• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this N-3B original vintage or modern repro?

dr.raul

A guy sells this N-3B as an original from the 50s. The internal label is missing so it's impossible to exactly identify the manufacturer and the period. As it seems in very good conditions I was pretty sure it was a modern repro but after seeing the one that B-Man2 has posted in the buy/sell section I have some doubt as the two jackets are nearly identical. Here is some pic, what is your opinion? Genuine or repro? Thanks

1669907987.jpeg

1669907989.jpeg

1669907982.jpeg

1669907983.jpeg
1669907985.jpeg

1669907984.jpeg
1669907986.jpeg

dr.raul

If it's original, is it from the 50s or 60s? If I remember well the others I saw with that shiny nylon and color were from the 50s, I have one from 1967 and it's definitely less shiny and a different color tone.

Skyhawk

If it's original, is it from the 50s or 60s? If I remember well the others I saw with that shiny nylon and color were from the 50s, I have one from 1967 and it's definitely less shiny and a different color tone.
Pretty sure that Barrel Conmar zip is from the 1960's

Dany McDonald

Original post 1959 (Clip tab eliminated) and that square Conmar zip hasn't been copied yet.

I'd even add its either a SOUTHERN ATHLETIC CO. INC or SKYLINE CLOTHING CORP as it looks Nylon.

D

bn1966

Looks fantastic, I’d love one like that if it was wearable in the UK. Paid similar money for an N-2A but that does have an intact label.

dr.raul

Thank you for all your replies, I think I will eventually buy it even though it's not very cheap considering the missing label, but it seems in very good conditions and it is in europe, while buying from USA would cost me a fortune of shipping and customs fees.
And if you consider that a modern Woolrich parka here costs over $800 I think this n-3B is cheap in comparison.
A question about cleaning, by having it dry-cleaned is there chance to damage the roundel on the shoulder?
I had my 1967 n-3b dry cleaned and it came out well, and no damage to the real fur, but it has no roundel.
Or can this be washed by hand in water?
Thanks again

Dany McDonald

Nylon washes really well. I wash my Nylons in the machine at the most GENTLE cycle. I do go over with a glycerin soap rub before the machine, inside and out.

BUT be very careful with coyote fur and water. If the fur is already dry, I mean the leather part under the hair, it may induce crackling once dried.

Dany

dr.raul

BUT be very careful with coyote fur and water. If the fur is already dry, I mean the leather part under the hair, it may induce crackling once dried

Thanks, what should be done to avoid this crackling?
Isn't the filling made of wool? Any risk it can shrink or can stain the nylon when washed?

Dany McDonald

Good questions.

Just manipulate the hood and fur with your hands, if its rigid you know its dry. Then avoid water to this part and gently wash and rinse in a bathtub.
Hang to dry, no machine or heat source. This way the filling will retain its shape.

Dany

ZuZu

Thank you for all your replies, I think I will eventually buy it even though it's not very cheap considering the missing label, but it seems in very good conditions and it is in europe, while buying from USA would cost me a fortune of shipping and customs fees.
And if you consider that a modern Woolrich parka here costs over $800 I think this n-3B is cheap in comparison.
A question about cleaning, by having it dry-cleaned is there chance to damage the roundel on the shoulder?
I had my 1967 n-3b dry cleaned and it came out well, and no damage to the real fur, but it has no roundel.
Or can this be washed by hand in water?
Thanks again

I wouldn't clean it. These old guys like to be left alone I've found and if you're OCD like me you'll regret doing it. Spot clean ugly areas only. You really don't want to dunk it in either water or cleaning fluid IMO. And yes- some cleaning fluids will take that roundel clean off. Leave it alone. IMO

JonnyCrow

Talking of parkas, any of you UK guys remember what we called snorkel parkas in the seventies and eighties? Green, blue, brown, all with a orange lining and rabbit fur round the hood haha