• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first leather Five Star A2

Chris 55

Understandable albeit with a repro in my view, you should be confident in getting your true size - def go up a size for an original though! Much easier when we could try before we buy before internet buying!!

As it was my first I was stepping in to the unknown and my chest size is 44/45 could have possibly gotten away with a 44 but have the longer arms.
But now I have a benchmark for other jackets.

bseal

Looks good, now to wear it in all weather and dont baby it.
Yes, un-snap the collar. Google Jimmy Stewart Bomber Pilot (or You Gotta Stay Happy movie) and you'll see how a RW is meant to be worn! ;)

1636554657652.jpeg

Kermit3D

Jimmy Stewart was 6′ 3" (191 cm) tall and very thin. His A-2 looks very small on him, look at the sleeves...
Even with an undersized fit, he still looks incredibly classy !

FRE_001870.jpg

Sorry for the off topic.

Chris 55, I personally don't think your A-2 is too big. I think it works very well.

Brettafett

Not to go off topic, but its RW-talk ;)
Jimmy's RW1401 is a size 40, so yes, its on the short side, but if you watch You Gotta Stay Happy (have to buy the DVD), you can see that he wears it well.
Its interesting to compare the jacket in YGSH with Winning Your Wings above (when the jacket was relatively new.
YGSH was filmed post WW2 and at that time he had his old bomb squadron patch sewn on.
Jimmy_Stewart_YGSH_e.jpg
DjX_c4MU8AAj2Rx.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris 55

Jimmy's RW1401 is a size 40, so yes, its on the short side, but if you watch You Gotta Stay Happy, you can see that he wears it well.
Its interesting to compare the jacket in YGST with Winning Your Wings above (when the jacket was relatively new.
YGSH was filmed post WW2 and at that time he had his old bomb squadron patch sewn on.
View attachment 68916 View attachment 68917

That's fantastic it's turning into a great topic.

busdrivermike

That’s a great looking jacket, looks like a nice comfortable practical fit that allows
For a sweater, I look forward to seeing how it looks once you’ve worn it for bit

Flightengineer

Jimmy's RW1401 is a size 40, so yes, its on the short side, but if you watch You Gotta Stay Happy (have to buy the DVD), you can see that he wears it well.
Its interesting to compare the jacket in YGSH with Winning Your Wings above (when the jacket was relatively new.
View attachment 68916 View attachment 68917

Always liked him as an actor and as a guy who made a serious career in aviation. Every time I visited Dayton I "froze" for some time in front of this showcase.