• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s Time To Get Back To Our Roots.

Dumpster D

You had me worried for a second when I first read the thread title.

29020604_001_d.jpg

johnwayne

My Dubow 27798 - not sure what happened to the label! Bought this off Roughwear many years ago due to him acquiring an even mintier one and I believe at some point it’s passed through Aeroleather’s for refurb! It’s a perfect true fit for a 44” - must admit when I rarely wear it I do get a buzz (excuse the pun) knowing it’s original. Poss a tad short in the sleeves but it’s a real one!!!
46F0CA0A-BF48-4E5B-BC8B-B1D2E86002DB.jpeg

ButteMT61

Hey, I'd love to chat and post up OG A-2's, but this 48 doesn't see them often, and if I do, they're waaaaay too much money for me.
But nice idea, I'll take that one at the top :)

blackrat2

Good post Burt, think some of the reasons we don’t see many A2 jackets posted up from this side of the pond, is probably trying to find one in good size and shape and cost of shipping has made things way harder, probably would account for more UK owners posting up Irvin’s..which might now not be so affordable to you guys?!

B-Man2

My Dubow 27798 - not sure what happened to the label! Bought this off Roughwear many years ago due to him acquiring an even mintier one and I believe at some point it’s passed through Aeroleather’s for refurb! It’s a perfect true fit for a 44” - must admit when I rarely wear it I do get abuzz (excuse the pun) knowing it’s original. Poss a tad short in the sleeves but it’s a real one!!!View attachment 136967
That’s a great jacket !
Its value will continue to increase over the years . I love seeing how originals compare to the repros being offered today .

warguy

This post popped up in my what have you missed on VLJ. I am not ready to be as active as I was before but glad to see a return to originals and perhaps if that continues, my previous frustrations over the repro talk here might dissipate. I love originals as well. I will add a couple quick ones in the hope it sparks interest and keeps this subject going. The Silver Queen is part iof a large grouping of material to a 22 year old pilot who flew a B-17 out of England finishing 32 missions by August of 44 and returning home safely. It is well researched, includes a very large photo album, insignia, a piece of flak, etc. The next one is a great example of a goatskin jacket worn by a Captain, pilot of an B-17, also flying out of England who received the Purple Heart for a serious injury during a raid in August 1943. He then served in HQ until he was back in the pilots seat in the fall of 1944 and was over there until after the surrender, the second longest serving airman in England in his bomb group. He is photographed wearing this jacket in 1944 in England, center of photo. He went on to serve in Korea and had a long career.
IMG_1904.jpeg
IMG_1903.jpeg
IMG_1912.jpeg
IMG_1926.png

B-Man2

Good post Burt, think some of the reasons we don’t see many A2 jackets posted up from this side of the pond, is probably trying to find one in good size and shape and cost of shipping has made things way harder, probably would account for more UK owners posting up Irvin’s..which might now not be so affordable to you guys?!
Confession
I've never even seen an original of any description in real life let alone owned one. :(
Totally understand guys .
Originals aren’t as available as they were 10 or 15 years ago . They’ve been stored away into collections and only surface when collectors upgrade, get bored of the hobby , or get older and decide to pass them on .
The ones that are available today are often very high priced and not in great shape .
If you were fortunate to buy them early on the prices were much more reasonable.

Brettafett

This post popped up in my what have you missed on VLJ. I am not ready to be as active as I was before but glad to see a return to originals and perhaps if that continues, my previous frustrations over the repro talk here might dissipate. I love originals as well. I will add a couple quick ones in the hope it sparks interest and keeps this subject going. The Silver Queen is part iof a large grouping of material to a 22 year old pilot who flew a B-17 out of England finishing 32 missions by August of 44 and returning home safely. It is well researched, includes a very large photo album, insignia, a piece of flak, etc. The next one is a great example of a goatskin jacket worn by a Captain, pilot of an B-17, also flying out of England who received the Purple Heart for a serious injury during a raid in August 1943. He then served in HQ until he was back in the pilots seat in the fall of 1944 and was over there until after the surrender, the second longest serving airman in England in his bomb group. He is photographed wearing this jacket in 1944 in England, center of photo. He went on to serve in Korea and had a long career. View attachment 137149
@warguy Do we know what maker this is? It appears to be a Bronco 1761, but would be great to know for sure.
IMG_1904.jpeg

Pa12

Totally understand guys .
Originals aren’t as available as they were 10 or 15 years ago . They’ve been stored away into collections and only surface when collectors upgrade, get bored of the hobby , or get older and decide to pass them on .
The ones that are available today are often very high priced and not in great shape .
If you were fortunate to buy them early on the prices were much more reasonable.
And if you ever had any doubts about the authenticity of a repro, you have the ultimate example for comparison.

B-Man2

This post popped up in my what have you missed on VLJ. I am not ready to be as active as I was before but glad to see a return to originals and perhaps if that continues, my previous frustrations over the repro talk here might dissipate. I love originals as well. I will add a couple quick ones in the hope it sparks interest and keeps this subject going. The Silver Queen is part iof a large grouping of material to a 22 year old pilot who flew a B-17 out of England finishing 32 missions by August of 44 and returning home safely. It is well researched, includes a very large photo album, insignia, a piece of flak, etc. The next one is a great example of a goatskin jacket worn by a Captain, pilot of an B-17, also flying out of England who received the Purple Heart for a serious injury during a raid in August 1943. He then served in HQ until he was back in the pilots seat in the fall of 1944 and was over there until after the surrender, the second longest serving airman in England in his bomb group. He is photographed wearing this jacket in 1944 in England, center of photo. He went on to serve in Korea and had a long career. View attachment 137149View attachment 137151View attachment 137153View attachment 137155
Warguy
Great jackets but even more .. outstanding provenance and history . I can tell that you’re like many here who love the original jackets but love the stories behind them as well.
Thanks for posting . Look for a PM

B-Man2

Bretta you are right, it is in fact a Bronco. Here are more pics of that collectionView attachment 137163View attachment 137165View attachment 137167View attachment 137169View attachment 137171View attachment 137173View attachment 137175. The other one, the goatskin, is a Dubow contract 27796. Thanks for the nice compliment B-Man.
Wow !
How nice that the collection stayed in tact and that it wasn’t broken up and sold in pieces . Sad that the family had to let it go, especially since the owner was a real war hero with a DFC and 4 Air Medals .
Great to see that you were able to acquire this collection to act as its custodian until the next caring person acquired it .

warguy

Thank you Burt. Yes the vet died at an early age, only 41. I havent been able to find out how or why as of yet, but I suspect this collection has been in collectors hands since the early 1970’s. It is a testament to the importance of ethical collectors who are dedicated to preserving, researching and maintaining these artifacts. I am but the current caretaker, and will do my part to assure this collection is carefully cared for so that the next generation can enjoy it as much as I have.

B-Man2

Thank you Burt. Yes the vet died at an early age, only 41. I havent been able to find out how or why as of yet, but I suspect this collection has been in collectors hands since the early 1970’s. It is a testament to the importance of ethical collectors who are dedicated to preserving, researching and maintaining these artifacts. I am but the current caretaker, and will do my part to assure this collection is carefully cared for so that the next generation can enjoy it as much as I have.
Well said Kev
Having these artifacts is nice but they come with a great deal of responsibility to care for them and to find good homes for them when your tenure as caretaker is over.