• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More On "Period" Looking Watches

dmar836

LOL, I actually got that one on the first try! BTW, I don't own any of the ubiquitous type...... yet.

Just to add an FYI to the thread, that conversation came about when I was following a nice 60's Omega Seamaster(agua terra). Blue dial, brown strap - it was a perfect color combo. Looked up the movement SN on the Omega site and, although not perfectly clear, found it listed only under the Geneve line of movements. Still nice but didn't match. Asked the seller about this and his abbreviated response? "Refurbished dial." So there is more evidence that many of these guys peddling watches assume the buyer won't care so much for what it inside the case. The next step is then to actually add a repro part to mimic a higher end watch. It's a slippery slope for these guys I guess(as evidenced by your other post).
I am still way too uninformed to invest in a true vintage "ubiquitous" watch.

Dave

grommet

dmar836 said:
Alan, What happened? I have a hard time paying that much for a non-USAAF watch but I know that's just me. Guess, like with jackets, we are always looking for "the watch."
Another member told me to only collect watches if you can afford to throw that money away. He was referring to high end watches and their ubiquitous fakes but the point also applies to these, I suppose. I haven't bought too many nice watches but I always try to subtract from the bid the amount of possible repair/service.
I hope he honors a return. Worse case you can have it serviced and maybe have a nice watch that is sought after by our likes.
Dave

Good points Dave!

Well...I wanted to get a Hamilton H3 ( MIL-W-46374B) but was seduced by this similar appearing civilian watch, partly because of the sapphire crystal (vs. acrylic) and, also, reasoning that it might be more durable being more modern. I also liked some of the cosmetic touches such as the raised relief "H" on the crown and the coat of arms on the back of the case. The price was about the same since the H3 is going for between $150 and $190 on eBay.

I dropped it off with a repairman in order to get a quote for servicing it. I didn't speak to him, but asked the shopgirl for a ball park estimate and she said $185. I checked online price lists for the servicing of mechanical watches which quoted from $100 to $150 so, if she is correct, his charges are a little high but not totally outrageous.

I am conflicted. One one hand, I don't want to regard something like this as so precious that money is no object. On the other hand, I like it a lot and might have trouble locating another one like it. Also, as you pointed out, any time you buy a used watch, there is a high likelihood that, soon or later, it will have to be serviced or fixed.

grommet

watchmanjimg said:
Nice score, Alan! Hopefully the watch will give you years of trouble-free service. While not original to the watch (as the seller points out), those straps look like the NATO variant of the Maratac Zulu. They're bulletproof and far superior to the cheap leather-back canvas strap the watch came with.

A word on acrylic crystals for future reference: I understand your concern regarding scratching, but most scratches can be buffed out with a soft cloth and a small amount of Brasso, Polywatch, et cetera. It's not a big deal at all, and even cracked crystals can usually be replaced cheaply. Unless you really abuse your Hamilton you should never have a problem with its sapphire crystal, but if I were you I wouldn't be put off by watches with acrylic crystals.

You have a good point about the acrylic crystal. I got a nasty smudge like scratch on my A-11 which I only improved slightly with Brillianize. I took it to a watch shop where they were able to buff it out completely.

As a follow up on the Hamilton Khaki 30 mm, I finally got it back and it runs beautifully. All it needed was cleaning. Although it ended up costing $125, the seller volunteered to pay $50 of it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
grommet said:
You have a good point about the acrylic crystal. I got a nasty smudge like scratch on my A-11 which I only improved slightly with Brillianize. I took it to a watch shop where they were able to buff it out completely.

If it happens again, first paper with a very fine grade, 1200, or a used piece of 600 ... then polish.

That's all the watch shop did. ;)

Clark J

dmar836 said:
Clark. Aren't those the larger size?

Yes 38mm,,but that's nice,,looks the part but not the real small A-11!!And nice and thin also.GREAT for jackets!!
Oh and sterling silver polish works for plastic crystals also(liquid).Clark.

Happy Hooligan

My son fell in love my Bulova A-11 so much, I got him this for xmas... and he loves it...
DSC09047.jpg

dmar836

Incidentally, I think you are correct. Ordnance watch? Maybe I should stick to calling it "Ord. watch".

Dave