• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monarch M-422 CONTRACT NO. 79633?

Erwin

Hi Folks,
Looks like an interesting rare Monarch on beloved eBay, still the best place for finding interesting jackets [in my opinion]. Based on the details there is a chance [if I see correctly] that it might be an early production run M-422 Monarch CONTRACT NO. 79633. A hide type used and design can indicate this contract [when compared to the pictures of a genuine CONTRACT NO. 79633 it looks identical - just the zipper on this one doesn't look 100% correct, but can be wrong here]. Also, see how the internal pocket is designed. This very characteristic design can be found only in early war Monarch's. Additionally, dark brown lining, black USN on the collar, and no horizontal seams - all these if I'm correct can indicate an early war jacket.

My assumption is that there is a high chance that, it is a rare contract [CONTRACT NO. 79633]. The painted artwork with the 8th Air Force is also not bad at all :)
1.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Additional items from this seller are also interesting:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

B-Man2

Interesting jacket but it raises some questions.
Why would a USN jacket be painted with an 8th Air Force logo. Next question
Why does the logo not have a name of an aircraft on the back but just bomb missions.
Lastly why does the jacket have Chinese Air Force Wings but no other patches or logos for the Flying Tigers , 14th Air Force or at least a CBI patch ?
Possibly a post war paint job?
What do you guys say?

Chandler

I suppose there could be a story behind 8th AF art on a Navy jacket -- trade or something, but I'm wary.

Also, what's going on with the jacket's right sleeve? Only one image and it's all folded under, or something.

Erwin

Hey B-Man2, just posted this like a potential Monarch CONTRACT NO. 79633. I'm curious if in fact, this can be this particular early war contract.

Regarding the artwork, cannot say anything, just assume that it might have been done after the war, just don't know. The Chinese Air Force Wings pin is just an interesting item from the same seller ;)

Chandler

Lastly why does the jacket have Chinese Air Force Wings but no other patches or logos for the Flying Tigers , 14th Air Force or at least a CBI patch ?
Are those with the jacket, or just at auction from the same seller?

mulceber

Could be fake art, but tbh, I'd think someone faking jacket art would choose something more appropriate to a Navy jacket. I find it easier to believe that someone in the 8th managed to scrounge a Navy jacket. My wife's grandfather served in the ATC, and he commented to me once that they always envied the Navy pilots their fur-collared jackets.

Chandler

Seems that the wings were posted near what looks to be a few holes which might give the impression that the wings belong to the jacket .
I think the wings are "featured" on a big chunk of old painted wood (same old barn door the jacket's on?). Marketing placement. ;)

Silver Surfer

the zipper and wrist cuffs are replacements. the zipper was done well. the measurements make this on rather small [maybe a 36 or 38], and note that the pit to pit measurement is made without the jacket zipped all the way up. art work? anyones guess. I do believe that the jacket is a monarch m-422 or 422a. even though it is a rare example, its value is off set by the lack of id, or other info, its having been monkeyed with, and small size. all that said, it may sell for a low price.

Erwin

The trouble is, the only way to tell the different early Monarchs apart from each other that I'm aware of is the zipper.
Hey, thanks, but what about the chest pocket closure design, this one looks like on early jackets to me.

mulceber

Hey, thanks, but what about the chest pocket closure design, this one looks like on early jackets to me.
Good eye! I hadn't noticed that particular detail. It looks like for the Monarch M-422 and M-422A, the inside pocket was surrounded on three sides by the liner material, while on the AN-J-3A and later, it was built into the leather facings. So this is either an M-422 or an M-422A.
CA72CA35-B895-4A31-B4C6-EF35920C463B_1_201_a.jpeg

485A6815-146E-43AF-8002-7F789D446B06_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Erwin

Cool, was wondering if I spotted this correctly ;) this pocket detail was well hidden in the picture, THX!