• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1938 Dubow (RMNZ) - A decade later.

PADDY_M

Just thought some of you might be interested to see an upper end repro from RMNZ after a decade of wear. This is a Size 40, pre-war 1938 model Dubow in russet horsehide. No HWT on this baby, just pure wear-and-tear. The Hookless Zip is now minus its' puller (so I've stuck a small ring pull onto it, and it works fine).

The knits are getting somewhat tatty/ratty as is the lining around the inside collar area, but I feel it all adds to it looking pretty authentic! This was made 'before' RMNZ stuck their own name label in the pocket, so there's no evidence as such to show that this one is a repro (scary huh!!). A nice mix of smooth and jerky hide make this a pretty convincing looking A-2!! see what you think...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It does look convincing ... obviously I don't wear mine enough.

If I remember, this jacket was a one-off special, made as a thankyou gift. Is it essentially the 27798 pattern, with the addition of the Hookless zipper, or were other changes made?

PADDY_M

Band of Brothers 'Thank-you' present.

As I understand, it was originally made by RMNZ for one of the Producers working on 'Band of Brothers.' (RMNZ made many of the leather jackets for the HBO series). Shame it doesn't have a Certificate or letter of authenticity relating to that, but then 'why should it,' as it was a gift by the company to 'this' Producer chap (as I suppose this 'link' would interest some folk), but it's neither 'here nor there!' It's just a lovely jacket and I've really enjoyed BEASTING the BLAZES out of it!!! .

Roughwear

The jacket looks superb Paddy, just like a well worn original.

I'm a little puzzled why you say it's 1938 as this is a copy of Dubow's 1942 penultimate contract with a Hookless style zipper. The first Dubow contract dates from 1941 (W535ac20960) and had a collar stand which this one doesn't have.

Wow! That is awesome Paddy. I really need to start wearing my RMNZ Roughwear more! Seems like that jacket will never break in!

A

Anonymous

Looks great Paddy !

Is the hide as thick as it looks ? It looks a lot like an Aero oil-pull A-2 I had for a few years a while back. Similar bullet-proof looking hide. You have a lot of experience with Aero's, would you say I'm right ?

Dave

Andrew

My 4 year old RMDubow is a beautifully built jacket, fits great and smells even better but it doesn't have that beautiful finish. As That series were made with aniline hides weren't they?

navvet

Thank you, Andrew for the historical accuracy concerning the style of the jacket, i.e. : probably a 1941, or 1942 model. :idea:

Roughwear

navvet said:
Thank you, Andrew for the historical accuracy concerning the style of the jacket, i.e. : probably a 1941, or 1942 model. :idea:

The contract label and the details (not the zip) are typical of the W535ac27798 contract which dates from the 1942 fiscal year. This is thought to have been Dubow's largest A2 contract and surviving examples are more common than the two preceding contracts.