• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LVC 501s

airfrogusmc

My 55s are US made and also extremely dark. Probably the darkest of all the LVCs I have and I have a few pairs. Some of the coolest denim I have is the stuff thats on my 333s and my 209 coveralls.

Doug C

I suppose that IF LVC was using 100 year old machines, they'd probably advertise that fact.... just like JCrew has. Surely that would be a selling point for them as well. I haven't looked into japanese LVC, what retailers would we look to first for them? I assume they're even more expensive than the US made ones, right?

Doug C

airfrogusmc

Cobblers161 said:
Try this http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/c/0000000178/ Good ole Hinoya.

Pretty much the same price depending on the exchange rate. I had a pair of 47's from Japan and they looked great, a deeper indigo and beautiful fading.
Heres a pair of US made 47s. The cut of the 47s is to trim as compared to originals.
IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

stanier

Airfrog, you touch on a very good point there; how does the cut of Japanese LVC's compare with US made LVC's? I know my 44's (Japan LVC) are very high waisted, certainly compared to my US 37's though I can't compare to US made 44's.

I'm satisfied with the US made 47's I have, but I wish LVC would make a 1955 cut jean with leather patch and single sided red tab, which I believe would make them a 1951 - 1953 model? (The zip on 54's isn't my cup of tea)

Now if they made those, with meticulous attention to detail, in a US (Levis owned) facility, with US workers from US sourced "weave facsimile" denim I, for one, would pay considerably more than the current sort of prices for a pair.

In fact the same criteria applied to any vintage Levis repro (prior to 1955 (inclusive)) would be tempting my wallet on a regular basis!

Doug C

cobblers161 wrote :
Just washed some '33's after a couple of months and they're cracking jeans, I'm suprised how narrow they are, it's not a complaint I just expected a looser cut, as a result I love 'em.

Yes, that's the same experience I've had with my 1933s... I thought they'd be pretty baggy but they're alot less so than I expected. I got them in Feb '07 but were produced in '06 (F3 06). In fact I think the cut is identical to my 1937s, which were produced for Spring '07 (SE 07).

BTW, I checked out the 501/STF at Sears today and here's what I found. There were two kind, one set that were made in the dominican republic that didn't look dark enough, like not enough indigo was used, had a somewhat grey cast to 'em. Then there were the ones made in Mexico which had an almost black cast to them, didn't seem blue enough. Again both raw unwashed, kind of confusing and a crap shoot on how they'd age.

Doug C

airfrogusmc

My early 555 1933 501s are very full in both the seat and the thighs. I think that LVC from about 2002- 2006 were not paying very close attention to detail. The 20 201s from a few years back had a double needle arcuate. Not like the 555 20s 201s I have or the ones from last year which were also correct.

Paul T the Levis guru has said the ones he's seen from 08 have some of the best most arcurate denim he's seen in a while from LVC. Some of the Japanese LVC aren't perfect either which can be frustrating. I mean Levis has all the original patterns back to what 1906. They have access to the company that made the denim and raw LVC according to Paul is still being made in the US. I think he posted its somewhere in California.

airfrogusmc

stanier said:
Airfrog, you touch on a very good point there; how does the cut of Japanese LVC's compare with US made LVC's? I know my 44's (Japan LVC) are very high waisted, certainly compared to my US 37's though I can't compare to US made 44's.

I'm satisfied with the US made 47's I have, but I wish LVC would make a 1955 cut jean with leather patch and single sided red tab, which I believe would make them a 1951 - 1953 model? (The zip on 54's isn't my cup of tea)

Now if they made those, with meticulous attention to detail, in a US (Levis owned) facility, with US workers from US sourced "weave facsimile" denim I, for one, would pay considerably more than the current sort of prices for a pair.

In fact the same criteria applied to any vintage Levis repro (prior to 1955 (inclusive)) would be tempting my wallet on a regular basis!

I had a pair of 44s and they were cut very similar to my 55s.

I wish the Japanese made larger sizes :(

Doug C

Somewhere was posted a breakdown of the models released by LVC throught it's history. I think it may have been in the old forum. Does anyone know where this can be found ?

Doug C

Grant

Allen,
What's your waist size? I have a NOS pair of LVC Japan '47 501xx sz. 36 x 36 that are way too big for me. If you're interested I'll measure them.

stanier

I buy 38" waist from Japan. The only sizing issue I have, which is minor, is I would usually buy 34" leg, but from Japan, only 36" seems to be available on a 38" waist. I just put an extra turn up in!

Hi Grant, do you have access to a pair of US 47's to compare the cut with? I'd be keen to know if the Japan 47's are cut the same or maybe a touch fuller?

Cheers gents

Grant

Hi Stanier,
I don't own any of the current US LVC '47's but compared to ones from over five years ago the LVC Japan '47's are cut larger in the waist and fuller through the seat and legs. The denim is also a darker indigo and heftier in weight than the US made '47's. All in all the US made '47's have a more modern trim fit compared to the LVC Japan. I really dig them but afraid I would they would never shrink down to my waist size... major bummer.

Cobblers161

Sorry man but the Japan 47's I had were as slim as the US made, I'd been hoping for something akin to the originals but no joy. Better denim, better colour but inch for inch same shape and too slim jim.

Have a look on Hinoyas pages for the measurements, they are usually spot on.

Grant

Too bad you didn't get ahold of a pair of these! They really aren't anything like the US made ones I own (also NOS from about five years ago). Maybe if I pack on a few pounds later in life I'll get to wear them.

Maybe the current LVC Japan '47's are cut slimmer? Who knows!?!

On another note, the LVC Japan '44 501's from about six years ago are also made from that same beautiful dark heavy weight denim.

airfrogusmc

Grant said:
Hi Stanier,
I don't own any of the current US LVC '47's but compared to ones from over five years ago the LVC Japan '47's are cut larger in the waist and fuller through the seat and legs. The denim is also a darker indigo and heftier in weight than the US made '47's. All in all the US made '47's have a more modern trim fit compared to the LVC Japan. I really dig them but afraid I would they would never shrink down to my waist size... major bummer.

Grant how large do they measure? If they measure 38 they'll work.

Grant

Hi Allen,
If you normally take a 38" waist I doubt these would fit after allowing for shrinkage. Asking $200 shipped to Chicago. FYI, they're going for around $250 shipped from Japan. One of these days we have to get you in a pair of Lee Japan denim - once you experience them you'll never go back to LVC US stuff!
Here's a lousy photo taken from my camera/phone.
501xx.jpg