• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most highly regarded leather grain?

Chandler

All well and good guys, but the bottom line is that any pictures you or I post isn't gonna prove what that original really looked like back in 1941. :cool:

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Grain is grain either a jacket has it or it doesn't so rock on bro lets see that Star...Some close ups of that grain would be very cool.

Chandler

bseal said:
Chandler, you're a big c*ck tease.

Neh -- I'm jest stoopid when it comes to werkin' online software. :|

Chandler

PS -- Allen, yer grain happy, but that doesn't mean grain is the end-all in FJs.

Here's a couple shots of my spray finish horse hide after a week or so. I haven't worn it a whole lot, but I have been folding it up in different positions. I've never owned an Eastman so I don't know how it compares.
IMG20071102_20080425_0001_6.jpg

IMG20071102_20080425_0001_7.jpg

IMG20071102_20080425_0001_5.jpg

fedoralover

Roughwear

airfrogusmc said:
The 27752 I had was a good weight just the hide had very little grain and had a very strange red that it wore to. Not tan like original 27752 and to change the subject a bit weren't most original Stars MUCH lighter? The dark ones were redyes?

I agree about the Star. My original Star has both a decent grain and is significantly lighter than ELC Star or RW 27752 repros. In fact is is a similar shade of russet as my original RW 23380. It's not a redye job either. There are pictures of it earlier on in the Vintage section.

airfrogusmc

fedoralover said:
Here's a couple shots of my spray finish horse hide after a week or so. I haven't worn it a whole lot, but I have been folding it up in different positions. I've never owned an Eastman so I don't know how it compares.
IMG20071102_20080425_0001_6.jpg

IMG20071102_20080425_0001_7.jpg

IMG20071102_20080425_0001_5.jpg

fedoralover

FL,
I've never seen an Eastman Star with grain anywhere near the grain on the front of your GW Dubow

airfrogusmc

Roughwear said:
airfrogusmc said:
The 27752 I had was a good weight just the hide had very little grain and had a very strange red that it wore to. Not tan like original 27752 and to change the subject a bit weren't most original Stars MUCH lighter? The dark ones were redyes?

I agree about the Star. My original Star has both a decent grain and is significantly lighter than ELC Star or RW 27752 repros. In fact is is a similar shade of russet as my original RW 23380. It's not a redye job either. There are pictures of it earlier on in the Vintage section.

Nice jacket (the original Star).

Roughwear

airfrogusmc said:
Roughwear said:
airfrogusmc said:

Nice jacket (the original Star).

This Star is a great jacket and is one I wear from time to time. Since the pics were taken last summer I have replaced the wristlets.

taikonaut

Roughwear said:
airfrogusmc said:

This link?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=160&p=549&hilit=star#p549

Swing

The stuff that gets debated here..... :roll:

How can there be one "right" weight? There were over a million of these jackets made 60 years ago. Any weight you're seeing a current manufacturer offering today, you're sure to be able to find a vintage example that matches it.

Now, if you prefer a lighter weight jacket so it drapes better, and fits more comfortably, that makes it "right" for you. That doesn't make it "the most right, most bestest repro ever".

As for the grain everyone gets a hard on for, that's the belly of the beast, the lower quality leather. While I would like to have a bit of grain (a 90% smooth jacket with some gnarly grain on the belly or underarms would suit me), I'm not willing to pay $900+ for a jacket made with lower quality leather (no matter who is making it, or how much like the originals it is).

Back to the original question posed at the beginning of this thread before it became another advertisement for GW, for myself personally, the grain of a vintage jacket doesn't make it any more valuable or collectable in my eyes. The overall condition and originality of the jacket, the contract it's from, and it's size are far more important factors in deciding worth than grain.

~Swing

airfrogusmc

I thought that I had posted that originals varied in weight :? I think I said somewhere that it could vary on the same jacket. I just think its nice that someones finally offering something DIFFERENT than the some ole same ole... For some thats kinda nice. We've CERTAINLY seen plenty of photos, talk and reviews of all the others over the years..