• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like Diamond Dave is Closing up the Jacket Business

Bombing IP

Just saw a message on Facebook that DD is closing up shop as far as jackets go. Sad to hear it having bought one back in 2015. Workmanship was first rate.

"Well, looks like we may have come to the end of my jacket business. It's been, something..."

"Diamond Clothing Co: Thanks everyone. It’s been a tough year with the loss of my Mom and my biz just dwindling. I’m guessing younger people aren’t taking up the hobby anymore. None of my usual buyers are around anymore, and follow on orders just aren’t happening. Oh well, I was no John Chapman anyway, as was made abundantly clear to me by my naysayers. I feel certain they will have a field day with this announcement."

In reply to you Dave I for one see you as a very brave entrepreneur making superior products on par with GW and the like .Naysayers usually never make mistakes or for that fact ever do anything or make anything to be judged you know the type . I think you decision to fold up shop is very sad and is in no way a reflection of you the man or of your skills as a craftsman.Your love for the jacket and the market and your resistance to offering less than your best does not put food on the table .So we understand you decision is based on simple economics I wish you all the best for the future .

sincerely Jeff

Bombing IP

Point well made B IP. However, whether being pushed into it or not, I believe there is a slip in the acceptable standards.

The materials some of the low end guys use are sub standard in the repro industry. Counterfeit Chinese Zips with nylon tapes, acrylic knits, and common sheepskin that is only "Capeskin" by a technicality, is not everything and a bag of chips to some. Then for some it is good enough which ties back into changing standards.

DD was in no way on the same level as these makers. Totally different jackets on a completely different level.

That not my point look at the members here lately buying Five Star jackets and showing them and are very happy with them ,it's like the old days even our members in Germany are happy with the products they receive .The issue here is near enough is good enough and the price allows me to have a few jackets and I will not lose to much in the process when I move it on . The necessities and must have of the niche intelligentia do not account for solid sales success unless you are branded by the same intelligentsia as the product to have thus ensuring solid sales eg GW ELC but are they the best ? .

Jeff

Saint-ex

Then if you are Diamond Dave visiting the forum the buzz is about A-2 Five Star this Five Star that and a bag of chips ,and there is nothing you can do about it to compete .
And on the other hand, when you're a potential customer, and you're not build like a 20-year-old American from the 40s, you look at the sites of these high-end manufacturers, we read that the sizes do not exceed not 48, that the length is not changeable, that the sleeves are narrow ...
I had not sent an email to Dave, but Platon told me after a month that he would not make a major change, Aero Leather has never responded.
After reading this forum and we see that the deadlines are in months, see in years ...
So we look for and find a reactive Pakistani who makes jackets for and delivers them in less than a week and we think we have nothing to lose.

Bombing IP

I used to make patches leather layer type ,scouring reference material finding the correct materials .Then honing my skill perfecting the look buying of machines .Then offering up the patches for sale I had one thing in common with originals the price had to be the same as a pack of cigarettes just like in WWII . To be honest I would make more money working in Home Depot moving around and opening up boxes .

Jeff

Bombing IP

And on the other hand, when you're a potential customer, and you're not build like a 20-year-old American from the 40s, you look at the sites of these high-end manufacturers, we read that the sizes do not exceed not 48, that the length is not changeable, that the sleeves are narrow ...
I had not sent an email to Dave, but Platon told me after a month that he would not make a major change, Aero Leather has never responded.
After reading this forum and we see that the deadlines are in months, see in years ...
So we look for and find a reactive Pakistani who makes jackets for and delivers them in less than a week and we think we have nothing to lose.

I said this before this whole A-2 Types Jacket thing is just F@CKING crazy from start to finish .

Jeff

DiamondDave

And yet I offer a pattern sized from 34-54 and nobody even responded to it. See I think information doesn’t always filter as it should because of someone hijacking threads and or just being shitty to be shitty.

DD

B-Man2

Interesting thread , definitely some spot on comments. As said before, it’s always a little sad and humbling to see one of your own ( Dave is one of us) go through the process of starting up a business, going through a period of development, achieve a level of success and then slowly descend to the point where it is no longer financially feasible to continue that endeavor. DD jackets were a tier one company IMHO. If they weren’t JC and GW would never have permitted his and his companies name to be associated with them. I’ve owned them and still have one of his “Combat Clones” . It’s a quality jacket no doubt about it. If Dave has any left over A2’s in his stock room we would all be wise to snap any up that might be available. With regard to this A2 thing being just Fu... king crazy .. yeh probably a little... but then again ... what’s that make us?? ..... Kings of the Crazy House??”;)

A2 B3au

I’m not sure Dave’s issue is anything other than the perception that embedded that the jackets were somehow at least second fiddle products to a Goodwear, and a bit of a compromise. Then there was Pilot’s tape patching incident. Then the L-2a 3 inches in length incident wasn’t handled well. These things
I’m not sure Dave’s issue is anything other than the perception that embedded that the jackets were somehow at least second fiddle products to a Goodwear, and a bit of a compromise. Then there was Pilot’s tape patching incident. Then the L-2a 3 inches in length incident wasn’t handled well. These things add up.

