• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LVC 501s

airfrogusmc

Doug C said:
airfrog: GREAT JEANS, the 1915s! thanks for the detailed pics, especially the different buckle which I like alot better than some that LVC have used (cough..1920 201's..cough). Will you be snipping the little cross piece off and making two "prongs" out of it like it would have originally been? Also, I have to wonder - do you think those prongs would have originally been made of copper?

Doug C

Levis was that close to getting it right but the problem is under the material the bar that should be a solid piece is split in the middle so when you clip it there are now two separate pieces :x so I've already replaced it with a turn of the 20th century original. The denim on these 1915s is just OUTSTANDING. Some of the best I've seen LVC use. Cone did a great job on these.

I've read some very good things about Levis vintage shirts. I have not seen one in person so I don't know what the fabric is like.

Cobblers161

Grant said:
They're the '42 Lee's. If you really want to see the best of the dark side check out the Real McCoy's Lee's.

Hey Grant,

Is the fit of the '42 Lee's similar to the LVC 33's or '55's. I've had a look at some measurements but can't quite nail the cut.

Cheers!

Grant

The Edwin '42 Lee's fit trimmer in the seat than both '33 or 55 501's. They're all cut loose in the leg with little taper and have a healthy rise. The weight of the denim on the '42 Lee's and '55 501's is heavier than on the '33's but the '33's have been wearing quite well. For reference here are the tagged sizes of all three that I own:

2004 Edwin '42 Lee 33x33 (fit more like a 34x36 after two washings)
2002 LVC '33 501xx 34x36 (fit like a 34x33 after four washings)
1999 LVC '55 501xx 36x36 (fit more like a 35x33 after five washings)

Here's a recent photo of the '33 501's:
33s501.jpg

Cobblers161

Cheers Grant, those 33's are looking heathy. I've a pair on the go at present, on the second soak just now, and have found them to show wear far easier than my 55's, not only that but they feel better too. Without a doubt my fave LVC pattern and the best quality denim , though I've yet to go down airfrogs route with the 27's and 1915's which look stunning.

Soon as the Yen takes a dip in favour of the good old British pound I'll grab a pair of the Lee's.

airfrogusmc

Cobblers161 said:
Cheers Grant, those 33's are looking heathy. I've a pair on the go at present, on the second soak just now, and have found them to show wear far easier than my 55's, not only that but they feel better too. Without a doubt my fave LVC pattern and the best quality denim , though I've yet to go down airfrogs route with the 27's and 1915's which look stunning.

Soon as the Yen takes a dip in favour of the good old British pound I'll grab a pair of the Lee's.

The 1915s are MUCH nicer both in denim (maybe some of the best I've seen on LVCs) and accuracy. The 27s should have a double row on the top of the back pokcets and the pocket shape is to rectangular.

I really like my 33s to.

Cobblers161

To be honest I was hooked on the 'pretend' '37 201's till you guys pointed me in the direction of the 33's. I've never looked back, I love 'em. So cheers and thanks!

I have to admit to liking the 1917's a lot, especially due to the Cone Mills collab but the front rise looks pretty big. On that front I can handle the 33's but any taller and it's too much. For now anyway. ;)

airfrogusmc

Cobblers161 said:
To be honest I was hooked on the 'pretend' '37 201's till you guys pointed me in the direction of the 33's. I've never looked back, I love 'em. So cheers and thanks!

I have to admit to liking the 1917's a lot, especially due to the Cone Mills collab but the front rise looks pretty big. On that front I can handle the 33's but any taller and it's too much. For now anyway. ;)

Its the 1915s that are the cone callab. They fit very similar to my 33s anyway my 555 1933s. My 1915s are not as full as my 1917s.

Cobblers161

I'm looking at taking the plunge on a pair of 1915's from Cultizm. Is that where yours came from Airfrog?

The sizing is over, by 2" so a 34" is actually a 36" raw. Any ideas if they stretch back out again after soaking/washing? I need to end up with a 33" to 34" waist so I'm not sure whether to take the 34"s or the 32"s, any help greatly appreciated.

I somehow imagine that you aren't at the washing stage yet tho. :D

Grant

For all you denim freaks out there, check out the October issue of Free and Easy. Tons of great photos of vintage denim, along with photos of collectors sporting their best (see if anyone can spot one of our forum members).

free.jpg

Grant

LOL, yeah, when I was into the Woodstock look.

Let me know if you want me to pick you up a copy.

Happy Hooligan said:
I can never find it locally...

that isn't you on the cover is it?

Grant

Not sure he does any more.
A lot of the serious collector have gone AWOL from this forum.

deeb7 said:
Grant said:
(see if anyone can spot one of our forum members).

Does the member still visit here, Grant? He hasn't posted in many months.

airfrogusmc

Cobblers161 said:
I'm looking at taking the plunge on a pair of 1915's from Cultizm. Is that where yours came from Airfrog?

The sizing is over, by 2" so a 34" is actually a 36" raw. Any ideas if they stretch back out again after soaking/washing? I need to end up with a 33" to 34" waist so I'm not sure whether to take the 34"s or the 32"s, any help greatly appreciated.

Yeah I got mine from from Dejan. Mine are still RAW so I have no idea how much they come back. They are a bit trimmer than the 1917s.

Tokyo Jones

Cobblers161 said:

Cobblers, I recently bought a pair of '44s from Cultzim in 38, though I wear a 36. I've soaked the jeans twice but they're still notably big. Even though Levi's says to buy 1 size up for our sizes, I think for those of us who plan on washing as little as possible, it might be better to buy actual size.

When I buy my next pair, it'll definitely be in 36".

Cultizm has fantastic service, btw. Will definitely buy from them again in the future.

Tokyo Jones

Swing

Tokyo Jones said:
Cobblers161 said:

Cobblers, I recently bought a pair of '44s from Cultzim in 38, though I wear a 36. I've soaked the jeans twice but they're still notably big. Even though Levi's says to buy 1 size up for our sizes, I think for those of us who plan on washing as little as possible, it might be better to buy actual size.

When I buy my next pair, it'll definitely be in 36".

Cultizm has fantastic service, btw. Will definitely buy from them again in the future.

Tokyo Jones

Each LVC 501 is different, and the best thing to do it get an actual waist measurement before buying.

The '44s are my slim fit jeans. I'm in between a 38 and 40, and bought the 44s in a size 38. Suprising the difference in cut between LVC's '44 501, and Sugar Canes' 1947 (both in size 38). The Canes are a LOT wider every where except the waist.

~Swing

Swing

Tokyo Jones said:
I've soaked the jeans twice but they're still notably big.

Turn inside out, wash on the hot setting, then dry all the way on the your dryer's hottest setting. That will get max shrinkage.

After seeing how much jeans change after getting some proper shrinkage, I wouldn't wear them raw. Buy them to shrink to fit, get close to max shrinkage and leg twist right off the bat with a hot wash, then wear the heck outta the jeans.

~Swing