• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mouton

Shanghai-Mayne

RTWB’s collar material, and they asked double, compared to Bronson’s.
IMG_9113.jpeg
IMG_9114.jpeg

bseal

What about the B-10 ?
On my B-10 Bronson, the collar looks like curly "sheepskin". On Bronson's site it says "Mouton fur collar", but it doesn't look like what is described in this thread.
On the B-10 Buzz Rickson (for example), the collar looks like those you can see on the G-1 (real "mouton").

Did original B-10 all have "mouton" collars ? were some made of curly sheepskin ?

I suspect a lack of precision on the collar of the B-10 Bronson.

Bronson B-10 :

View attachment 129037

Buzz Rickson B-10 :

View attachment 129039

The B-10 ELC also looks like a curly sheepskin type fur? (with a strange pointed shape) :

View attachment 129041

All this compares to the original B-10 Stagg Coat from Wz1999 :

View attachment 129045
Buzz for the win.

Shanghai-Mayne

Looks like a piece of carpet .
View attachment 129257Here’s two mouton collar replacements that were put on by Steve Sellers from a vintage mouton coat that Jan and I purchased off of eBay .
Looks stunning but that’s just my opinion.
Thank you Burt, I don’t know if that (RTWB) material is correct or not, but yours sample is much more like what I seen on historical color pic.

Skyhawk

This is interesting as I have not seen this before, and I buy a lot of vintage mouton for making jackets. This batch of vintage stuff had some hard wear over it's life. It has curled up in sections, but remains soft and uncurled in other areas. This shows a good example of how mouton can curl with age / use. This is all the same fur. Photos and mouton are a weird thing and light conditions completely change the color sometimes.
IMG_20231202_120250721.jpg

IMG_20231202_120902045.jpg

IMG_20231202_120430770.jpg

IMG_20231202_120823553_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231202_120730744.jpg

mulceber

I think we can agree. B-10 and B-15 original collars could be either mouton or sheepskin. Yes?
I don't think that's been established at all. As far as I can tell, original B-10, B-15, and Navy jacket collars were mouton. In a lot of cases hard wear ( the collar rubbing against the neck of someone who very well might be sweating) would cause the fibers to curl back up again, which might cause them to resemble sheepskin, but it was mouton, and out of the box the fibers were meant to be straight.
28000DC8-EAEC-432C-AC36-04603EF25305_1_105_c.jpeg

36FF55EA-3835-4044-A66F-96CE26509C75_1_105_c.jpeg

3F285414-E771-4965-9FD2-42FCC5677171_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Micawber

Judging by the close-up photos I posted of newly issued cream collar B-10's I would say that were a plain fleece as opposed to processed mouton. But the interest in sheep fluff is getting a bit too intense for me, I'm only 1/4 Welsh, if I was 100% it may be different [that may be a tad obscure to many here].

mulceber

Judging by the close-up photos I posted of newly issued cream collar B-10's I would say that were a plain fleece as opposed to processed mouton. But the interest in sheep fluff is getting a bit too intense for me, I'm only 1/4 Welsh, if I was 100% it may be different [that may be a tad obscure to many here].
Oh, I got that one. :p I agree that we don't need to rake companies like Eastman and Bronson over the coals for using sheepskin, especially since well-worn mouton starts to resemble sheepskin. But it is a point worth noting.

ZuZu

I don't think that's been established at all. As far as I can tell, original B-10, B-15, and Navy jacket collars were mouton. In a lot of cases hard wear ( the collar rubbing against the neck of someone who very well might be sweating) would cause the fibers to curl back up again, which might cause them to resemble sheepskin, but out of the box all the fibers were meant to be mouton.
View attachment 129979
View attachment 129981
View attachment 129983
I'm pretty sure all of the B-10s and B-15s with a dark collar were supposed to be mouton. The white collars are obviously sheepskin. The FE2 outer jacket of the electrified flying suit also had sheepskin collars on some examples.

ZuZu

Oh, I got that one. :p I agree that we don't need to rake companies like Eastman and Bronson over the coals for using sheepskin, especially since well-worn mouton starts to resemble sheepskin. But it is a point worth noting.
If we don't who will? We're the geeks! I used to think SPR was an accurate depiction 'til I went to a militaria forum and found out all the things wrong with various scenes and the uniforms etc. It helped open my eyes- this was back during the Free Internet- people were a lot more real and less sensitive then IMO.

Micawber

Re the light cream / white collars; I submit again the following images,there is little doubt these almost new out of the box originals [from original unpublished base ID photos] are sheepskin. The names ELC, Bronson et al did not pass my lips, no sir. The darker, pussy / rabbit fur like mouton is an entirely different kettle of fish.

FMIA 01.jpg
J 01.jpg
S 01.jpg

Micawber

If we don't who will? We're the geeks! I used to think SPR was an accurate depiction 'til I went to a militaria forum and found out all the things wrong with various scenes and the uniforms etc. It helped open my eyes- this was back during the Free Internet- people were a lot more real and less sensitive then IMO.
Of course the internet is still a place of free speech. I think we all understand that you have vast knowledge and care deeply about mouton on original USAAF jackets v various manufacturers of reproduction jackets. Rest assured I for one have read and inwardly digested the opinions you have repeatedly shared on the matter Jeff. Thank you.

:)

Micawber

I agree- this example has beautiful dark mouton. A bit annoyng they can't keep using that- I like the Eastman B-10 pattern but I'm afraid of the collar:rolleyes:

I have been looking at that one. Perhaps, possibly, maybe, by chance, mayhap the collar of much fluffiness that resembles pussy / rabbit/ mink / <insert fluffy animal of your choice> fur was added by an owner after the jacket left the factory. Now there's a thought.

Have you met my esteemed colleague Dr Watson?

Chandler

Of course the internet is still a place of free speech. I think we all understand that you have vast knowledge and care deeply about mouton on original USAAF jackets v various manufacturers of reproduction jackets. Rest assured I for one have read and inwardly digested the opinions you have repeatedly shared on the matter Jeff. Thank you.

Need an antacid? :p;)

ZuZu

I have been looking at that one. Perhaps, possibly, maybe, by chance, mayhap the collar of much fluffiness that resembles pussy / rabbit/ mink / <insert fluffy animal of your choice> fur was added by an owner after the jacket left the factory. Now there's a thought.

Have you met my esteemed colleague Dr Watson?
You're making me feel bad about myself. you're triggering me! I don't feel this is a safe place.:(

ZuZu

I wish there was a Snowflake emogi. I feel trauma coming on.