• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this really a Vanson jacket

rarbour

I just bought this jacket at a thrift store in NY. I know that the label is not original so I'm curious to know if the jacket is a true Vanson. The main and cuff zippers are Talon. I have looked on the internet and could not find a match which leads me to believe it may be another make with a homemade Vanson tag. The main zipper does need some repair but for $39 it was still a deal. Thanks Ron

Attachments

• 20231113_074312.jpg
    20231113_074312.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 20231113_074320.jpg
    20231113_074320.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20231113_074336.jpg
    20231113_074336.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 20231112_091813.jpg
    20231112_091813.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • 20231112_091817.jpg
    20231112_091817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107

johnwayne

Haven’t we seen this before! Cant say I know anything about Vanson jackets but its not military nor vintage, I suggest it’s just a ‘cafe racer/bike jacket’!!

rarbour

Haven’t we seen this before! Cant say I know anything about Vanson jackets but its not military nor vintage, I suggest it’s just a ‘cafe racer/bike jacket’!!
My apologies. I thought this was a forum for general to include motorcycle jackets. I see now that its military related. So I'll delete my post!!

entertainment

I looked at the Rin Tanaka book about Schott. The jackets from the seventies have Talon zippers with zipper boxes with the embossed T. Not sure how long these zippers were made. The way the zipper box is formed is characteristic of vintage zippers.

rarbour

The label doesn't look genuine, and the ends of the cuffs have been butchered/shortened. Vanson sleeve ends don't have visible stitching, I had 5 vansons, just sold my vanson E,View attachment 126895
I agree. The sleeves are cut off. Thinking they may have had damage so they modified the ends of the cuffs. I found one for sale online that looks much like it with good cuffs. Oh well still a nice jacket for the price.

Chandler

Zipper on my late sixties or early seventies Beck 999.
View attachment 126931
That's exactly what mine looks like on my 1977 Schott -- however, I have a vague recollection of replacing the zip in the later 70s or early 80s because the male end on the left started to separate from the tape.

Maybe the tailor used the same model Talon? Maybe they only replaced the tape? Too long ago to recall.

Juanito

I just bought this jacket at a thrift store in NY. I know that the label is not original so I'm curious to know if the jacket is a true Vanson. The main and cuff zippers are Talon. I have looked on the internet and could not find a match which leads me to believe it may be another make with a homemade Vanson tag. The main zipper does need some repair but for $39 it was still a deal. Thanks Ron
Just call up or e-mail Vanson. (508) 678-2000. They are one of the few jacket makers that pretty much take all calls and every jacket is made right there in Fall River, MA.

The jacket looks like an early 1970s Excelled to me, although I have never seen one with a cloth lined collar.

Last edited: