that’s all that counts. I think the price is in the ball park. I might have tried to get a price reduction for the knits, which in time you get tired of and want to replace them with more accurate ones . Don’t fret that, just crank up your air conditioner and try and enjoy your new purchase in the midst of this crappy heat wave.:)

Edward

thanks and agreed. I'm quite happy with it and can't stop looking at it. lol! I put it on a couple of times. feels really good. prices of originals has shot way up recently... hard to find one with a reasonable price AND in my size lol!
It does seem to have plenty of life in it. I don't have a wife or girlfriend to blow my money on so I spoil thyself. LOL! if at some point I feel I can justify replacing the knits I will. lets see what this looks like by next year. for now, I await November!

Edward

Ed
By the way , I forgot to mention that it does look good on you!
Congrats!!
well, maybe I can pick up some dames and go dancin' LOL! part of the impulse buy was my interest in the widow maker. being I have a B-26 identification poster and cruver spotter model seemed appropriate to add an A-2 with a 2nd/22nd patch known for flying Marauders. :cool:

I can't imagine wearing leather in the South Pacific. :eek: