• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mustang in Galveston

kiltie

I just posted on the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas, but felt that the Mustang deserved its own thread.

Named Galveston Gal after Captain Raymond Lancaster's plane, I had the good fortune of seeing this plane fly. For a cool 2k USD, I coulda gotten a ride, too, buuuuut...

Captain Lancaster flew the P-47 and the P-51B and D, all called Galveston Gal, in the European theater. He was credited with three German planes shot down and one damaged over 70 missions before his aircraft was critically hit on a V-2 rocket base raid. He managed to guide his P-51D to Sweden, where he crash landed and was interned. After some time, he was repatriated and returned to the US to be an instrument instructor.

Here is his group insignia for you patch nuts -

I've seen the P-51 in the air at different shows, but have never been fortunate enough to see one from roll out to start-up to take-off and in the air.

All this from about 20-25 feet away and...it almost seems trite...but quite thrilling.

Skip

Must have been something to hear her start up :D Love the sound of a Merlin

EMBLEMHUNTER

Nothing "Trite" about seeing ,hearing and Enjoying a beautiful aircraft like that in it's proper element !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 51 is THE aircraft as far as I'm concerned !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the Squadron emblem , I've done the leather patch of this one before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chandler

Used to be a Wisconsin Mustang owner a few years back. Was jet-skiing with friends on a small lake when I hear this "sound" from over the top of the trees behind us. P-51 zooms over the lake at low altitude -- was pretty damn exciting to experience.

The Mustang banks wide on the far end of the lake and comes back around. I'm standing on the beach waving my arms in a back-and-forth windmill and get the pilot to wing-waggle at me -- topping the experience with a cherry.