• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just found an interesting vintage leather jacket in my barn!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

I was rooting around in the top of our barn this morning, and found this leather jacket hung up behind several old overcoats. It looks like it's been there a very long time. I think a fair few generations of mice have been living in it, and who knows what else.

Style-wise it looks a bit barnstormer-ish. I'm guessing 1920s - 1940s, but hard tell given the state that it's in. Anyone have any ideas? It's obviously beyond repair, but I may be able to make a pattern from it and try to recreate it. It might be a fun project for the summer.

Cheers,

Jon

Front-6_zps7ba0accd.jpg

Back-2_zpse30d42e0.jpg

Cuff_zps48b3f606.jpg

Frontdetail_zpsfc8414b2.jpg

Backdetail_zps1fc1b637.jpg

Collar1_zps9553fb3d.jpg

Collar2_zpsb798847f.jpg

A

Anonymous

Re: Just found an interesting vintage leather jacket in my b

Careful, I think I saw a Zombie in last weeks episode of the walking Dead wearing that.

dmar836

Is an interesting pattern. Would make a cool motoring jacket if you are so inclined.
I'd post it on Ebay as "excellent condition for it's age" or say it's likely "from a WWI RAF ace"!

Dave

jonnyboy

dmar836 said:
Is an interesting pattern. Would make a cool motoring jacket if you are so inclined.
I'd post it on Ebay as "excellent condition for it's age" or say it's likely "from a WWI RAF ace"!

Dave

I think a couple of coats of Pecards should do the trick. Plus a few fixed stitches here and there...good as new!

Cheers,

Jon

havocpaul

I know of a few eBay sellers who would spin that as "private-purchase flight jacket given to local farmer by 101st AB officer in exchange for his daughter/wine/food (delete as applicable) on the morning after D-Day"! :)

FlyingYankee

havocpaul said:
I know of a few eBay sellers who would spin that as "private-purchase flight jacket given to local farmer by 101st AB officer in exchange for his daughter/wine/food (delete as applicable) on the morning after D-Day"! :)
Whoever traded THAT for the farmers daughter made a good trade

Silver Surfer

she was just the farmers daughter, but all the horse manure. oh, the jac looks like a 30s hunting jacket. save the buttons.

bseal

Clearly an early mid 80's Aero Leathers Cheyenne.

dmar836

havocpaul said:
jonnyboy said:
I think a couple of coats of Pecards should do the trick. Plus a few fixed stitches here and there...good as new!

Cheers,

Jon

LOL. Both responses are spot on!
Dave

PaulGT3

As we say after an errant trip OFF the race track, "that will buff right out!"

havocpaul

FlyingYankee said:
havocpaul said:
Whoever traded THAT for the farmers daughter made a good trade
Not if you saw the farmer's daughter now she's 80! Jacket is probably in better nick :)

A

Anonymous

Looks like it's out of a horror movie called "The killer with the sickle"
but yes it's an interesting pattern