• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MASH A-10/USN Gloves

adfrost

The latest addition to my collection...a set of A-10 gloves and a set of USN aviator gloves.

First impressions:
  • I love the period packaging for both. The A-10 came in a paper envelope and the USN came in a nice canvas drawstring bag.
  • The USN are much more supple. No need to break these in at all. The leather is buttery.
  • Not entirely sure of the practical purpose of having the sheepskin on the outside of the USN glove, but it definitely gives them a unique look. Good for wiping a runny nose in the cold, I guess.
  • The A-10 will probably be the warmer glove. They're definitely the thicker/more insulated of the two. Both are wool-lined.

A-10 Gloves
by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

USN Gloves

Wearing A-10 Gloves

Wearing USN Gloves

I also have a set of US Authentic A-10 gloves. To compare these with the MASH A-10s:
  • The knit is longer on the USA, despite being a smaller size (2 3/4" vs 2"). I think I like this better, but the MASH is probably more authentic (ironically).
  • The three stitch lines on the back of the glove are more pronounced on the USA.
  • The USA are more of a russet tone vs the chocolate/seal brown on the MASH. Both are goatskin.
  • The USAAF logo is silver on the USA vs beige on the MASH.
  • I feel like the wool-lined MASH will probably be warmer. The USA gloves were never all that warm, to be honest.

US Authentic vs MASH Comparison

Looking forward to breaking them. The A-10 will go great with my B-6 and the USN will go great with the knits on my M-442a.

B-Man2

Have a pair of US Authentic A-10 gloves and I think they work fine and look pretty good.

tjoenn

The latest addition to my collection...a set of A-10 gloves and a set of USN aviator gloves.

First impressions:
  • I love the period packaging for both. The A-10 came in a paper envelope and the USN came in a nice canvas drawstring bag.
  • The USN are much more supple. No need to break these in at all. The leather is buttery.
  • Not entirely sure of the practical purpose of having the sheepskin on the outside of the USN glove, but it definitely gives them a unique look. Good for wiping a runny nose in the cold, I guess.
  • The A-10 will probably be the warmer glove. They're definitely the thicker/more insulated of the two. Both are wool-lined.

A-10 Gloves

USN Gloves

Wearing A-10 Gloves

Wearing USN Gloves

I also have a set of US Authentic A-10 gloves. To compare these with the MASH A-10s:
  • The knit is longer on the USA, despite being a smaller size (2 3/4" vs 2"). I think I like this better, but the MASH is probably more authentic (ironically).
  • The three stitch lines on the back of the glove are more pronounced on the USA.
  • The USA are more of a russet tone vs the chocolate/seal brown on the MASH. Both are goatskin.
  • The USAAF logo is silver on the USA vs beige on the MASH.
  • I feel like the wool-lined MASH will probably be warmer. The USA gloves were never all that warm, to be honest.

Looking forward to breaking them. The A-10 will go great with my B-6 and the USN will go great with the knits on my M-442a.
I also have both types, but from ELC. I use the USN on my jackets with knits and the A-10 with the other ones. Both pair are very nice and comfortable but like you said, the A-10 needs some breaking in. They both look better the more you use them though.

Pilot

Agree with Carl on the leather triangle...On Mash a bit to short.
The knitting’s however are more realistic on the MASH A-10.

Officer Dibley

My MASH gloves arrived today. Looks like i ordered 10’s instead of 11’s :rolleyes:
Anyway, whilst i decide what to do, you can see them against my ELC ones.
MASH on top

DB4767E4-EC03-4CCD-BD60-C1A5C854B7D3.jpeg
3CC788AF-A07F-49EA-B67A-1BB9671C9BF2.jpeg
487B7BE0-6BFF-4A62-84C7-44A886CEA2C0.jpeg

Officer Dibley

Actually Carl, appearances can be deceptive.
Whilst you may be right, the knits are different - at least they feel different to my hands....
MASH leather has more grain and although that could be due to the batch of hide, i’ve had & handled several ELC pairs and that hide is thicker and no grain to speak of.
Interestingly, the fingers on the MASH, whilst a 10, are just a little longer than my 11 ELC’s....... :confused:
The MASH thumbs are better aligned for holding a steering wheel than the ELC’s too

Pilot

If they are the same then you're far better off buying direct from MASH.

MASH - 90 quid
ELC - 130 quid

The ELC price is a 44% hike on MASH's. Charming.
Absolutely right.. +/- .....point is...not many know about Mash, plus are afraid of buying from outside of UK/EU etc...
2E5AA2ED-A943-4916-A163-381BBBDAE85D.jpeg

Last edited:

Smithy

Absolutely right...point is...not many know about Mash, plus are afraid of buying from outside of UK/EU etc...

Very true. When I ordered my A-10s it was the first time I had ordered from MASH and I was slightly curious about how it would go. I needn't have worried and I was very impressed and satisfied. Good communication, fast, safe shipping and packaged beautifully.

It's a real insult if ELC are buying them from MASH because they'll be buying them at a wholesale price so the markup is much larger than comparing the retail prices between the two.

More and more of this stuff about ELC's pricing philosophy seems to come out every month and it really does come across as if they are trying to shaft their punters up the backside for as much as they possibly can.

Officer Dibley

MASH cost me £106 with priority shipping. No import charges but i might have been lucky.

If Eastman are declaring & paying import tax (as they should) , then there is your cost delta. And assuming ELC don’t buy them for the retail price, there is profit. If there wasn’t then they wouldn’t carry them ....

Who here works for free or tries to get as much salary as they can get away with ...?

Pilot

MASH cost me £106 with priority shipping. No import charges but i might have been lucky.

If Eastman are declaring & paying import tax (as they should) , then there is your cost delta. And assuming ELC don’t buy them for the retail price, there is profit. If there wasn’t then they wouldn’t carry them ....

Who here works for free or tries to get as much salary as they can get away with ...?
Yup paid 15.130 ,— J¥? = today 106,7 GB£, shipped to France. ( forgot the others in Korea but wanted some during my EU vacation).

Maybe ELC should also use the wristlets knits from Mash instead of the crapola they have now for their A-2’s.

Smithy

There's a difference between making a profit and overcharging and once again this looks like them trying to milk as much as they can out of their customers. I was also only comparing the retail pricing minus shipping as this is different for everyone whereas the item cost price is constant across geographic regions.

If they really are MASH ones then the markup must be quite sizeable as you can see that from what they're charging. ELC will be buying them for probably somewhere around 50 to 55 GBP per unit at a guess judging the retail price. If the UK is like a lot of western countries they'll probably be able to claim back some percentage of import tax and duties through things like GST/VAT rebates.

I'm just becoming more and more wary of them as a company now because all of this starts to add up to form a bigger picture after awhile. 5 price hikes in 24 months or whatever it is now, flogging gloves off at 44% more than where you can get them elsewhere. Stuff like that starts to look like greed rather than shrewd business acumen.