• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA-1 info needed

Stony

I talked to a guy that has a MA-1 jacket with the following on the label. Could anyone tell me the approximate year this is from and how rare it might be? Nylon is not my forte.

MIL-8279A
Stock 8412733971
Order# AF336028696
Tops (or maybe Topps) Apparel

Thanks in advance,

Stony

watchmanjimg

Stony said:
I talked to a guy that has a MA-1 jacket with the following on the label. Could anyone tell me the approximate year this is from and how rare it might be? Nylon is not my forte.

MIL-8279A
Stock 8412733971
Order# AF336028696
Tops (or maybe Topps) Apparel

Thanks in advance,

Stony

Stony:

I'm sure David will chime in with contract dates from the Japanese treatises, but I can tell you that in my experience the A models are relatively uncommon by comparison to the previous 8279 and subsequent 8279B versions. They are distinguished from the original spec by the rounded windflap, and from the B revision by the presence of the USAF decal on the left sleeve as well as both oxygen mask and microphone tabs. The maker of the specific jacket you mentioned is Tops Apparel.

Stony

I'm sure David will chime in with contract dates from the Japanese treatises, but I can tell you that in my experience the A models are relatively uncommon by comparison to the previous 8279 and subsequent 8279B versions. They are distinguished from the original spec by the rounded windflap, and from the B revision by the presence of the USAF decal on the left sleeve as well as both oxygen mask and microphone tabs. The maker of the specific jacket you mentioned is Tops Apparel.

So based on this information, what is the ball park value of this jacket in good condition?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
I'm sure David will chime in with contract dates from the Japanese treatises ...

AF33(602)8656 TOPS APPAREL MFG CO INC ... all three 8279A Spec. contracts were from FY 1957.

Stony

Wow that is tough one. I would say 300-600 again depending on condition. But in this market who knows.

That's good to know, thanks!

AF33(602)8656 TOPS APPAREL MFG CO INC ... all three 8279A Spec. contracts were from FY 1957.

Thank you David, watchman said you'd be the one with the answers.

Are you looking it buy it Stony?

If you can manage photos of it it would be nice to see at least.

I'm picking it up this weekend. I'll post the pics soon after.

Thank you all for your help,

Stony