• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murder Inc. in Nazi Newspaper

Curahee

While surfing the web I found this

KennethDWilliams.jpg

This is an article from the Nazi newspaper "Volks-Bote" (people's messenger) of 22nd december 1943 and tells the story of a 21 year old "American gangster" flyer Kenneth D. Williams who was shot down near Eggese Germany on a Bremen bomb run on 26th of November 1943. Inmagine Goebels when he first saw this photograph.

better duck

The title of the article in German:
"Solche Bestien schikt Roosevelt uebers Meer
USA Bomberstaffel 'Mordverein' - Massenmord als Ganstersport"; translated:
"Such animals Roosevelt sends overseas
USA Bombersquadrons 'Murder Incorperated' - Mass murder as Gangster sport".

So, yes, Goebbels had a field day. Authorities all over American airbases in England for a while got very critical of what was painted on those beloved jackets!

Burnsie

From Vintage Aircraft Nose Art: "Murder Inc B-26 41-18272 322 BG 8th AF Shot down, and crew captured wearing their A-2 jackets with "Murder Inc" on the back. The Germans made a propaganda film of the "Murderers" that was widely shown in Europe. After this incident there was a review of all nose art names"
There's a great pic of an original Murder Inc A-2 on pgs. 226-227 of SUIT UP! THE FLIGHT JACKET

Curahee

Wasn't this particular incident the reason that any and all jacket decorations were forbidden from then on?

John Lever

I understand that the sentiments on jackets were often used as anti allied propaganda by the Germans. The jackets were cool until you were shot down over occupied Germany.

TankBuster

Curahee said:
Wasn't this particular incident the reason that any and all jacket decorations were forbidden from then on?

No, there was never any restriction placed on decorating A-2 jackets at
any point during the war. Like others have said, they were just scrutinized
a little more than before.

rich

John Lever said:
I understand that the sentiments on jackets were often used as anti allied propaganda by the Germans. The jackets were cool until you were shot down over occupied Germany.

There's a story that Stanford-Tuck shot up a flak position whilst trying to crash land, and was apprehended by the surviving crew members when he came down in a nearby field. He climbed out of the cockpit, stood on the wing and tried, with his outstretched upper arms, to hide the long long line of swastikas painted underneath the canopy. He was expecting to be lynched on the spot, but of course fate had other plans for him.

John Wainright, in his book Tail End Charlie, thought it was madness to record a bomber's ops on the side of the aircraft because of the probable reaction this would provoke in the event of the aircraft crash landing - he thought an assumed novice crew might expect better treatment. It isn't fully known how many allied aircrew were lynched by outraged civilians but wearing jackets such as these can't have improved their chances.

A

Anonymous

Here is the saga of Murder Inc from the vets own hand written before he died on 12-9 -03 .Written by Ken Williams from the POWs Stalag Luft 1 guest book .I think it is important to read this as it so often gets misquoted ,re the who when where etc

heres the post link -
http://www.merkki.com/murderinc.htm

All the best Jeff

Chandler

Curahee said:
Inmagine Goebels when he first saw this photograph.

Yeah, then imagine Goebels after he received the results of the findings of the Wannsee Conference. The mindset of the jacket artwork pales by comparison.

Chandler

atkins

If i'm not mistaken, our friend, Ausreenactor have an ELC 27752 with this artwork.

Regards,
Atkins

Curahee

What I meant was, the face of Goebels looking at the photo as Minister of Propaganda and seeing the possibility it had, not being shocked at seeing the text on the jacket.

Why would Goebels receive a Wannsee Conference transcript ? He was one of the inner circle but he was not a member of the SS. So, he would already have known about the "Final solution" beforehand if Hitler wanted him to know, or he didn't know about the details discussed at the conference.

From what I understand and read in the biography of Albert Speer there was a sperate gathering of top Nazi's leaders months later, where Speer among ohters heard about the plans of destroying all the "undesired elements".

Chandler

I knew what you meant, and that Goebbels would have been licking his chops at the chance to exploit Americans as "murderers." My comment was directed to the point that Goebbels had no leg to stand on (figuratively and literally) in calling others cold blooded killers.

Curahee said:
Why would Goebels receive a Wannsee Conference transcript ?

Because he was one of Hitler's top 3. Speer wasn't, and who knows just what he actually knew. I have the feeling he remained conveniently dumb, especially post-war.

Chandler

rich

Because he was one of Hitler's top 3. Speer wasn't, and who knows just what he actually knew. I have the feeling he remained conveniently dumb, especially post-war.

Chandler[/quote]

Too right Chandler. The notion that he wasn't aware of what was going on always struck me as patently absurd - Gitta Sereny
spent half a lifetime trying to tease the truth from him, but in his position what else could have succeeded except an absolute denial? His full cooperation with the allies is well documented and made him famously unpopular with his other 'inmates'. He was by all accounts a very charming man and it must have been difficult to connect the unimaginable horror of the regime with such a erudite and talented individual. It's estimated his organizational skill kept the war in Europe going for a good 12 months longer - at the cost of how many lives? If the details in this link are true, he is finally exposed as a monumental liar - not much help to all those victims though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/ma ... teconnolly