• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LVC 501s

Grant

Paul reported on Superfuture that the new LVC line is being produced by an LA garment maker called Caitac. I'm not sure what the new line will consist of.

airfrogusmc

Swing said:
airfrogusmc said:
I just picked up a pair of 27 501s from Dejan (cultizm) this falls line and they were US made. I think those could be the last of the US made LVCs though unless someone has heard different.

I like how the stitching stands out on the 1927s. I figure the suspender buttons will get in the way though, so I plan on avoiding the pre-37 models.

~Swing

Swing,
I've never had a problem with the suspender buttons in fact I kinda prefer them (personal preference). I sometimes wear suspenders. But I do love my 55s...

Swing

airfrogusmc said:
Swing said:
airfrogusmc said:
I just picked up a pair of 27 501s from Dejan (cultizm) this falls line and they were US made. I think those could be the last of the US made LVCs though unless someone has heard different.

I like how the stitching stands out on the 1927s. I figure the suspender buttons will get in the way though, so I plan on avoiding the pre-37 models.

~Swing

Swing,
I've never had a problem with the suspender buttons in fact I kinda prefer them (personal preference). I sometimes wear suspenders. But I do love my 55s...

I never wear suspenders, but I always have a belt on, cranked as tight as it will go. I figure the belt and the buttons won't get along too comfortably.

~Swing

Grant

If you want to wear a belt the suspender buttons definitely get in the way. I bought my '33 501's with a slightly smaller waist size than I'd normally buy so i don't have to worry about a belt. If they're a little loose i just cinch em up a bit.

airfrogusmc

Grant said:
If you want to wear a belt the suspender buttons definitely get in the way. I bought my '33 501's with a slightly smaller waist size than I'd normally buy so i don't have to worry about a belt. If they're a little loose i just cinch em up a bit.

Yeah Grant thats what I usually do with mine to. Hey Grant did you happen to see the 1911 333s I picked up a while back?

Grant

Hey Allen,
No, I didn't. Sorry for my ignorance, but what are 333's?
With what's going on with the economy LVC should re-issue their 1929 cinch back jeans.
That way we can all look cool standing in the bread lines.

airfrogusmc

Grant, I saw some photos of an original pair. THe are very rare. Some guy in Japan bought the originals maybe from Levis :? Any way they were a very cheap alternative to the 501s and 201s. Heres some photos of the ones I bought.
IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Dejan could only get these pre aged :( but still some of my favorite. They're selvage but no line just white and sewn like they're not. This is the way the originals that I saw photos of were to.

Doug C

Wow, I love the 1927s, I'll definately put them on my list as my next pair. They look about in line with my 1937s from last year as far as basic cut, less width to the legs than my 201s but not at all slim. Airfrog what's the t-shirt like? Any pics of both to share, cultizm's pics can be somewhat hard to read.

Doug C

Doug C

Oh hey airfrogusmc, can you enlighten us (maybe just me :oops: ) on what the grand prize label is all about?
the 1927 replica comes with Grand Prize label, which is attached to the
back waistband and can be ripped off by the wearer.

Can we assume you won't be ripping it off?

Doug C

Willy McCoy

A Grand Prize lable means that the item was deemed the highest grade or value by a state fair. Folksy moniker that the average Joe can relate to.

airfrogusmc

Doug C said:
Wow, I love the 1927s, I'll definately put them on my list as my next pair. They look about in line with my 1937s from last year as far as basic cut, less width to the legs than my 201s but not at all slim. Airfrog what's the t-shirt like? Any pics of both to share, cultizm's pics can be somewhat hard to read.

Doug C

Doug the tag is a cardboard tag and I took it off. The t is nice. Size is really hard for me to tell because these are still raw and baggy. But I would say they are in line with my 555 1933s which were fuller than a pair I had from a few years back. I think they're going to wind up fuller than my 20s 201s. Don't know though because they're gonna shrink.

Doug C

aww ok, thanks for the info guys. Those back pockets on the '27s are very distinctive, I love 'em. The price is quite alot more than the other LVCs I've gotten from cultizm, I wonder if they'd go cheaper without the package deal, not sure I need or care for the shirt at this point. I mean if it's a $50 T, I could pass on it.

Doug C

Grant

Had the opportunity to meet Lynn Downey, historian for the Levi's archives. She was in NYC for a vintage clothing show and opening of a new Levi's line. She brought along some really cool examples of early Levi's including the earliest pair of 501's (1879) they have in their collection, 501's from the 20's and 30's and 50's. It was fun to geek out and talk denim with someone who has pretty much seen and knows everything when it comes to Levi's.

BTW, as of next year there will be no LVC made in the US as of next year. Right now the only LVC that's still being made here are the '47 501's, but come next year it'll all be made in Europe. What a bummer!

Doug C

Wow, I would have loved to see and study those vintage Levis samples and geek out on it too. Must have been very cool.

So, I have a question about the jeans that have been produced for the LVC line here in the states up to and including now, has that demin always been produced here with vintage machines? Perhaps the denim has been imported over to us? I was under the assumption that all of the old shuttle looms that produce the great selvage denims were in Japan.. what's the scoop on that?

Doug C

Grant

Hi Doug,
Most of denim that LVC uses comes from Cone Mills in South Carolina. I doubt that Cone uses the original machines that were used years ago.

It was cool to compare a pair of original '55 501's with the LVC Japan '55 501's I was wearing. The denim and overall cut were identical to the originals.

Doug C

So (and please forgive my ignorance) Cone Mills is producing the selvage denim via newish machines, whats the difference in this and the old machines. The older looms were superior in some way?

Doug C

airfrogusmc

Grant the 27s I just bought are made in USA.

I know a guy that has an original pair or 55s and I echo what Grant has said about LVC 55s cut. His pair are dead stock dry original 1955s and he also has a pair of LVC 55s US raw same size and they could have come off the same line. His original 55s had the off center back belt loop and that was the only difference.

Paul T said that he thinks the off center belt loop was a quirk from one particular factory because he's seen them center on 1955 originals to.

airfrogusmc

Doug C said:
So (and please forgive my ignorance) Cone Mills is producing the selvage denim via newish machines, whats the difference in this and the old machines. The older looms were superior in some way?

Doug C

Older looms were narrower than the later ones. I think I read Cone Mills still had old looms. I mean why would they have new ones made for such a small specialized market?

Grant

Allen,
Your '27's must have been made a while ago because according to the Levi's folks I spoke with, the only LVC currently being made in the US are the '47 501's. They said it was too expensive for them to manufacture in the US anymore (i.e. they couldn't make enough of a profit).

As for which looms Cone Mills is using, I'll drop them an email and ask. They have an office here in NYC. Why would Cone Mills use old antique looms? Probably for the same reason Levi's stopped making them in the US...

airfrogusmc

Heres the leg tag from 27s. I would guess they were made a few months back but they are from the current autumn/winter 08 collection.

IMG_7036.jpg

I doubt the are using antique looms but I don't think its out of the question they could be using the narrow looms they were using in the 70s and very early 80s.