• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this jacket saveable?

chefK

Hey guys Im looking at a vintage jacket for a good price but the leather is obviously dry with some damage. Is this at all worth saving? Im new to leather jackets and want to start with something decent but affordable. And the measurements on this are perfect for me

Thanks! Im excited to be here and to learn a lot about jackets!
1000003994.jpg
1000003995.jpg

mulceber

Leather looks like a nubuck to me. If it's stiff, I'd definitely condition it. You can "repair" the holes by opening up the liner and gluing (with leather glue) a suede patch on the underside of the holes. That said, I don't think it's a very valuable jacket. Looks like it's from the 70s-90s. I do like the bound buttonholes though.

chefK

Leather looks like a nubuck to me. If it's stiff, I'd definitely condition it. You can "repair" the holes by opening up the liner and gluing (with leather glue) a suede patch on the underside of the holes. That said, I don't think it's a very valuable jacket. Looks like it's from the 70s-90s. I do like the bound buttonholes though.
Thanks for the reply! The reaosn im interested in this one is because its actual fits my measurements which isnt too common for vintage jackets as Im very tall and build like a tank. I also have a vintage golden bear jacket from my dad that is very nice, but too short for me. So i know they make quality stuff.

Im not actually sure if this is nubuck or ridiculously dry smooth out. But if its worth messing aroind with I might grab it if the seller will take $50

Hopefully it will come back to life with some work!

Last edited:

dbtk44

Definitely looks like it's a nice candidate for repair/restoration! As Mulceber said above, the repair is simple enough as he described, and a good conditioning would definitely give it some new life.

Kinda almost looks like deerskin. At least in the first picture.. nice jacket, whatever hide it may be!