• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jackets youre in NO rush to own..

Tim P

I love jackets, leather cloth, mil spec, Barbour, outdoor, the list goes on, here are some I am in no rush to own.
Avirex back seam painted batwing distressed A-2's
USAF CWU7
A-1s, sorry, just dont like em...
A-2's by LL Bean.

Not a fan of offset zip b15's in cotton either or the look of WEP jackets,
CWU series are good IMHO though. ;) although I dont own one.

442RCT

I'm a non-discriminating accumulator of flight 'type' jackets...although I admit, since joining this merry little band at VLJ, I'll probably be more picky about what I buy. As for Avirex's, well I have a soft spot for them, they were my first A-2s. If they have artwork on the back, seamed or not, I'd be interested, if they don't have artwork, then, no, I won't bid on them. An Avirex in horsehide, definitly interested. Currently I'm working on a gawd-awful lambskin Avirex A-2 someone dyed green, the cuffs, waistband and on the leather, the green is flaking off. It has a seam running through the center of the back, handwarmer pockets. I decided to do a G.I. Jane paint job on it. A WW2 G.I. Jane pin-up girl on each side of the seam. :roll:

rgraham

I bought an A-2 from LL Bean in the very early eighties. It was a great jacket. I'd still be wearing it if I hadn't gained an extra fifty pounds. I still have it though.
The one's they make now are not the same.

zoomer

Lost Worlds' "Airborne" jacket in Fender Custom Shop Prosonic Amp Green Goatskin.
JungleGoatskin42-4.jpg

That said, I have a few well appointed female friends who would ROCK this jacket. Can you tell why?

Tim P

I can guess why and I would like to meet them.
By the way, none of the jackets I have listed are bad, just not to my taste.

jack aranda

I would not be cremated in any Wilson's jacket, for starters. And most of the wide lapel horrors of the 1970's, but, ESPECIALLY, ESPECIALLY the "Fight Club" ghastlies that fill whole pages on ebay.

Sigh. Yes, I'm an unrepentant snob. :oops: Aero, Johnson, and John Chapman have ruined me for lesser work. If I ever add an Eastman or The Few 'Hurricane' model, why they'll be on the list of 'spoilers, as well.

MikeyB-17

I don't like B-2's-sorry, that huge collar doesn't do it for me. I won't buy another L-2B either-I've owned three and they've all been ridiculously short on me. I used to say I wouldn't buy a B-15 either, again I don't like the collar, but I picked one up cheap on Ebay, a Buzz Rickson B-15D which I actually rather liked. Don't like the WWII versions though. Some I like and have owned but probably won't buy again, mainly nylons like MA1's and N-3B's which are good jackets, but never got any wear when I had them. The N-3B was waaay too heavy.

zoomer

What I like about the A-1 is that it's a slouchier, more cardigan-like garment, which doesn't mold the wearer into a stance quite as much as the A-2 or G-1 do. The buttons and knit collar take it out of the machine age warrior/cyclist esthetic and give it more of a vintage sportswear feel.

The 2 snaps on the waist are all you need to close in a hurry. And if you get a nice capeskin example (like my ELC or Willis), it is lightweight and has that soft buttery hand - like lamb, only sturdier and more substantial.

If your taste in jackets looks toward the iconic, well yes, the A-1 might not be your dish. I enjoy mine for themselves as well as for their not so widely appreciated history.

3540405404_c4af4a6338.jpg

The A-1's only chance at immortality. Only Angels Have Wings, 1939. Cary Grant and Jean Arthur.

A

Anonymous

cap006vw8.png

I have to say that the A-1 type looks very cool and the wool collar has to be more comfortable for open travel if not warmer .I do not own one but thats because I still searching for the perfect A-2 type .Sorry I stole somones picture .

Rgds Jeff

zoomer

Whosever it is, it's a great pic.

I agree with you - I think the collar is actually the weak point of the A-2 design. Little warmth, tricky closure, inadequate comfort. It's often too tight for one's size in milspec patterns, and can rub on your neck if you wear it popped. Finally, the best looking designs (Doniger, Dubow) don't work well popped, because the flared points flap too much.

Atticus

First, let me answer the question posed by the thread: I'm in no rush to own anything made of sheepskin (cape, excluded). I generally like the looks of B-3s, B-6s, Irvins, M-445s and all the rest...and I'm sure they are great jackets...but I would never have the opportunity to wear one of those things here in hot-assed North Carolina. True, I own a few examples of heavy nylon...N-2As and the like...but I seldom wear them. Thankfully, they weren't terribly expensive, so not getting to wear them doesn't cause me much heartburn.

On another topic broached by this thread, I like A-1s (as opposed to A-2s) because I am interested in depression-era American history...and because not everybody and his cat owns an A-1. I'm pretty sure that most over-fifty males in New Bern own some sort of A-2ish mall jacket. On any given morning in autumn, I can walk into my coffee shop and see a dozen "A-2s". I've said it before, the place often looks like the briefing room of some geriatric bomber squadron. But not a single one of those old farts will be rocking an A-1....'cause Pennys don't sell no A-1s.

Finally, the A-1 was born in the twenties and it really goes well with a fedora-bashed Open Road. I really like Open Roads. The A-2 is much more of a ball cap kinda jacket.

AF

Hawkeye

Just about anything Nylon I'm in no rush to buy (actually the only nylon I might ever possibly buy in the future is the Buzz 1945 L-2). Other than that I'm not really a fan.

better duck

I'm not into Nylon / Nomex, although I have one of each, but never wear them. The A1 doesn't do it for me, nor does the B2. A2 (design flaws and all) all the way, an occasional M422 for a change, extra comfort and carrier capacity.

Curahee

Any nylon jacket (soulless), B-15 (too modern), M422 and G-1
I don't like the fur collars on those jackets.
A-1 :? sorry thanks but no thanks, just looks too weird to me.
B-3,maybe not really sure, maybe looking too much like Santa Claus's work gear,
D-1 etc too simple....wait maybe I should tell you what I do like.

A-2
B-10
ANJ-4
Pea coat

And that's it

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
But that one has a fur collar too, so how come you do dig that one?

I'm trying to stay out of it, Peter, as one by one, my heros are maligned. But I hafta say .... don't be expecting logic to come into it. :?

zoomer

Some guys just prefer more universal styles. It doesn't make them copycats, any more than you and I are if we wear khaki pants.

Curahee actually has a very good point, in that the A-1 does look "weird." I think what he means is it is not an icon. It has almost no pop culture identity. No note of wartime heroism or outlaw ruggedness. And it is frankly impractical - no protective leather clothing has had buttons for most of the last century.

The first time I myself saw an A-1, I thought, "Interesting. But I wouldn't wear one." I now own five! :shock: But if I had found it "weird" rather than "interesting," it would be a different story.

Peter Graham

After reading some of you guys comments about the A-1 I am beginning to see it in a new light. Quirky and interesting. I like those qualities. I have yet to see one in the flesh but I can now see me owning one in the future. Anyone got a 38 for sale ? Another point. It says something about the camaraderie that now exists on this forum that this thread has not degenerated into a slanging match.......yet !