I bought a crusher off Dave some years ago and it was top notch. I wish him well for the future, and maybe criticism of a makers product should be more measured and complaints not aired so much in public. I don’t know, the balance is somehow difficult to strike.

I know where we’ve got to is I wouldn’t have bought a jacket. Just speaking honestly and it’s a sad day when a business fails.
I’d be inclined to think the same but this cracker speaks for itself
0CA9C1CC-DB2B-47D3-A568-57DE252B10A8.png
C56D018D-AEB3-4746-8534-F0930F03AEC2.png

I bought a crusher off Dave some years ago and it was top notch. I wish him well for the future, and maybe criticism of a makers product should be more measured and complaints not aired so much in public. I don’t know, the balance is somehow difficult to strike.

I know where we’ve got to is I wouldn’t have bought a jacket. Just speaking honestly and it’s a sad day when a business fails.

foster

I'm sorry to hear this news, especially learning of it the same day as we lose another B-17.
I have bought several Diamond A-2's over the last 4 years and I have been pleased with all of them. I've bought from nearly all of the A-2 jacket makers with the exception of the newer companies established since 2017, and the Japanese ones that make sizes too small for my frame.

I bought from Aero (2007, 2012, 2013 or 2014), Eastman (2012, 2013, 2014), Good Wear (2013, 2014, 2015, 2019), Kelso (2014), and Diamond (2014, 2017, 2018). Having owned about 20 different A-2 replicas over a dozen years, I still have all of my Diamonds. For me, the DD A-2 was the best value balancing quality and delivery timeframe for the money, but naturally I do recognize that it was a clear benefit being a resident of the USA with reasonable postage (and no customs and duties fees to factor in as with Aero, Eastman, or Kelso). I do not recall any of these taking longer than a month from time of order until the delivery. Diamond had become the first recommendation within my local group of WWII aviation enthusiasts who would set up displays, etc.

I've had no concerns with these DD jackets, but I understand my expectations are not the same as many within the community of A-2 enthusiasts. I believe it is possible to have a replica A-2 made too perfectly to look like a vintage one, and I think that a few minor (non-structural) nuances add character that the originals also share. I have a DD Poughkeepsie with a pigment finish that is probably the closest to original A-2 hides and finish, though it has less character and 'hide appeal' compared to the fancy Italian HH and flawless stitching of my DD DuBow 27798. I have a seal over russet hand-tinted Acme (Aero) from DD that looks better the more I wear it, but due to the patches I just don't wear it that often in public. I don't really know of others outside of GW and DD who have offered A-2's from hand-tinted hides, but maybe I have not been following the newest trends from the other jacket makers.

I do have to agree that the A-2 market is a bit saturated, and has been for a few years (at least). Prices across the board have increased since I started following them in 2007, but I know I have seen several of the makers periodically offer items on sale (I got two of my DD jackets during some of his advertized promotions). I don't 'need' another A-2 right now, but if there is a shop-closing-sale, I would certainly be interested in one last purchase if I could swing it. I know I was regretting not buying another Crusher cap from Dave before he ceased production of those!

Dave - thanks for all of the A-2's you have made which I presently own. I have enjoyed your work and I plan to enjoy these products of yours for decades to come, after which time my sons will inherit them. I just have to be sure to maintain my current weight and chest size!

Ken at Aero Leather

I’m not sure Dave’s issue is anything other than the perception that embedded that the jackets were somehow at least second fiddle products to a Goodwear, and a bit of a compromise. Then there was Pilot’s tape patching incident. Then the L-2a 3 inches in length incident wasn’t handled well. These things add up.

I bought a crusher off Dave some years ago and it was top notch
. I wish him well for the future, and maybe criticism of a makers product should be more measured and complaints not aired so much in public. I don’t know, the balance is somehow difficult to strike.

Not wishing to kick a man when he's down but he let's be honest, he was well short of being a top level jacket maker..............Of Course I couldn't make a Crusher Cap, in fact his jackets were almost certainly better than my caps would have been.............at least I knew it

DiamondDave

Not wishing to kick a man when he's down but he let's be honest, he was well short of being a top level jacket maker..............Of Course I couldn't make a Crusher Cap, in fact his jackets were almost certainly better than my caps would have been.............at least I knew it

And yet kick him you will. You sir are no gentleman. Scoundrel being more apt.

DD

Officer Dibley

Disappointing Ken. Your piles playing up today ? Not like you at all. If you have nothing nice to say .......

gav

Just adding my voice to the chorus here.

Sad news indeed. I always wanted one of Dave’s Buco repros and came close to buying on a few occasions but never seemed to manage the final push. Too late now I guess.
Good luck in all you do for the future Dave.

Oh yeah, and ken, that’s a pretty pathetic move.