• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-444 USN Sheepskin Jacket - why does nobody do them?

MeachamLake

I've often wondered why these aren't more popular in the repro market - they seem like arguably the most practical and wearable of all the sheepskin designs. Lighter weight sheepskin, no cuffs to go bald, big pockets...seems like a winner to me!

Eastman was working on one, but I never heard anything more about it after this blog post...maybe I'll have to ask the Eastman guys when I see them in London in November.

https://blog.eastmanleather.com/view-post/usn-m-444-sneak-peek

m42.jpg

B-Man2

I agree . I think it’s a great design but I think the B-3 and Irvin jackets were the most notable jackets coming out of WWII so they’ve become the most marketable designs.
Also I don’t think many original M-444 or 445’s survived after the war as the tanning processes that were used caused the jackets to fall apart in later years. But I do like that style .

Skyhawk

Yes they are a fragile jackets but plenty did survive. I have had a few originals. One was near perfect but too fragile to wear. They are heavy. Just putting it on felt like I was going to over stress the jacket and rip it apart.

Steve S has the pattern for the M-445. Finding a good supplier of the proper shearling is another story. They are complicated and costly jackets to build. I believe that is the reason that no one is making them. They are very similar to the AN-J-4 jacket.

Regards,
Jay

Tommy

I've often wondered why these aren't more popular in the repro market - they seem like arguably the most practical and wearable of all the sheepskin designs. Lighter weight sheepskin, no cuffs to go bald, big pockets...seems like a winner to me!

Eastman was working on one, but I never heard anything more about it after this blog post...maybe I'll have to ask the Eastman guys when I see them in London in November.

https://blog.eastmanleather.com/view-post/usn-m-444-sneak-peek

m42.jpg

WWII_M444_Pilot.jpg

One of my grails. If I ever do get to buy a Goodwear, it'll be one of their reproductions of this.

Ken at Aero Leather

I've often wondered why these aren't more popular in the repro market -

m42.jpg

We've had these in the planning stage for a couple of decades. John Lever will confirm.
It will happen (eventually) but we are going to need to rejig the Shearling area in the factory. It takes three machines per operator to make Shearling Flight Jackets and we really can't squeeze a third machinist into the area where the two lads who make ours currently work.

John Lever

Navy shearlings are my favourite apart from the Irvin. With no fleece on the hem or cuffs they are less ostentatious than others and more practical. The B3 has been in many Hollywood films so has had more hype, but doesnt work for as well in daily use.

B-Man2

Navy shearlings are my favourite apart from the Irvin. With no fleece on the hem or cuffs they are less ostentatious than others and more practical. The B3 has been in many Hollywood films so has had more hype, but doesnt work for as well in daily use.
John
Completely agree. How accurate are the White Feather repros and if you know,what do they cost?

John Lever

They are very nice to wear, very light. Not the same accuracy as RM, but they are not unicorns.
Mine cost 1k usd. 4 weeks delivery !!!
Check my review on here

MikeyB-17

I had a Willis and Geiger one which I suspect is the same as US Authentic. It was by no means a bad jacket. The sheepskin on mine was also considerably thicker than an M-444 ought to have been, more M-445 weight. My main complaint was that the windflap, when the jacket was unzipped, would flop forwards, resembling every mall jacket 'B-3' lookalike. This may have been due to the thickness of the sheepskin, not sure if originals, being thinner, would do that.

Falcon_52

I agree that the M-444 is a very practical jacket. I owned a Willis & Geiger version for many years but sold that on to fund a Good Wear version. It's really good for days where the conditions a highly variable (cold in the morning but warming later in the day, or vice versa). I have been wearing mine nearly every day this month.

I think that some good reasons have been posted on why nobody makes these. They are complex to make and I don't think there is much of a market for them - maybe 65 people worldwide want one.

Noel

zoomer

My main complaint was that the windflap, when the jacket was unzipped, would flop forwards, resembling every mall jacket 'B-3' lookalike.
I undid the stitching at the leading edge of the flap so it doesn't fold over any more. I was going to have it bound with goat but never got around to it.

zoomer

The '444 would be marginally less complex to build than the '445. It lacks a few '445 details such as the inset waist section and the leather stormflap (the '444's is integral).

A big issue is WW2 naval aviation's purely defensive status in colder climes. There is damn little glamour in antisub patrol.
wp0f3ca04c_06.png

Last edited: