• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422, M-422A specifications

RCSignals

Somewhere I read ( I think I did anyway), but now can not find again, that the M-422/M-422A was longer in the body than it's successor pattern jackets.
Is this true about the length, and if so how much longer?

TankBuster

Yes, it is true in some cases. I have a nice original M-422A that I wear occasionally. It is one of the longest jackets in the body that I have. It's definitely longer than any G-1 I've ever had. I have however had some original M-422A's that Ive tried on in the past that have not been as long in the body.

RCSignals

I've been researching more, and have come across another anomaly between M-422 and M-422a jackets.

Up until now it seems the difference between the two was the addition of a pencil slot on the left pocket for the M-422a.
This must have taken two forms, a wider pocket adding a slot, and a regular sized pocket with the type of slot we know on the current G-1. Is this correct?

So far I've only noticed M-422a jackets with the wider pocket.

Then I saw reference to an M-422 jacket with a pencil slot, and indeed the Goodwear Monarch reproduction M-422 has a regular sized pocket with a pencil slot. If no M-422 had a pencil slot, I'm sure Goodwear would not have added one.

Sorry for going on, but I'm finding this confusing. Is there a definitive answer?

I've also acquired the Book "the Pictorial History of the Flying Tigers by Larry M. Pistole"

In this book it appears many if not most of the flight jackets of USN style have the wider pocket. Could their jacket have been 'early' M-422a or were there any M-422 jackets with the wider pocket?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
I've been researching more, and have come across another anomaly between M-422 and M-422a jackets.

The differences you are noticing are between the makers, their individual patterns varied widely whilst still keeping within the specs.

With your earlier question, it's the Willis & Geiger M-422 that is known to be short in the sleeves, and long in the body .... and most M-422 are Willis & Geiger.

RCSignals

Found some more photos on the Internet.

Was the Gordon & Ferguson Co. M-422a the only one with the wider pocket?

Some photos of H&L Block and W&G M-422a's appear to not have the wider left pocket.
This makes me wonder if the AVG jackets were in fact W&G.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:

Yes ... H & L Block, and Edmund T. Church have the pencil slot under the pocket flap.

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:

Yes ... H & L Block, and Edmund T. Church have the pencil slot under the pocket flap.

That's what I noticed, but also that the pockets (M-422a) of those two manufacturers appear to be the same width.

That's where the confusion comes in, as teh Monarch M-422 also has a pencil slot with welted opening under the flap. I had previously been under the impression that no M-422 had a pencil slot, it being introduced with the M-422a.

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
RCSignals said:

The differences you are noticing are between the makers, their individual patterns varied widely whilst still keeping within the specs.

With your earlier question, it's the Willis & Geiger M-422 that is known to be short in the sleeves, and long in the body .... and most M-422 are Willis & Geiger.

I'm beginning to think the difference between an M-422 and M-422a cannot be generalised as 'the addition of a pencil slot and wider left pocket"

re-W&G

you are referring to the question related to the Pistole book?

the sleeves in the photos do not appear short to me.
The left pockets do appear wider with a vertical stitch line for the pencil slot.

Photos of W&G M-422a I found on another site did not appear to have a wider left pocket nor a vertical stitch line.

(just realised you meant my first question in the thread about jacket body length, but I'll leave the above)

Do you (or anyone) know if the W&G M-422 had a pencil slot like the Monarch M-422?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
I'm beginning to think the difference between an M-422 and M-422a cannot be generalised as 'the addition of a pencil slot and wider left pocket"

True ... it's more likely a maker choice, the early specs were not that precise. As an example, the Navy 37-J-1 specs called for two breast pockets ... most makers provided patch pockets, but at least one decided that internal pockets would be okay.

Do you (or anyone) know if the W&G M-422 had a pencil slot like the Monarch M-422?

It doesn't have a visible slot, Grant will know if there's one hiding under the pocket flap ... it's his jacket on John's CD.

RCSignals

Still no farther ahead on the M422 / M422a differences. It isn't about the pencil slot as stated the Monarch M422 has one.

Does anyone know if the Willis and Geiger and Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co. M422 also had a pencil slot?

Also on the Gordon and Ferguson M-422a.

From another post on contract numbers

GORDON & FERGUSON CO. CONTRACT NO. NXs.416-A SPECIFICATION M-422 A
GORDON & FERGUSON CO. CONTRACT NO. NXs.416 SPECIFICATION M-422 A

Yet i've now seen labels showing 'CONTRACT NO.NXs.416 ' and 'CONTRACT NO.NOs.416-A' but not the 'CONTRACT NO. NXs.416-A'

for photo see Link

product_image.php

and from this thread Link

003-2.jpg

I think the 'CONTRACT NO.NOs.416-A' is correct, not the 'CONTRACT NO. NXs.416-A' of the list.

Anyone know the difference NOs vs NXs ?

from the same list this Contract variance -NOs vs NXs - also occurred on W+G jackets

SPECIFICATION M 422A WILLIS AND GEIGER INC. CONTRACT-Nos.290A
SPECIFICATION M 422a WILLIS AND GEIGER INC. CONTRACT-N Xs-290

R7000

I think the error was mine. Sorry! The pic is obviously correct and I had a correct pic also in my files. I made a typing error.

Tom

Jaydee

Speaking from my own personal experience, The G&F M-422A is the only one I have seen with the wider pocket and stiched pencil pocket. Just what I have seen, I didn't do any research.

RCSignals

I like it because it is unique and distinct. It separates it from other manufacturers M-422/M-422a and certainly distinguishes the jacket as not being a G-1.

oose

Hi,
I prefer the larger pocket to as well as the shape of the pocket flap on the G&F M-422a.

All the best
stu

A

Anonymous

I was opting to avoid the G&F
as everybody else is offering same,