• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Luftwaffe Aces website

Bluebottle

Found this site while doing some research on a Short Stirling crew member

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/index.html

Going through the directory of pilots there are plenty of photos showing their flight gear, not all of it German...

bacsila.jpg

greiner2.jpg

mullers2.jpg

glunz2.jpg

batz2.jpg

schafer.jpg
vivroux.jpg

havocpaul

They are the 'whites of the eyes' insignia worn by Sturmgruppe pilots flying FW-190's against USAAF bombers, they were meant to get as close as possible to the bomber and if necessary ram it! Their aircraft had extra armour-plating around the cockpit but it was still verging on suicide. The insignia speaks for itself...get so close you see the whites of their eyes. It was painted on to their leather jackets. Great pics, thanks for the link.

rich

havocpaul said:
They are the 'whites of the eyes' insignia worn by Sturmgruppe pilots flying FW-190's against USAAF bombers, they were meant to get as close as possible to the bomber and if necessary ram it! Their aircraft had extra armour-plating around the cockpit but it was still verging on suicide. The insignia speaks for itself...get so close you see the whites of their eyes. It was painted on to their leather jackets. Great pics, thanks for the link.

Havocpaul, that's great info, thanks very much.

A

Anonymous

mullers2.jpg

I've never seen this photo that I remember- looks like he's cut the epaulets of the A-2 to put on his shoulder boards dealies.

John Lever

Hi Ingo, it's made by Lemercier, a French outfitter I am told to the military, but not sure.
I don't know enough about these to say if it's accurate or not, but thought you be the one to ask.