• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first A2

aerob6girl

Hello Gentleman (and ladies other than myself),

I have officially purchased my first A2 jacket. I'd like some feedback from you all in regards to the purchase, because even though the only jackets I have are vintage issue shearlings (Aero B6 and a Navy M445A along with a late issue G1) a good A2 is something I've always wanted. This one seemed to be a good first purchase. It's a late 70's (looks like 1978) contract Avirex A2 but it's a very nice one. For under $100 this size 42 jacket really called my name (and I certainly wasn't actively looking, I just sort of stumbled onto it) - at any rate, here's the ebay listing so please take a look and feel free to give me any feedback regarding the purchase. I feel as a first purchase A2 it's a great deal, I feel it's a good first A2 - please take the time to peruse the photos and give me genuine commentary regarding the jacket as a whole as I know you gentlemen will do. Thanks a million and my sincere hopes that all is well with everyone :)

Jacket link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0369269353

aerob6girl

Also, I almost forgot - can anyone tell me if this is horse or goat? Again, any and all feedback greatly appreciated. :)

Andrew

Well done, looks like a great jacket for the price and nicely aged. I'd guess that it's not goat but it does appear to have some grain thing happening.

aerob6girl

Thanks! How does Steerhide rate in quality, etc? Can anyone tell me a bit about it or link me to more information regarding flight A2's?

A

Anonymous

Looks cool, hard to tell from those pics.

Post a few more pics when you get it.

Congrats on your first A-2.

dujardin

congratsssss.............;
now you are dead.... you have the virus in you
one ... 2... 3.... aso aso....

Chandler

My old Avirex horsehide A-2 has a specific label in it touting Genuine Horsehide. Not sure when they started the practice, mine was purchased in the early 90s.

Nonetheless, by the looks of the pictures it appears you have an Avirex from back i n the days that their hides were pretty decent, enjoy and don't fret over the origin of the hide.

Chandler

Peter Graham

Hey, that looks darn good. If you were inclined to replace the knits with ones of the correct colour it would look even better.

jack aranda

Hi, aerob6girl, and welcome. Nice jacket. I agree with Andrew (not goat) and bseal (probably steer) and with all comments as to the way-coolness of your first A-2.

RAYMUNDO

If the grain is pebbled it is goat and that will be obvious. If the grain is smooth with some creasing it could be steer or horsehide. If you email the former owner, he might remember since he purchased the jacket new. Anyway, the jacket looks to be in excellent condition and is a winner for your first A-2. Don't be afraid to wear it in all kinds of weather and let the leather age naturally. Enjoy!

Ray

Atticus

Aerob6girl, I predict that you will come to love that A-2. I own two issued Averix A-2s and they are still two of my most-worn jackets. They are both from the same contract, but the top one is my favorite. It came to me well broken in and full of character.

carolinagame088.jpg

Dscn3636.jpg

AF

aerob6girl

Thank you gentlemen! I have wanted a right-for-me A2 for years now, since when I first joined this board a few years ago - but it never really came to be. I even posted a WTB, but while my heart was certainly quite in it (buying the right first A2 is scary, guys!), I saw this jacket and thought to myself "this is a jacket that's the right size and one the boys could certainly approve of, I think!" and thanks for the wonderful feedback! I've been trying to cruise the old threads since I've been out of touch a bit - but I must say it certainly is good to be back! I'll post some photos as soon as the jacket arrives, hope all is well!

aerob6girl

Those are two gorgeous jackets! Granted, I'm still a newbie with all this but I like what I see. :) Thanks again for the feedback!

MikeyB-17

That looks like a good 'un-trouble is, now you've got that, you'll be wanting other, more expensive ones. Soon you won't be satisfied with that one, soon you'll be eyeing up Eastmans, Aeros, RMs and Goodwears! You're on the slippery slope! Make room in your wardrobe! Enjoy! :lol:

navvet

Aerob6girl, your patience and careful hunting really paid off. If this is the only A2 you ever own(not likely now that the bug has bitten) you can be proud of your choice. :D

A

Anonymous

very nice jacket, great price. I have had 5 of the steer hide, and a horsehide. The older Avirex a decent jacket, you got a nice broken in jacket, enjoy.