• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LVC 501s

Swing

Grant said:
They said it was too expensive for them to manufacture in the US anymore (i.e. they couldn't make enough of a profit).

Right, 200% profit on every pair of jeans isn't near enough. They need at least 400% to break even, the greedy SOBs. :evil:

~Swing

Grant

Allen,
I don't know when your '27's were made, I'm just telling you what the Levi's marketing manager for North America told me. If you dispute what he told me feel free to give Lynn a call and let her know.

Swing,
Couldn't agree more! Levi's, like most large corporations, has always been interested in profit margins over all else.

Doug C

well old looms or new, what matters really is that the denim comes out the same as in the old days, I assume they have an identicle shuttle pattern or whatever majic it is that produced the early denim weave. The modern 501s Denim (not LVC) is certainly not made out of the same stuff, right?

Doug C

airfrogusmc

Grant said:
Allen,
I don't know when your '27's were made, I'm just telling you what the Levi's marketing manager for North America told me. If you dispute what he told me feel free to give Lynn a call and let her know.

Swing,
Couldn't agree more! Levi's, like most large corporations, has always been interested in profit margins over all else.

I was under the impression that these were the last of the US made LVCs the current raw LVCs that have the Made In USA tags and those that are from the current fall/winter 08 line.

I agree about the prices also. But all repro selvage jeans are pricey.

Doug you are right. Selvage is much nicer denim than regular Levs denim.

Swing

airfrogusmc said:
I agree about the prices also. But all repro selvage jeans are pricey.

And it's simply one of those cases of "they charge a lot, because they can". I don't care how nice the denim is, type of loom it was made one, or in what country the jeans were assembeled in, there's never more than $30 of materials and labor in a pair of jeans. Modern Levis are usually on sale for $30 at JC Pennys, meaning Levis probably produced them for $5. Probably costs them $15 to make a pair of the Vintage 501s. :evil:

~Swing

Doug C

There's probably a thorough thread somewhere, someplace that outlines the differences between the early "XX" denim and the modern "XX" denim and LVC's "XX"... if anyone knows, please point me to it, I'd like to understand it better. Surely there is something different than just a selvaged edge - besides the cut and small details, but if that was the case could they both be considered true "XX" denim?

Doug C

airfrogusmc

In 1927 the first 10 oz red selvage denim is produced by cone mills and are woven on 29" wide looms.

In 1983 Cone Mills went to 60 inch wide looms.

Doug C

Airfrog, wonderfull info, thanks a ton for the link! So, I can assume that the '27s that I'll be getting will have a lightweight feel like my '33s?

happy hoolagan: That limited run thing is news to me, I thought I'd heard that all modern 501s were being produces in mexico now.. so if that's not the case, I may try to locate a pair of these too. Any button numbers to look out for?

Doug C

Happy Hooligan

Doug C said:
Airfrog, wonderfull info, thanks a ton for the link! So, I can assume that the '27s that I'll be getting will have a lightweight feel like my '33s?

happy hoolagan: That limited run thing is news to me, I thought I'd heard that all modern 501s were being produces in mexico now.. so if that's not the case, I may try to locate a pair of these too. Any button numbers to look out for?

Doug C

Doug, I thought the same thing until last year when I found a small store that carried US made 501. The owner said they still make small (tiny) batches in the SF factory. I checked the jeans and sure enough they were us made. I am more into the LVC so I didn't pick up any pairs but if they're totally shutting down I might pickup some pairs... I never checked the button numbers or don't remember if I did.

Doug C

ok, it was kind of strange for me when I first got my '33 because my idea of vintage jeans were of a very thick denim for some reason, then once I became educated a little bit it made more since. The '33 are so comfortable it's not even funny, so I look forward to the '27s big time, now.

Doug C

airfrogusmc

Doug C said:
ok, it was kind of strange for me when I first got my '33 because my idea of vintage jeans were of a very thick denim for some reason, then once I became educated a little bit it made more since. The '33 are so comfortable it's not even funny, so I look forward to the '27s big time, now.

Doug C

Doug did you order a pair from Dejan? He told me that the S/S he will have the 27s without the T. But I doubt those will be US made. I'm wear'n my 27 right now. They are sweet.

Swing

I've got my '37s on today after wearing my '44s for a month. Man, what a difference in fit. The '37s feel huge in the thigh and leg compared to the '44s, while the '44s are bigger at the waist. I knew all this from the get go, but after spending a month in each pair, the differences become really dramatic.

At first I thought they were the exact same denim, but now the '37s feel lighter in weight, and the '44s certainly feel stiffer. Not that either pair is really wearing much (since I basically only wear them back and forth to work, and maybe out in the evening once a week) but the '37s are wrinkeling and wearing at the finish easier than the '44s.

~Swing

Doug C

Doug did you order a pair from Dejan? He told me that the S/S he will have the 27s without the T. But I doubt those will be US made. I'm wear'n my 27 right now. They are sweet.

No, I am between jobs right now and broker than @#&% :oops: . But, I've already decided that the '27s will be my next pair..hopefully the US ones will still be available. I'm kicking around the idea of getting them closer to my actual waste size this time, yet very long... because I'm starting to believe that the waste always stretches back to what it started at or pretty close. I have a 34-35" waste so I may get these in a 36 this time instead of the usual 38 that I've been buying.

Swing, have both of those been washed?

Doug C

Doug C

Hey here's something that I've been considering for a while - regarding the wash/soak... has anyone thought of adding "sizeing" (bottled, pourable starch) to the wash, then hanging the jeans to dry as usual? Seems to me that it would add back some of the "rigid-ness" like when new and possibly help to form the whiskers, creases as they continue to be worn. Perhaps just spraying them down with a can of heavy startch while still wet (but don't iron them) would do the same thing? What do ya'll think, is that just a crazy hair-brained idea or maybe something worth looking into? They do sell bottled sizeing, don't they?

Doug C

Swing

Doug C said:
Swing, have both of those been washed?

Nope. I want them to stay as dark as possible, as long as possible. And I bought them to fit, so I want the waist to be good and stretched before it gets soaked and shrinks.

~Swing

Happy Hooligan

Doug C said:
Hey here's something that I've been considering for a while - regarding the wash/soak... has anyone thought of adding "sizeing" (bottled, pourable starch) to the wash, then hanging the jeans to dry as usual? Seems to me that it would add back some of the "rigid-ness" like when new and possibly help to form the whiskers, creases as they continue to be worn. Perhaps just spraying them down with a can of heavy startch while still wet (but don't iron them) would do the same thing? What do ya'll think, is that just a crazy hair-brained idea or maybe something worth looking into? They do sell bottled sizeing, don't they?

Doug C

I spray mine 55's and 37's about once every 4 months or when they feel too soft.... I've had them almost a year now and had 2 soaks...