• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there anyplace online to source vintage jacket buttons?

ang_kangkong

I just lost the button to a McCoy's M422A, and I want to replace it with one that will match the other pocket's button. I was thinking of using the button on the collar that keeps the throat latch attached, but then I'd have to replace that one, and it gets more complicated. Also, what thread and needle does one use for these repairs? Just regular sewing thread?

I had a shoe repair guy re-attach the button on the other pocket when the thread was coming apart, but this one just got away from me.

Thanks for all the help.

Bombing IP

Your best bet is to contact Mash in Japan or McCoys they will help you out . Do not ask for one get four so you have some as a backup .Many buttons are not sewn on correctly ,which I mean when sewn to the leather the thread needs to be wrapped around the threads between the button and the leather 5 times .You then have to push the needle the thread through the thread stack 2 or three times and the cut off the excess .This should hold on with out problems ,+the wrapping creates a nice gap between the button and the leather making it easier to button up .Not sure what country your in so the thread advice you will have to seek out your self re source .

Hope this helps .

Bip out

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

A member since 2013 and only 3 messages ...? I must have that wrong.
Were the other 2 messages also asking rather than giving ?

Last edited:

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I wouldn’t touch the rest of the buttons. A picture of the specific model would be helpful. Some guys here might even have matching samples available.... and of course some “other” only uncalled comments. We got everything here for sure lol. Good luck with your search!

ang_kangkong

Your best bet is to contact Mash in Japan or McCoys they will help you out . Do not ask for one get four so you have some as a backup .Many buttons are not sewn on correctly ,which I mean when sewn to the leather the thread needs to be wrapped around the threads between the button and the leather 5 times .You then have to push the needle the thread through the thread stack 2 or three times and the cut off the excess .This should hold on with out problems ,+the wrapping creates a nice gap between the button and the leather making it easier to button up .Not sure what country your in so the thread advice you will have to seek out your self re source .

Hope this helps .

Bip out
It actually looked like that before. The thread that attached it through the button holes to the pocket itself was wrapped around with more thread. There was a little bit of play for the flap to come out. I think it’s more that it’s all cotton or something. I will probably get the thread from Mas as well. Didn’t see that they had the button. Thanks very much for that,

ang_kangkong

Just saying, but have you looked under the collar for the two replacements buttons?

Maybe RMC have not cover this detail... But originals have it.

Dany
Well, I feel like an absolute ass! I looked inside for one, like the ones on shirts or jackets—nothing! Because of your post I looked under the collar opposite the one with the neck stra, and wouldn’t you know it: 2 buttons just for replacemen!

Dunno, might just get some from Mash like they say, as well as the thread… save those for later.

Micawber

Sewing a button on was a near fact of life that was taught to kids as a matter of course where and when I grew up. That bit of thread wrapped around is a way of strengthening the attachment and is just the same bit of thread used to sew through the holes and cloth wound around before securing.

Check how the other buttons are attached and follow the pattern accordingly. Do not sew buttons on too tightly, they need a bit of space between the rear of the button and fabric otherwise the button hole won't sit nicely, in fact if sewn too tight you won't get the button done up properly at all.

For larger external jacket buttons an old tailor's trick that I was taught is to insert a used wooden match behind the back of the button and fabric you are sewing. Sew the button on as per the original pattern but with the match in place behind it, do not sew too tight. Once you have the right amount of stiches bring the needle and thread out between the back of the button and fabric beside the match. Carefully withdraw the match - the button will be loose but that's the aim. Carefully pull the button tight away from the fabric, pull the needle and thread out from behind the button and wrap enough thread around the threads to draw them together and form a neat shank. More difficult to explain than do but the shank and gap allows the button hole to sit and close neetly behind the button - this cannot occur if the button is sewn tight against the cloth.

For handsewn jobs like this I will draw the thread through a block of beeswax prior to sewing. This helps prevent the thread twisting and knotting when sewing and makes it run easier through the fabric. A thimble will make pushing the needle through layers of fabric easier on the middle finger.

This video will help but note they hold the match on the face of the button but I tend to hold it to the rear. Personal choice.

ang_kangkong

Has anybody done this before?

I had a cobbler replace the other button (cotton thread has a tendency to be short-lived, I guess) and he says he didn't use the same holes that the button was originally attached with. Wanted to know if there was a way to use the old holes that were more efficient than just feeling it out with the needle.