• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-43 Service, AAF boots

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tranquility Base said:
The Toy Mcoys ebay link below is included for entertainment purposes only...

Yes, but after seeing them, it would be difficult to settle for either of the budget versions. My goal would be the Buzz Rickson's here ...

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/others-0004.html

But for me they'll have to keep. Bevan directed me to the local RM Williams closing down sale, and somehow I have ended up with another three pairs.

Grant

If you can find an original pair of service shoes that's always the best way to go. They're getting hard to find these days but do show up now and then. Here's an early example that I've worn over the years.
serviceshoes.jpg

WWII Impressions http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/ makes some good repros of both the russet service shoes, USMC service shoes and the Army/USMC roughouts. I really like the USMC roughouts - here's a pair I've been rocking that are about five years old.
roughout.jpg

The Mash "roughout" Army boots are first rate repros but from what I understand are sold out. Sorry I don't have a photo of mine to post.

Haven't seen the WPG or Buzz boots so can't really comment on them. Hope that helps!
Grant

Tim P

The USMC Boondockers offerd by ww2impressions have a very civi narrow toe so for wear with chinos etc are ideal, some of the boots from other manufacturers come up a little wide.
Bear in mind if choosing boots from the Cove shoe co that are 'tanned' rather than roughout that they are coated with a plastic laquer to keep the finish even and so do not polish as a ww2 boot would over time. (this can be stripped)
at the front boots are very good too although some reports have slammed them for serviceablility. they lack the plastic coating mentioned above.
the ricksons ones look closest to me but in terms of availability and value, ATF or WW2imp.

watchmanjimg

I'm hoping to revive this thread with the following question: has anyone out there purchased the Buzz roughouts? I'm in the process of ordering a pair from HPA and am wondering what current or former owners have to say, particularly regarding the sizing. I've been told they run a full size larger than normal, and therefore one should order a size smaller than one's actual measurement via foot tracing or Brannock device reading.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I don't have the roughouts, but I'm guessing the fit will be the same as the Lone Wolf (Sugar Cane) boots ... in which case, go down a half size.

My Lone Wolf size is 9.5, the same as Red Wing, which are also known to be over sized. With the Buzz Officer shoes, I take a 10.

Tim P

I would invest in buzz rufouts if the size they do was generous enough. they stop one size short of my normal foot size. If they were too big there may be hope. Not sure if that is a good thing for me or a bad thing. They are the market leaders I think even if the competition can be close at the top.

watchmanjimg

David: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get my feet measured again just to play it safe.

Tim: The consensus seems to be that they run at least somewhat larger than their indicated size. I'm not sure if this is a good thing for you either. :D

Tim P

well the ELC ones top out at 9.5. I need a UK 10/US11 eur 44 so I think they would be too small.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
well the ELC ones top out at 9.5. I need a UK 10/US11 eur 44 so I think they would be too small.

Yes Tim, it appears you're in luck. The Buzz roughouts are unavailable in your size. Your bank account will thank you! :D

EmergencyIan

I own a pair of the Army Rough-Out boots from WWII Impressions and they are really well made and wear well. I live in NYC and have done a lot of walking in them for the past three years. I believe that WWII Impressions contract with the Corcoran company here in the United States and are manufactured here as well. I know their jump boots are made by Cororan even though they aren't the "Corcoran" jump boots.

However, some sizes are sold out, at this point. It sounds like they are not sure when they will restock due to the current economy.

- Ian

watchmanjimg

EmergencyIan said:
I own a pair of the Army Rough-Out boots from WWII Impressions and they are really well made and wear well. I live in NYC and have done a lot of walking in them for the past three years. I believe that WWII Impressions contract with the Corcoran company here in the United States and are manufactured here as well. I know their jump boots are made by Cororan even though they aren't the "Corcoran" jump boots.

However, some sizes are sold out, at this point. It sounds like they are not sure when they will restock due to the current economy.

- Ian

For some time I've agonized over the WWII Impressions roughouts versus the Buzz, but a friend recently ordered the WWII Impressions version and was underwhelmed. For the difference in price they might still be worth a try, but with the size shortage this may not be an option. In any case it's good to hear that they've stood the test of time for you.

watchmanjimg

Those are fantastic! I'd consider them if they were the Army version, although they might be a tad large on me. The price will probably be astronomical. I may go for them anyway, what the hell?

kevlarg

Those will double, maybe even triple by the end. Very seldom do originals show up in anything other than extreme sizes like 5 or 13/15.

watchmanjimg

kevlarg said:
Those will double, maybe even triple by the end. Very seldom do originals show up in anything other than extreme sizes like 5 or 13/15.

That's what I'm figuring, Kev. The size is desirable and the added rarity of the USN version will probably jack up the price.

watchmanjimg

Not a bad price at all, but the B width is pretty narrow for today's standards. Might have been a tough fit. Here's hoping for the 10Ds, though. :D

EmergencyIan

watchmanjimg said:
Not a bad price at all, but the B width is pretty narrow for today's standards. Might have been a tough fit. Here's hoping for the 10Ds, though. :D

Did you win them?

- Ian