• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like Diamond Dave is Closing up the Jacket Business

mulceber

Ugh, I’m sorry to see this has turned ugly, and even more sorry to hear your closing up shop, Dave. I remember perusing your site and thinking that you had a great selection of hides on offer, and some contracts we don’t see widely available. I hope you land on your feet and get a job that allows you to pursue your passion.

MikeyB-17

It’s a shame when a jacket manufacturer has to shut up shop, as when any business can’t make a go of it any more. And a manufacturer who turned out many jackets that his customers were more than pleased with. I hope Dave goes back to the caps too, and wish him all the best whatever he does.

ausreenactor

Ken made a post. He doesn't need to get publicly flogged for it. A multitude of factors such pricing and value could have been factors in Dave's election to cease the jackets. By Dave's own admission 'follow on orders' (repeat customers) just did not happen. If these variables could have been shaped then the situation may be different for Dave's jackets down the line.

Assumption is the guys behind Bill Kelso and J.A. Dubow would be more scathing with the situation...

colekwok

So many 'interesting' comments since I last posted......

The thing is sustainability of a one man operation. Goodwear is the exception when people can wait up to two years for their orders. Delivery time is one important factor when people are buying. It is extremely difficult when you are the only one doing all the logistics and machining on top of dealing with the custom orderings.

I wasn’t aware of Diamond Dave jackets until now. If I had known earlier I could have gotten a contact specific jacket for about the same price as my SMW, I would have done so. I like my SMW A-2 and all, but it’s a generic jacket. It’s just so difficult to get an A-2 in a big man size. That’s why I purchased a five star. Shawn made me a jacket that fits like a glove. I’m so impressed with it I’ve put my SMW jacket up for sale. I don’t feel the need for another jacket unless I could get a contact specific one in my size. After being turned down by Platon, BK, GW, BR et al, I gave up.

B-Man2

I wasn’t aware of Diamond Dave jackets until now. If I had known earlier I could have gotten a contact specific jacket for about the same price as my SMW, I would have done so. I like my SMW A-2 and all, but it’s a generic jacket. It’s just so difficult to get an A-2 in a big man size. That’s why I purchased a five star. Shawn made me a jacket that fits like a glove. I’m so impressed with it I’ve put my SMW jacket up for sale. I don’t feel the need for another jacket unless I could get a contact specific one in my size. After being turned down by Platon, BK, GW, BR et al, I gave up.
Size 54.... That’s the biggest A2 jacket I’ve ever heard about. It’s a ground breaker in the A2 world ;) You HAVE got to show us some fit pictures please. ( You must have played for the Dolphins if you’re that size:))

Size 54.... That’s the biggest A2 jacket I’ve ever heard about. It’s a ground breaker in the A2 world ;) You HAVE got to show us some fit pictures please. ( You must have played for the Dolphins if you’re that size:))
Haha I WISH I played professional football. Original wartime jackets went up that big. I saw an Aero on eBay a few years back that measured to 52. My problem is how wide my shoulders are. I have to have a size or two up otherwise I can’t put my arms down like the kid in the Christmas story movie

I will post fit pics when I get my jacket back from the tailor. I’m having a 5th AF shoulder patch added. Should have it back next Friday.