• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just won my first A-2 off the bay!

alfanator

Looks like the cuffs and waist knits were replaced, but the rest seem ok. Appreciate any insight or comments.

Hope it fits :cool:

Item number: 170568231136
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9nacGiU%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

DSC08923.JPG

DSC08925.JPG

DSC08936.JPG

DSC08937.JPG

Roughwear

Congratulations on buying your first original A2. My first A2 was also from the 27753 contract. I think this was a large contract awarded to Cable Raincoat as you see quite a few of these jackets coming up for sale. The horse hide tends to be thick and apart from the replaced knits yours is in good wearable condition. Are you planning on replacing the knits with the correct weave?

dujardin

first one, what a great moment....
good catch.
enjoy her

just my opinion, replace what is needed, she will look better and you will enjoy her more and more

take care to the virus :lol: :lol: :lol:

marcel

Peter Graham

Great jacket at a great price. My first original A-2 was a 27753 and as Andrew says, the horsehide is quite thick and wears well. Get those knits replaced and you will have a beautiful jacket. Be careful with that Conmar. The green vertigras causes weakening of the zipper tape and a replacement Conmar will not be cheap.

bazelot

I threw in a bid at the last minute. So you were the one that beat me...... It looks like a great wearer, you got a good deal on that one.

alfanator

Jacket is here and it is just as described and what i was looking for. Wearable original WW2 A2 that has nice honest patina and no funk smells. Fits like a suit jacket which is more snug than i prefer for a casual jacket but i could get used to it. Rubbed some Lexol on it and it soaked it right up. Will post some pics when i have better light.

Needs new cuffs and waistband. Would these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-A-2-jacket-cuff ... 27b6e7163e

Peter Graham

Those would be fine but don't forget that you need a waistband too. Finding a waistband of exactly the same colour would be very difficult. Your best bet would be to send the jacket off and have the whole thing done professionally.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
What Peter said, or at least buy the cuffs, and waistband together ... and it's a matter of taste, but to me the eBay cuffs look a little too dark.

Andrew

"nariakiito". He's the Dude who last year was buying up every smaller original he could lay his hands on. This year he's been offloading.

Silver Surfer

nice one, and at a killer price [i gave it some thought myself, for a wearer]. aero does a real good job on knits replacement. if you chose to buy a set of knits to have installed by your tailor [be sure he-she has done this before], both eastmans new knits are aok, as are rmnz. nariakis knits are from us country store, which is a chinese operation, and they are kinda crappy. with a nice jac like that, its worth the exta coin to have the knits done with quality goods, by a quality tailor. the end price is still less then a repro. imho

alfanator

I will look into sending it over to Aero for a install, but they are an ocean away. Any good suppliers in the US? I am also in Seattle, which is where GW is but it does not seem that John does cuff/waist replacements. Seems like i got this jacket for a good price (noob luck) :), what do they normally go for?

Stony

I saw this jacket in the flesh today and the leather is really nice. Even with the "cough" knits on it, Alfred got a good deal on it.

CBI

I undertand that Flight Suits/US Authentic does a good job at jacket refurbishing here in the US HOWEVER, buy the knits from somewhere else. I wonder if John at Goodwear would sell you some of his. Once those are in hand, try FS/USA................

TankBuster

Andrew said:
"nariakiito". He's the Dude who last year was buying up every smaller original he could lay his hands on. This year he's been offloading.

It's funny really. I can't remember how many times I've seen this over the years. A guy gets in the hobby and makes a big splash by buying everything under the sun, then a year or two later, sells everything for 75% of what they bought it for. There was another couple of guys within the last couple of years that did the same thing with original painted and patched jackets. You couldn't beat thier bid on anything for at least a year and then all of the sudden everything was for sale, and they were gone :lol: .

Stony

It's funny really. I can't remember how many times I've seen this over the years. A guy gets in the hobby and makes a big splash by buying everything under the sun, then a year or two later, sells everything for 75% of what they bought it for. There was another couple of guys within the last couple of years that did the same thing with original painted and patched jackets. You couldn't beat thier bid on anything for at least a year and then all of the sudden everything was for sale, and they were gone .

It's called the "thrill of the chase", soon to be followed by "I need to grind these jackets up, put them in a syringe and fire them into my arm" and eventually "I don't have any money and need to sell somethinig". A very common malady IMO.