• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

coolhandluke

Yeah, Ive not heard much about Norshor, though Ive seen some decent pics of the jackets.

I can say from my sample size of one jacket from each Norshor and GW, the gap between the two is in the same ballpark (at least with my two examples). A casual glance at the jackets hanging next to each other would lead you to assume both were made by the same entity (heresy...I know). I believe that Mark received a good amount of knowledge from JC over the years and it shows in his work.

My Norshor Dubow test jacket has a couple wonky aspects (under arms seams don't line up, and one of the collar studs may be located slightly off), but I chalk this up to the fact that it's a sale priced test jacket and Mark's normal production samples are likely spot on.

That being said, the Platon Dubow looks like a jacket that should retail for twice the price. If they had been accepting new orders a few months back, I would have ordered one myself. Your Platon is my personal favorite of all the jackets that I've seen you in.

BTW, below is a comparison of a Norshor Dubow to a GW jacket. The HH on the GW is a little higher grade than my Victoria Italian HH, but the remaining details and construction appear to be pretty damn similar IMO.

Norshor

Screenshot_20220705-185105_Gallery.jpg

GW

Screenshot_20220414-101946_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Micawber

I have posted photos of the 44" Platon Dubow I bought new right from unpacking some years ago through to how it held up to my kind of heavy wear. I posted more photos after more heavy wear through to its eventual refinishing, patching and then handing it on to my son. I was putting on weight at the time and it was getting a bit snug for my kind of use ...which is often at the harder end of the scale. I've been quite content to wear a GW, ELC, Platon, McCoy's etc while fixing a tractor, digging out a ditch in rain, sun, wind and snow as well as for a trip into town for a meal or to attend a casual meeing. It's all on here somewhere.

Based on that one jacket I would quite happily order a 46". Being a sub six footer the length is not an issue. The quality is up there with the best and only a snob would baulk at the lower pricing compared to other high end makers. These are excellent reproduction A2 jackets.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

My Norshor Dubow test jacket has a couple wonky aspects (under arms seams don't line up, and one of the collar studs may be located slightly off), but I chalk this up to the fact that it's a sale priced test jacket and Mark's normal production samples are likely spot on.

I love your jacket, the wonky stuff is alright with me as you will find it all over originals, but that finish is just beautiful! Wish Mark would post here and share his impressions on jacket making and collecting.

Thank you,

Dany

Dany McDonald

I think Mark's stuff is underrated. Ive not seen much besides what's posted here and occasionally on his website, but looks great.

Bret, absolutely, Mark may have hit a homerun with his way of mimicking the dark finish, with more experience he may even capture the Aero (Style) of overcoating and uneven wear we can see on originals.

Dany

Last edited:

Flightengineer

It is interesting that my second seal Platon Dubow aging not similar my first one. There is no orange/rusty color base, and the paint in the top points seems to be partly coming off. The underside color looks lighter, very similar to goatskin on old G1s but of course it is definitely nice horsehide.

Initial wear looks more discretе than on the first jacket where the top coat of paint comes off more slowly and smoothly.
I wonder if this jacket will be able to develop a patina over time like the original

leper-colony

It is interesting that my second seal Platon Dubow aging not similar my first one. There is no orange/rusty color base, and the paint in the top points seems to be partly coming off. The underside color looks lighter, very similar to goatskin on old G1s but of course it is definitely nice horsehide.

Initial wear looks more discretе than on the first jacket where the top coat of paint comes off more slowly and smoothly.
I wonder if this jacket will be able to develop a patina over time like the original
Reminds me of BK Liberty leather.