• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Original (a notorious one at that)

Smithy

I love vintage goat, it's sometimes under appreciated by a lot of people with horsehide getting all the oohs and aahs.

The Cellugel will consolidate the rot but be careful with it and try and avoid excessive humidity or really extreme temperature fluctuations and too much harsh, direct sunlight. Remember this stuff is mostly used on leather in museum type settings and temperature and UV controlled environments. Use some common sense and that jacket will be fine, just remember she's an old girl and needs to be treated well ;-)

Also, make sure the lid is properly on the Cellugel. It will evaporate over time if not.

Edward

I love vintage goat, it's sometimes under appreciated by a lot of people with horsehide getting all the oohs and aahs.

The Cellugel will consolidate the rot but be careful with it and try and avoid excessive humidity or really extreme temperature fluctuations and too much harsh, direct sunlight. Remember this stuff is mostly used on leather in museum type settings and temperature and UV controlled environments. Use some common sense and that jacket will be fine, just remember she's an old girl and needs to be treated well ;-)

Also, make sure the lid is properly on the Cellugel. It will evaporate over time if not.
thanks for the tips! even though I consider this a wearer it won't be a daily. it will be on those cold cloudy but no rain days on a Sunday going to a coffee shop... to look at dames. LOL!

B-Man2

thanks for the tips! even though I consider this a wearer it won't be a daily. it will be on those cold cloudy but no rain days on a Sunday going to a coffee shop... to look at dames. LOL!
You wear that jacket and it’s a sure thing they’ll be looking back .,.It is a pretty cool looking piece of kit..;)

Smithy

Good man. The guy who wore that would have wholeheartedly approved!

Edward

My wife tells me these jackets make guys look good . Makes their shoulders wider and their waists look trimmer. She likes them and wishes they made one strictly for women.
well thats interesting! had no idea!
I always heard women like the dad/ grandpa look especially if they wear old spice, leather, and smell like coffee and 5w-20 :D

maybe creepy old guy is in now? lol!

Smithy

I forgot to say Edward, the two collar snap thing is great. Originals have these types of imperfections which make them so unique and so different from the almost perfectly crafted top end repros. These original jackets were made with a war on, the workers in the factories were trying to bang as many out as possible to reach production quotas. IMHO they have more charm and that "handmade with a war on" look to them which is quite different from the clinical precision of top tier repros.

Edward

I forgot to say Edward, the two collar snap thing is great. Originals have these types of imperfections which make them so unique and so different from the almost perfectly crafted top end repros. These original jackets were made with a war on, the workers in the factories were trying to bang as many out as possible to reach production quotas. IMHO they have more charm and that "handmade with a war on" look to them which is quite different from the clinical precision of top tier repros.
I agree.... when evaluating this jacket the double snaps mistake was a big factor in my actually wanting it! it made it interesting and gave it even more character! I'm sure that person didn't make that mistake again! lol! it makes it a true one of a kind with a nice if not imaginary story to go with it. to me its not a flaw but a unique feature to show off!

Smithy

I agree.... when evaluating this jacket the double snaps mistake was a big factor in my actually wanting it! it made it interesting and gave it even more character! I'm sure that person didn't make that mistake again! lol! it makes it a true one of a kind with a nice if not imaginary story to go with it. to me its not a flaw but a unique feature to show off!

We have 4 original wartime used A-2s here at the museum I worked at. Every single one has slightly misaligned pockets, not from wear but compared to the original hemline, with one pocket being slightly higher than the other. Not hugely out of whack but around a quarter to half an inch, something you'll never see in a high end repro. Also every single one has wonky stitching in places and the pocket flaps aren't exactly perfectly scalloped or shaped compared to the opposite side. One even has the flap wider than the pocket.

They're well made though as they've survived combat flying but it just goes to show that aesthetics were a secondary consideration compared to functionality.

Edward

We have 4 original wartime used A-2s here at the museum I worked at. Every single one has slightly misaligned pockets, not from wear but compared to the original hemline, with one pocket being slightly higher than the other. Not hugely out of whack but around a quarter to half an inch, something you'll never see in a high end repro. Also every single one has wonky stitching in places and the pocket flaps aren't exactly perfectly scalloped or shaped compared to the opposite side. One even has the flap wider than the pocket.

They're well made though as they've survived combat flying but it just goes to show that aesthetics were a secondary consideration compared to functionality.

Precisely why I wanted an original in my collection for authenticity. Check out the pocket snap not centered and the other the pocket flap alignment is to the left a touch ! I love this sort of thing!
75E4DF88-0E8A-4582-B5C3-AB451FD4782F.jpeg
CFF75C93-24C8-4F01-9DAA-0B6131A5A287.jpeg

B-Man2

I’m with you guys , I have an original that has one pocket an inch higher than the other pocket and it’s a treasure. Wouldn’t trade it or sell it for anything. Shows the true mindset of jacket making during wartime . Throw em together and get em out to the troops. Could you just imagine getting a GW or ELC with that kind of set up. Man we’d be posting it and killing the maker on the forum.

Edward

Could you just imagine getting a GW or ELC with that kind of set up. Man we’d be posting it and killing the maker on the forum.
I was thinking the same. it takes us vintage original nuts that know the nuances and minutia and appreciate why its there to want this sort of thing. the typical or non fan would return a jacket to ELC if the pockets were tilted and the snaps off centered. :D :D personally I think the repro guys should offer "War Time Authentic Details" versions of their jackets... I suppose some do by selling off trainer jackets... those are the ones to look for. if the stitching is off a bit and alignment is asymmetric then you are getting a period correct version!.. crap, I guess the market value would go up instead of discounted as trainer jackets... I guess I need to keep my yap shut! lol!

Edward

have to say though, whoever stitched mine knew what the hell they were doing. the stitching is disappointingly perfect all over the jacket. dammit. lol!