• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for manufacturer Tags?

Dany McDonald

Hello,

I love tags, I find them interesting and see them as a significant part of the personality of a jacket with the other features of courses. But tags have a special role in my love for jackets & garment in general. As much as they are generic, they stand out with their administrative information about the maker, contract and type. The fact that they can be woven also please me.

They are (for me) very hard to find and a missing tag sticks out like a sore thumb. I've often wondered if there is a market for manufacturer tags? I'd be a buyer for sure.

What do you think?

Dany

Silver Surfer

the missing a-2 tags were often removed by aaf personal at the time of their "end of duty",or at the end of the war because they often had "property of...." on the tag, and the personal didn't want to be caught stealing us govt property. anyhoo, original nomenclature tags are sought after, not exactly as collectors items, but as replacements for lost tags. rare to find one without a jacket attached to it.

Dany McDonald

the missing a-2 tags were often removed by aaf personal at the time of their "end of duty",or at the end of the war because they often had "property of...." on the tag, and the personal didn't want to be caught stealing us govt property. anyhoo, original nomenclature tags are sought after, not exactly as collectors items, but as replacements for lost tags. rare to find one without a jacket attached to it.

Victor, yes, so why not a market for hi quality reproductions to restore the tags?

D

Smithy

The problem with the tags is that to make them they have to be done in a bulk order - you can't just have half a dozen/twenty made (JC told me this some years back) so they're not cheap to have done.

In terms of missing tags, also remember that those which were relined "in theatre" often did not have the label reattached. And also the A-2s procured by the Norwegian government in exile and issued to Norwegian airmen whilst in Little Norway in Canada (unsurprisingly) contained no label from the get-go.

Dany McDonald

Smithy,

Agreed, the process implies a certain quantity and the 40's woven tags are different than todays. So maybe the top tier repros or else (?) could have their tags available to the public through their web sites?

D

Silver Surfer

I hope that no one here landed the 27798 dubow label that was listed on greed bay. dunno where it came from, but it had incomplete drawing #s, and the size was not on the label, as all 27798 contract dubows had. this one should be filed under the heading "picusfuctus"

bellumbill

Silver Surfer et al. -

I picked up the Dubow label mentioned above - Yes, I knew full well it wasn't correct but I have an older repro jacket with no label, I think its an older cockpit model? It has a "pointier" collar if you will and this label no matter how incorrect will, IMHO,look better in there than none at all. To Dany's point, there are a lot of us out there that love labels - I have a few jackets not from the big reproducers that I think would look great with original maker labels - even a no name label. No one would ever mistake the jackets for original contract jackets or high end reproduction jackets so I don't see the harm. If you are Goodwear or ELC, you are making the labels anyway, why not just add 20 or so extra to your run and sell them "loose"? As for reproductions being used for unscrupulous purposes, hey, where have you guys been since the 1970s? ;) Very best to all! Bill K.

Smithy

Smithy,

Agreed, the process implies a certain quantity and the 40's woven tags are different than todays. So maybe the top tier repros or else (?) could have their tags available to the public through their web sites?

D

It probably depends on the maker Dany. JC (Good Wear) is more than happy to sell labels by themselves, or at least he was 6 years back. But that's John for you, he's just one of the nicest guys there is and always wants to help people and make them happy, let's face it he's the Dalai Lama of jackets!

Some other makers are apparently not at all willing to sell them at all unless to a previous customer.

Micawber

Silver Surfer et al. -

I picked up the Dubow label mentioned above - Yes, I knew full well it wasn't correct but I have an older repro jacket with no label, I think its an older cockpit model? It has a "pointier" collar if you will and this label no matter how incorrect will, IMHO,look better in there than none at all. To Dany's point, there are a lot of us out there that love labels - I have a few jackets not from the big reproducers that I think would look great with original maker labels - even a no name label. No one would ever mistake the jackets for original contract jackets or high end reproduction jackets so I don't see the harm. If you are Goodwear or ELC, you are making the labels anyway, why not just add 20 or so extra to your run and sell them "loose"? As for reproductions being used for unscrupulous purposes, hey, where have you guys been since the 1970s? ;) Very best to all! Bill K.

Since the '70's and before I've been collecting old junk like a few others here Bill :D

Dany McDonald

It probably depends on the maker Dany. JC (Good Wear) is more than happy to sell labels by themselves, or at least he was 6 years back. But that's John for you, he's just one of the nicest guys there is and always wants to help people and make them happy, let's face it he's the Dalai Lama of jackets!

Smithy I know about JC but I've had trouble getting in contact... And he has the two labels I am after.

Can someone here put me in contact with JC at goodwear? I'd be grateful plenty!!!

Thanx in advance,

Dany

mulceber

Smithy I know about JC but I've had trouble getting in contact... And he has the two labels I am after.

Can someone here put me in contact with JC at goodwear? I'd be grateful plenty!!!

Thanx in advance,

Dany

He’s not ignoring your emails, he’s just busy. He’ll get back to you. Just be patient, friendly and persistent. If he doesn’t get back to you in a week, send a (polite) follow-up email. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Smithy

Thanx in advance,

Dany

When I ordered the labels Dany I just did it through the GW email.

Last time I spoke to John though was when he PMed me here a couple of years back so you could maybe PM him as well.

Obviously the CV thing has probably thrown a spanner in the works with everything and it might be taking longer for replies.

Dany McDonald

Okay, well the funny thing is that I got a very friendly reply one time and one year later another email for a follow up and radio silence since... That's over over 3 years... I did try.

I give up...

Anyways thanx for the support!

D

Dany McDonald

My label saga has ended with a PM from John Chapman.

All sorted out and I have to add my voice to the people that say that John is one hell of a guy!

Seriously thinking of going after what's attached to a Goodwear label now...

Thank you all and especially John!

Dany

Dany McDonald

I received the labels this morning, here's the jackets that needed them. The Bogen AN 6552 felt naked without it and the Dubow 27798 could have gone without but like I said I love labels...

So the Bogen is in super shape and I should post it with more images. The Dubow was a gamble from ebay and it's needs love, a lot... The top part of the collar is rotten and will probably need replacing, I am not sure yet what to do. The zip will be replaced with an original 40's M42 Talon scored off ebay last week. Knits (okay) and liner (bad) will stay there. The label will be weathered to ''fit'' in context. The rest of the leather has been brought back to life with some intervention and is surprisingly nice and solid...ish. Please feel free to comment.

GoodwearLabel_webK.jpg

Now many thank to John Chapman!

Dany