Jackets from Japan

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Recently came across 3 jackets that I hadn't seen before, so thought I'd share them with the good folk here as a diversion from all the A-2's. The top on is by Buzz and I couldn't resist; hopefully it will look as good on me as it does on the mannequin. In the middle is another civi jacket from Buzz; I wasn't so sold on it and dropped out of the race when the price went above $100. Bottom is by Bootleggers Reunion, who are a well-known high end vintage reproducer; I woeuld prefer it if it wasn't quite so distressed, but I'd be tempted if the price were to come down appreciably.


 

johnwayne

Well-Known Member
Wow, jackets 1 and 2 are really nice (not sure about the cuff straps on 2 but that's subjective).
The first jacket seems a cross over between and M421 summer jacket (JC at Goodwear currently selling a BR one on his 'Sale' page I nearly bought but alittle big) and an M41 'Parsons' jacket - a mongrel you might say!!
Nevertheless, I do like that one in particular - if its a 42-44 and you want to offload it let me know - dont really need another jacket but you obviously know 'that feeling' when you see one you like!!!

cheers
Wayne
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
johnwayne said:
Wow, jackets 1 and 2 are really nice (not sure about the cuff straps on 2 but that's subjective).
The first jacket seems a cross over between and M421 summer jacket (JC at Goodwear currently selling a BR one on his 'Sale' page I nearly bought but alittle big) and an M41 'Parsons' jacket - a mongrel you might say!!
Nevertheless, I do like that one in particular - if its a 42-44 and you want to offload it let me know
The Curtiss jacket is a 38", and I'm hoping a keeper. I agree with you about the leather cuff straps (the side straps were also leather); it was the thing I wasn't keen on, plus I'm not crazy about having someone else's name on my jacket.

The Fire Service jacket retails at getting on for US$600, and while this example is round about $450 it's still too much for me...in fact I'd probably be looking to pay around half that amount, but with the exchange rate as it is that ain't gonna happen.
 

Monsoon

Active Member
asiamiles said:
.....plus I'm not crazy about having someone else's name on my jacket.
That is what keeps me away from 99% of the Buzz nylon jackets. I don't like wearing someone elses name/rank/squadron patches.

The fire jacket is interesting, tho. I think I like that one the best of the bunch, tho the Curtiss is nice, too.
 

RCSignals

New Member
I like the Curtiss and the Fire jacket.

I don't understand the placing of names on reproduction jackets like the second one. They should give the buyer an option to have no name or their own name.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
RCSignals said:
I don't understand the placing of names on reproduction jackets like the second one. They should give the buyer an option to have no name or their own name.
The latter isn't really feasible as these are items sold in regular shops. But I share your feelings. If I were to buy say a vintage work shirt, I don't really mind it having a name on it even if I'd prefer one without one, but the presence of a name on a repro item is definitely a put-off for me. Luckily, I only have a couple such examples and with the Buzz 37J1 it was easy to fade the name on the leather tag. The Japanese like decorated jackets and I guess they must like having the names on their as well...if sales had indicated otherwise I think the companies would have stopped doing it.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Monsoon said:
That is what keeps me away from 99% of the Buzz nylon jackets. I don't like wearing someone elses name/rank/squadron patches.
It's interesting, as I don't either, but then I do think the jackets look better with some kind of ornamentation. It's why I'm drawn to civi jackets like that Curtiss and the Fire one.
 

Monsoon

Active Member
asiamiles said:
The Japanese like decorated jackets and I guess they must like having the names on their as well...if sales had indicated otherwise I think the companies would have stopped doing it.
100% correct. I checked out that Rakuten site you sent me the link to, and patched/named jackets are there by the dozen, but ones without patches are few and far between.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Remember Japan is the country of the sukajan, sometimes called Souvenir Jackets. I have to confess I was immune to their appeal but recently have considered adding one to my jacket collection. Tailor Toyo (which as the name suggests is a stablemate of Buzz Rickson's) makes some nice repro vintage sukajans, some specific to US military bases and squadrons though those don't interest me.
 

Rutger

Well-Known Member
Monsoon said:
asiamiles said:
.....plus I'm not crazy about having someone else's name on my jacket.
That is what keeps me away from 99% of the Buzz nylon jackets. I don't like wearing someone elses name/rank/squadron patches.

The fire jacket is interesting, tho. I think I like that one the best of the bunch, tho the Curtiss is nice, too.
Well, there are BR jackets with the name tag to be inserted into a transparant whatsitcalledinEnglish on the chest. Included is an order form to have your own name embossed into it.
 

Monsoon

Active Member
Rutger said:
Well, there are BR jackets with the name tag to be inserted into a transparant whatsitcalledinEnglish on the chest. Included is an order form to have your own name embossed into it.
Really? I never noticed that. I thought they were all sewn on.

And I think the proper name for the "Transparent whatsitcalledinEnglish" is "doohickey". "Thingumabob" is always acceptable, too. ;)
 

Monsoon

Active Member
asiamiles said:
Remember Japan is the country of the sukajan, sometimes called Souvenir Jackets. I have to confess I was immune to their appeal but recently have considered adding one to my jacket collection. Tailor Toyo (which as the name suggests is a stablemate of Buzz Rickson's) makes some nice repro vintage sukajans, some specific to US military bases and squadrons though those don't interest me.

http://www.amazon.com/Tailor-Toyo-Souve ... 478&sr=1-2

I remember some kids rockin' these jackets on base when I was a dependent.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Rutger said:
Well, there are BR jackets with the name tag to be inserted into a transparant whatsitcalledinEnglish on the chest.
Yes, Buzz has done an MA-1 (and maybe a lightweight nylon jacket as well) with the plastic nametag holder, presumably on a model where it was deemed appropriate...others will know when these were actually being used by the USAF. The problem is, they don't look all that great when new, and are prone to discolour with age.
 

Monsoon

Active Member
asiamiles said:
The problem is, they don't look all that great when new, and are prone to discolour with age.
They start to yellow, and in the case of MA-1s used by the Air Force, silver "smearing" builds up on the inside where the name and wings rub against it.
 

asiamiles

Well-Known Member
Monsoon said:
They start to yellow, and in the case of MA-1s used by the Air Force, silver "smearing" builds up on the inside where the name and wings rub against it.
Buzz repros are accurate in both cases :!:
 

Rutger

Well-Known Member
Monsoon said:
asiamiles said:
Remember Japan is the country of the sukajan, sometimes called Souvenir Jackets. I have to confess I was immune to their appeal but recently have considered adding one to my jacket collection. Tailor Toyo (which as the name suggests is a stablemate of Buzz Rickson's) makes some nice repro vintage sukajans, some specific to US military bases and squadrons though those don't interest me.

http://www.amazon.com/Tailor-Toyo-Souve ... 478&sr=1-2

I remember some kids rockin' these jackets on base when I was a dependent.
1200 USD :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:



Below pics of my B-15D(mod) that included all the paperwork when I bought it on Ebay-Germany.





 
Top