• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422, M-422A specifications

RCSignals

As in the other thread this came up, there are others you could do. Perhaps one of the M-422. Maybe the W&G. (with corrected sleeve length)

kastauffer

Hello everyone

I am a regular on the US Militaria Forum, but this is my first time posting here. Great forum all!

I checked the Monarch M-422 in my collection and compared it against my 422A's.

The main difference between the M-422 and the M-422A was that that the pockets on the M-422 are both the same identical width ( the M-422'a pockets are different widths - 1/2" difference ).

The fur collar is also wider. I checked my M-422A's and they were all @2.25-2.5 inches wide. The M-422 is @ 3.5" wide. I measured from where the top of the zipper meets the collar to the tip of the collar.

Kurt

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
... that's the problem, isn't it? There is so much variety between makers, that we need a Willis and Geiger AND a Monarch M-422, alongside examples of Willis and Geiger AND Monarch M-422As before thinking about any conclusions.

And Hi Kurt ... nice to have you here.

RCSignals

Yes true.

there is a lot of information floating about that gets repeated, which seems incorrect. One is that M-422s had no pencil slot. Maybe that applies to one or even two of the makers (anyone know for sure?) but Monarch m-422 seems to have had a pencil slot.
Another is that M-422as introduced the pencil slot and it was accomplished by widening a pocket, as if that applies to all M-422a's.

Seems there were only three makers of M-422s, W+G, Monarch, and I forget the other just now. Or were there more?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
Seems there were only three makers of M-422s, W+G, Monarch, and I forget the other just now. Or were there more?

Just the two mentioned ... there were three known contracts, two of which were to Willis and Geiger. Following these, the first two M-422A contracts were also to Willis and Geiger, and to Monarch.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
found it. The third company among the first to make M-422s was apparently Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co

Oh okay, that makes sense, as they had other Navy contracts both before, and after. Do you happen to have the contract number, so we can see where it fits in?

kastauffer

RCSignals said:
Is your M-422a a Gordon and Ferguson?

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I have 5 M-422A jackets from multiple makers and contracts and checked the M-422 against them all. There was some slight variance, but all were within the measurements I posted.

Thanks

Kurt

kastauffer

Here are some pics of my M-422. It is so clean, it almost looks like a repro at first glance.

post-105-1294104871.jpg

post-105-1294104968.jpg

post-105-1294104960.jpg

post-105-1294104882.jpg

post-105-1294105550.jpg

post-105-1294105418.jpg

post-105-1294105100.jpg

post-105-1294260282.jpg

post-105-1294260294.jpg

RCSignals

very nice Monarch indeed.

so your M-422a s. all had a wider left pocket than the right, or both pockets of all of them were that much wider than the M-422?

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:
found it. The third company among the first to make M-422s was apparently Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co

Oh okay, that makes sense, as they had other Navy contracts both before, and after. Do you happen to have the contract number, so we can see where it fits in?

I had a contract number but I'm going to have to find it too.

kastauffer

RCSignals said:
very nice Monarch indeed.

so your M-422a s. all had a wider left pocket than the right, or both pockets of all of them were that much wider than the M-422?

What I noticed is that on the M-422's that one pocket was always wider than the other, and it was usually @ a 1/2 inch diffference. I can go back and validate.

On my M-422, the width of the pockets is the same for both.

Kurt