• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

j a dubow dubow

Silver Surfer

back in the spring there was a listing on greedbay for two new ja dubow dubows. one in seal, one in russet, both size 42 [flagged here in the eb section]. I contacted the seller [from France] and made an offer for the russet dubow, which he accepted. the new hh that Platon is using prompted me to action,, and the measurements were spot on for me. because the price with shipping was significantly less than a direct purchase from j a dubow, I decided that this is the one to have art work done, and to patch it as a 5th af king of the heavies. the back art work was done by ed burks [[email protected]] a nam vet. the chest and shoulder embroidered 5th patches are wwll originals made in oz, and I made the embossed wings. there are several iterations of the "king of the heavies" and I opted for what ya see in the pic. I would add that the hides used for this a-2 are remarkably close, if not dead on for the hides used for original dubows, ie: lighter weight, grainy-smooth, easy wearing out of the box, drape nicely, and look as though the surface color will wear down to reveal the lighter base color.. with some serious wear time, this one will have the "look".
IMG_4006.JPG
IMG_4006.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG
IMG_4009.JPG
IMG_4010.JPG

ausreenactor

btw, I touched up burks's work a little in an attempt to make it look a little worn, and not so new. yes, both the large and smaller 5th patches were recent eb purchases. I decided to go with originals as they are affordable, like not much more than repros, and well, repros look like......repros.
I was cursing the Gods when it moved. Was watching it for years... Went to a great home. All is good.

johnwayne

Out if curiosity, have you copied an original?
I ask as personally, I think the patches look slightly mis-positioned! Sorry not trying to be critical as it looks really nice, always liked the 5AF patch since seeing an original at Chino on a visit a good few years ago. That had the 5” patch on left side like most and name tag sitting higher. Great paintwork too!

Silver Surfer

height, side to side patch placements was all over the place on original wwll a-2s, John. often when a large 5th, 8th, 15th, etc chest patch was placed on an a-2, they were applied on the right and a squadron patch stitched on the left, below a name tag, wings, or both. this configuration is not etched in stone,, as there so many variations of the theme. I opted to place the wings higher so that if I chose to add a name tag and, or squadron patch it would look correct. the art work is based on an original "king of the heavies". ps: the same configuration for placement of a group patch [right chest] squadron patch [left chest]. oh, and sometimes one or the other would be applied, or both, or, or, or......it seems that the jackets worn in the eta were more uniform [excuse the pun] in patch placement than in the cbi.....sometimes.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

yeah, Burt, post it. I have seen original "king of the heavies" with different lettering, and a coupla with a silhouetted b-24 behind or below the lion on the globe.

Last edited: