• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

CombatWombat

Did you get a notification that they were shipping the jacket or did it just show up?
Like a ninja master......it probably randomly popped up at his door
This is why I don't go with the "made to order" guys..... throwing a few thousand dollars and having to wait almost a year or two in line with next to no updates would bring out my inner Hulk

M. from Berlin

Did you get a notification that they were shipping the jacket or did it just show up?
Hello
I asked two weeks ago. An answer came promptly: Your jacket will be shipped in the next week. Last time I had to wait almost a year.

Best Mario

Brettafett

I wore my Dubow last night, and was tickled pink again. This is all the jacket anyone needs, I regret not getting a russet at the same time.

I think people forget, this jacket is a third the cost of a GW or ELC... And stands shoulder to shoulder on the high end shelf.
Everyone who's has ordered one eventually receives it. At this price, I think one should be able to put up with the wait time and comms lag.
Hell Im over a year waiting for my GW an not heard a peep, but I know it'll will happen.
He who dares wins.

Mr. Mike

I wore my Dubow last night, and was tickled pink again. This is all the jacket anyone needs, I regret not getting a russet at the same time.

I think people forget, this jacket is a third the cost of a GW or ELC... And stands shoulder to shoulder on the high end shelf.
Everyone who's has ordered one eventually receives it. At this price, I think one should be able to put up with the wait time and comms lag.
Hell Im over a year waiting for my GW an not heard a peep, but I know it'll will happen.
He who dares wins.
Well said Brett. I am still tempted to order with Platon again this time a size up as his sizes come out on the short side and not inline with the original measure scale of Dubow unfortunately. I just fear that it will be too roomy in the body then.

Brettafett

As I understand, he is trying to get orders out and then will be looking at the 20960 and that G-1 later in the year.
I will be keeping a sharp eye out. A 20960 in russet may just hit the spot, if it materialises... Recon it 'should' be different enough to warrant a look-see.

mulceber

Yep, I think that's mostly what's held me back from buying from Platon. After owning a few A-2s, I've realized (and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here) that I'm not really a fan of the collar on the later Dubows. That's just my tastes though.

Brettafett

Its been the other way round for me. I was always a RW collar fan. I bought my first Dubow (Platon) because it looked good for the price, and have come to love the simple slightly pointy collar.
I love how this and my BK Dubow's collar sits, splayed out. Easy ro wear.
I think this is also whats drawn me to the Doniger, that sharp profile.
I know the 20960 has a more traditional collar, so let see if this jacket comes about.

Pa12

I agree. I have my roughwear because it’s just a must have. But the dubow is my favourite contract. My only complaint would Be that they’re a bit short. But I love the small collar and the shape of the pocket flaps. Guess that’s why we need more then one jacket.

Dany McDonald

Personally I'd go for an Aero contract as I'd like to see what Platon would do with it. And I have a NOS Crown waiting to have a projet built around it. That being said I understand the implications of moving from a manufacturer to another, especially if you have the patterns, hardware and knittings ready for production.

Just my two cents...

Dany

Brettafett

Dany, I doubt Platon would take on anything other than Dubow.

I recon for an Aero, it has to GW, DD, BK or Aeroleather (some decent prices now and again on sale jackets and they will add some length if need be).
Isn't Aero's 18775 built from patterns shared by John?
Personally, Ive been interested in the 3785 for a long time, another unique-ish A-2.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Brett,

I'd also go for a used DD for another Aero jacket, some of his skins were gorgeous. Norshor has a pretty good hold on the surface look, he is good and his outfit is an overlooked option in my book. Don't know why we don't see some more of his jackets here....

P.S I do love my Dubow a lot...

Dany

Flightengineer

I think the short side is more typically to the large sizes of Platon's jacket.
Judging by the publications by Grant measurements of his original Dubow, Platon made the size 42 exactly.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with my two jackets from Platon. It's a pity that the hosting on which I used to post photos died, most of my photos disappeared from this thread, as well as from others.

B-Man2

Platons jackets in his larger size 46 ( he discontinued making size 48s) have always been about 1 inch short. I had a size 48 that was 25 inches in length.
Thats just too short for a repro jacket made in that size. All of the originals Ive owned in size 48 were always 26 inches or longer. Its a shame beause I loved the jacket and it was very well made, but I had to move it on.

Last edited:

Juanito

Platons jackets in his larger size 46 ( he discontinued making size 48s) have always been about 1 inch short. I had a size 48 that was 25 inches in length.
Thats just too short for a repro jacket made in that size. All of the originals Ive owned in size 48 were always 26 inches or longer. Its a shame beause I loved the jacket and it was very well made, but I had to move it on.
Fortunately, I got it and it is perfect for me. Absolutely love that jacket.