• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRVINS WITH LESS SHEEN

rich

It's a point John, but this photo is over exposed and the white areas are too strong. I really don't think you stand a chance of
determining the finish of a jacket based on this kind of photography. If you balance that photo a little it comes to this,
which in my own opinion looks more natural. It's hugely open to interpretation. If you like your jackets shiny then that's your preference, and I'm glad we have the options.
A better way to tell might be to examine the area under the sleeve zip of a few originals, but even this is far from assured.

I read an article on the Sistine Chapel years ago, you're right that a lot of people were very unhappy with the restoration work.
Me, I haven't seen it either way. :(

wit40copy.jpg

Roughwear

I have never said all original Irvins were dull or without a sheen. All I'm saying is they were not as shiny as the early ELC repro. As Rich says the finish on originals which has hot been exposed to wear, such as behind the sleeve zips gives one an indication of the shine on the original jacket, but is not conclusive. All the mint ones I have seen/owned have had a sheen, but are not very shiny. Wartime photos are not an accurate guide either as they can be over-exposed or taken in strong sunlight. John, buy what pleases you just as we all do when it comes to Irvins. To me authenticity is crucial, but its not to everyone here.

Cliff

Here is an early ELC Irvin Advert as you can see its actually not that shiny. Perhaps "shiny" is not the word I am looking for when describing what I and possibly John are seeking. Maybe the description of the finish of the skin I covet is more complex than that.

ELCIrvinSmall001.jpg

Tim P

I don't think anyone outside of a wetlook fetish aviators forum would like a shiny irvin. :( :eek:

an Irvin with a sheen reminiscent of leather would be nice, matte matte matte is not very appealing to me however I embrace it as being authentic. :)

philip.ed

We weren't around in 1940, so how are we to pass accurate judgement on how it would have been then? ;) just my 2 pence.

Roughwear

philip.ed said:
We weren't around in 1940, so how are we to pass accurate judgement on how it would have been then? ;) just my 2 pence.

No we were not, but there are photos from the time which give a good indication and there are still mint originals which are even more helpful. The leather not usually exposed to the light is behind the sleeve zips and it gives a very clear indication of the original finish of an Irvin. The answer is they varied from almost matt to a sheen. Remember there were several makers with AM contracts and there were differences in finish and in construction.

philip.ed

I find all this really interesting; the banter around here is certainly quite funny :lol:

From my collecting experience I think that anything is possible; although there will always tend to be a uniform pattern that one type of flying-clothing pattern is more frequent than another; in this case the matt-finish maybe (?) :cool:

Roughwear

philip.ed said:
I find all this really interesting; the banter around here is certainly quite funny :lol:

From my collecting experience I think that anything is possible; although there will always tend to be a uniform pattern that one type of flying-clothing pattern is more frequent than another; in this case the matt-finish maybe (?) :cool:

It's good to have a some fun here. any chance you could post some pictures from your collection Philip?

philip.ed

Please, call me Ben; Philip is my father but I have always used his callsign as my usernames :D

We have one Irvin in the collection, but it's an old thing although quite interesting. I should try and take some pictures of it as it could do with a lot of TLC. It only cost £100 from memory, so you can't go wrong really :lol:

I should post some pics of my RAF collection too. Maybe next week if time is kind :cool:

philip.ed

Speaking of which, I had meant to ask your opinion on the Irvin a year or more ago! I really must take some pictures of it.