• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First B-3 Jacket from Simmons Bilt. Fit Advice Welcome!

Hi
So this is my first B-3 jacket. Definitely is shorter than my usual leather jackets front length wise. Back length is OK.
I'm 188 cm or 6ft2, and the back length is 64 cm or 25.25 inches. The front length, as I measured, seems to be about 4-5 cm shorter than my usual leather jackets with the same back length.
I know the B3s are supposed to be worn short, but anyway, what do you all think?

Thanks for the help

Southoftheborder

Looks like a nice jacket. It might be bit on the short side though. Maybe if you wore the kind of high waisted trousers that were the norm back then...

Steve27752

Hi
So this is my first B-3 jacket. Definitely is shorter than my usual leather jackets front length wise. Back length is OK.
I'm 188 cm or 6ft2, and the back length is 64 cm or 25.25 inches. The front length, as I measured, seems to be about 4-5 cm shorter than my usual leather jackets with the same back length.
I know the B3s are supposed to be worn short, but anyway, what do you all think?

Thanks for the help

Welcome to VLJ Savage.dragon.
By way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

B-Man2

The jacket looks nice but the front is slightly short. I don’t think anyone will notice that unless it’s brought to their attention.

Cocker

It depends. If you plan on wearing it with modern trousers, it may be a tad too short (but it's still covering the top of your belt). If you wear this repro of a period jacket with period fitting trousers, with higher waist, it will be just fine.

Micawber

A-3 shearling trousers came way, way up so a B-3 of that length would not have presented a problem. Period cut high waist trousers would suit that jacket well but it looks a tad short for modern lower waist.

johnwayne

The fact you are asking for comments suggests to me that personally you poss think it is a bit short? I've an original 60's MA1 and a BR B10 that on the odd occasion make me feel as I suspect you might be feeling but most of the time I'm happy - basically what I'm saying is it's personal but if you've any doubts can you not get an exchange for a slightly longer one? It looks pretty much spot on in every other respect but maybe an inch or two longer may give you piece of mind albeit once exchanged might make wish you'd stuck with this!! Sorry, that's probably of no help at all!!!

The fact you are asking for comments suggests to me that personally you poss think it is a bit short? I've an original 60's MA1 and a BR B10 that on the odd occasion make me feel as I suspect you might be feeling but most of the time I'm happy - basically what I'm saying is it's personal but if you've any doubts can you not get an exchange for a slightly longer one? It looks pretty much spot on in every other respect but maybe an inch or two longer may give you piece of mind albeit once exchanged might make wish you'd stuck with this!! Sorry, that's probably of no help at all!!!

You are right. I will ask if I can exchange it for something else. Problem is, this is a made to order jacket, so if they even accept return, I'll have to wait for maybe 4 weeks for them to remake it. No idea how it works though, as I've only ever purchased ready made leather jackets from the store.

johnwayne

Frustrating I bet, especially when you've probably been excitedly waiting for its arrival! Hopefully it'll work out fine, patience is a virtue so best of luck.

dmar836

Thanks for posting a bio!
As for the B-3 it depends on what you want. We here often find ourselves wanting something historically accurate, something comfortable in every axis of daily life, something affordable, blah, blah. Makers have been mercilessly ridiculed for openly admitting the addition of just 2” to a jacket’s pattern to satisfy your very problem. With your hands on your hips I think the length looks perfectly fine compared to original fit. Remember, an original can be a bum freezer too. When buying repro pattern jackets expectations are often a bigger problem than actual quality or “look” IMO.
Welcome aboard!
Dave
P.S. I wear a repro B-3 just about exclusively for scraping ice off the vehicles - seldom, if ever, in public. It is shorter but even in single digit temps(F) I cannot remember feeling my butt was getting too cold. (That’s a separate issue that was solved when I began wearing pants outside!) If the B-3 rode up exposing my bare back I’m sure I would feel otherwise.
P.S.S. My points accidentally support the above mentioned considerations of accuracy and function. Just not affordability.

Still using the old Aero patterns stolen in 2012 by the look
Hi Ken. I have heard of the past history. I am aware it's a sensitive topic around here.
However, can you enlighten me that, if SB used your old Aero 2012 pattern, how come the front length is that short, despite the fact tthat I already asked for an additional 3cm to be added to the back length?

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi Ken. I have heard of the past history. I am aware it's a sensitive topic around here.
However, can you enlighten me that, if SB used your old Aero 2012 pattern, how come the front length is that short, despite the fact tthat I already asked for an additional 3cm to be added to the back length?

Those old sheepskin patterns that Will Lauder copied weren't 100% when they went AWOL (See threads about the Irvin tubular sleeve, still in use too)
The balance of the B-3 sleeves was way off we found this out when we came back, the armholes were worn away with 20 odd years of cutting and use. One major reason for the front sticking up
We had to recut the whole lot from scratch, not because they'd been copied/removed but because they were knackered.
Who knows if the same was added to the front?

Thanks for posting a bio!
As for the B-3 it depends on what you want. We here often find ourselves wanting something historically accurate, something comfortable in every axis of daily life, something affordable, blah, blah. Makers have been mercilessly ridiculed for openly admitting the addition of just 2” to a jacket’s pattern to satisfy your very problem. With your hands on your hips I think the length looks perfectly fine compared to original fit. Remember, an original can be a bum freezer too. When buying repro pattern jackets expectations are often a bigger problem than actual quality or “look” IMO.
Welcome aboard!
Dave
P.S. I wear a repro B-3 just about exclusively for scraping ice off the vehicles - seldom, if ever, in public. It is shorter but even in single digit temps(F) I cannot remember feeling my butt was getting too cold. (That’s a separate issue that was solved when I began wearing pants outside!) If the B-3 rode up exposing my bare back I’m sure I would feel otherwise.
P.S.S. My points accidentally support the above mentioned considerations of accuracy and function. Just not affordability.

Well, this is my first time owning a WW 2 era jacket, so I prepared myself that the fit might feel odd compared to, say, your usualy modern Levi's or whatever. Anywany I really didn't expect the front length to be that... different. Usually my Levi's leather trucker with a back length of 62 cm would have a front length of 66cm, for example. Here, it's the opposite: the front length is maybe 4 cm shorter than the back length. Quite strange. I will keep your feedbacks here in mind and I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Darn it, I was pretty excited to get it too.
So, in your opinion, how did the people in WW 2 wear their B3s? Right at the belt, above the belt, or 1-2" below the belt?

Ken at Aero Leather

These guys have the right look
B-3.jpg