• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mona Lisa collar

Dr H

johnwayne said:
...and that at one point I even asked Gary if the collar had been mis-cut! I never did get a response

Yes, I find that approach usually goes down well with artisans Wayne :roll:

;)

RCSignals

I think the RW collar appears fine in manyy instances. It is remembered for the odd ones mostly though.
I wonder if aside from the circular cut of it, if the collars are maybe not too large neck diameter for the jackets sizes?

Clark J

Dork in a 1401!!
001-1.jpg

ButteMT61

So now this thread has me worried about the jacket I was going to order. I am not at all a fan of some of the pics I've seen here with that huge collar - original or not. I didn't see any pics on John's site that showed this so is it a concern or do I pick a other contract? Some of those just look bad to me. And I don't want that look for me.

RCSignals

But some also don't look bad. I think it is a matter of 'working' the collar, working ir in your hands, softening it up, and shaping it. Otherwise it does it's own thing that isn't always attractive.

unclegrumpy

ButteMT61 said:
Specific to this contract? If so, I may pass.
Not really. Most of the earlier contracts have this style collar, though the Rough Wear might be bigger looking than some of the others.

Personally, I would suggest starting your contract selection process with your size and body shape first. Some of the contracts work best if you are a fit 5'9" 24 year old, but others are more forgiving. Both the Rough Wear and Aero you are thinking about have wider bodies. Another maker to look at is Dubow....and maybe Star.....however, that is without knowing your size, but guessing you are closer to 6' and 40+ years old. :shock:

ButteMT61

6'-4", 220. 48l jacket. No gut, etc.
Talked with a couple folks here via phone and email, and the Aero (Acme) and Werber are also considerations. This one I want in dark seal, so that limits me. But he'll, I could probably be persuaded with others as they're all fantastic.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ButteMT61 said:
So now this thread has me worried about the jacket I was going to order.

If you're still thinking about the Rough Wear, it really would pay to try one first. The problem for me was the collar stand, it just wouldn't work for me, and sat out at the back of the neck.

The problem was easily solved by Dubow, but had I been ordering by telephone, I would have gone with the Rough Wear.

ButteMT61

deeb7 said:
ButteMT61 said:
So now this thread has me worried about the jacket I was going to order.

If you're still thinking about the Rough Wear, it really would pay to try one first. The problem for me was the collar stand, it just wouldn't work for me, and sat out at the back of the neck.

The problem was easily solved by Dubow, but had I been ordering by telephone, I would have gone with the Rough Wear.

Thanks. Not sure I get your last line? How would that have changed things?

unclegrumpy

ButteMT61 said:
6'-4", 220. 48l jacket. No gut, etc.
Talked with a couple folks here via phone and email, and the Aero (Acme) and Werber are also considerations. This one I want in dark seal, so that limits me. But he'll, I could probably be persuaded with others as they're all fantastic.

When you say a 48 L, I assume its a modern size. That means in a Goodwear, you will need to go up a size, since they are sized as the originals were in the 1930's/40's. If you order a jacket from John, you can have it made with whatever hide you want. 99.99% of people will never know or care that that particular contract might not have been made in dark seal.

I think all of the contracts...Rough Wear, Acme, Werber, & maybe Dubow, and Star....you are considering are all very good choices. In your size, the Werber, Dubow, and Star are all going to have a trimmer, but still comfortable fit. My suggestion might be a Dubow, because a friend of mine who is exactly your size has one, and it fits him perfectly. However, I would trust JC's recommendation. You are oversized for WW II, and he is going to know exactly what will work best for you.

One other question.....have you owned an A-2 or G-1 before? If not, it might be worth trying a 1980's to current USAF A-2 or USN G-1 first. They are out there used for around $200, and can be easily resold for that. I would stick to the issue jackets because they are not oversized for fat guys, though have modern sizing. You might find you like one style or the other better, plus, you will have a jacket to measure from. I am not suggesting this as an end point, but rather as a learning tool to be sure you get what you really want.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ButteMT61 said:

I went to the factory to buy a Rough Wear, and came back with a Dubow. Had I ordered by telephone from the catalogue, I would have ended up with the Rough Wear. If I'd figured out that it wasn't the best pattern for me, I maybe could have returned it, but without trying on others, I wouldn't have known that the Dubow suited me best.

I'm saying it's not just about sizing, and if you can try a few things first, it beats bothering eBay with the also rans.

unclegrumpy

deeb7 said:
ButteMT61 said:
I went to the factory to buy a Rough Wear, and came back with a Dubow. Had I ordered by telephone from the catalogue, I would have ended up with the Rough Wear. If I'd figured out that it wasn't the best pattern for me, I maybe could have returned it, but without trying on others, I wouldn't have known that the Dubow suited me best.

Wow! I went to the "factory" to buy a Rough Wear, and came back with a Dubow too...though mine has the manlier collar stand! :D

The real point of David's last line in his other post is to trust John's direction and advice....he wants you to be happy and for your jacket to fit. :!:

derleicaman

I would absolutely go with John's recommendations, but then what fun would that be? Acquiring jackets in search of the "one"! :D

Seriously, it helps to talk to John and to try on an A-2 or two to get the feel.

Take a look at Weasel_Loaders review of the Rough Wear 27752 in the Reviews section here on VLJ. This RW is the one in the Horween dark seal Mustang hide, and it is the jacket I acquired from him. You really don't notice the big collar on this jacket or on the RW 1401-P that John makes. It does help to "work" the collar a bit and put a "dog leg" kink in it as well.

Other contracts that work well are the Cable and Bronco. I also recently acquired a Dubow 1755 in dark seal and it is simpy stunning! One of the best fitting jackets I have so far, great modern style collar without the issues of a collar stand like the Rough Wears have, although I can't complain about the collar stands on either my 1401-P or the RW 27752. The collar on the 1755 is just about perfect as far as I'm concerned as far as look and the way it fits. The Dubows are also really comfy as far as fit goes, especailly in the shoulders for a bigger guy.

As I said in an earlier post about A-2 fit, the problem is the A-2 is a notoriously short and boxy jacket and at 6'4" this will be an issue to get the jacket to cover your belt buckle. And the design really does not work well beyond size 48. It helps that you don't have a gut. Torso height is going to be the issue for you. Again, John's advice is to measure a jacket you like and fits you well when giving him your measurements. Also, if you don't have one you need to use a cloth tape measure, not a metal one, when taking measurements.

ButteMT61

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.
Apparently, the deal with this contract is the collar is the same size for any sized jacket. Hence, the collar looks dopey on a 36 but ok on a 46. Makes sense, and thanks to JC and some kind folks here, I'm fairly confident in placing the order. Not 100% today, but I hope to finalize in a day or two...

Thanks again!

Marv

Here's a quick pic of the collar on my ELC RW 27752 as it is today, doesn't look too bad or like a clown collar IMO.......... :)

5cbf2be0.jpg

767fo

I am very fond of this collar myself :)

62c7e2ac.jpg

On a side note this pic was taken yesterday in Afghanistan while delivering mail and other supplies to our troops at Bagram Air Force base. It has been an honor to meet the service men and women who could not have been nicer.