• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRVINS IN MY COLLECTION

Roughwear

Over the years my collection of Irvins has expanded and changed through up-grading. Here are all ten jackets in my collection. Date wise they range in order from 1933 to 1944-5. I have photographed each jacket on the same stand so that you can see the variations in them. All the jackets are in superb condition and most have little or no wear at the cuffs. I do not have one favourite, but enjoy them all. Each jacket fits me and is worn on an occasional basis or more often in the case of those in less than mint condition!

1933 four panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This ultra rare example is in mint condition and has the original label. The slider bucket is marked "Dot British". It was so early that it never had an elestic strap fitted!
045.jpg

047.jpg

1938 two panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This one was made from skins with a reddish finish and has the desirable herringbone zip tapes and unmarked nickel Dot British zips. This jacket is typical of the two panel jackets worn in the Battle of France.
037.jpg

039.jpg

1938-9 two panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This is similar to the one above, but has a slightly darker finish and has reddish Dot zip tapes with the unmarked nickel zips.
043.jpg

1939-40 two panel Irvin Air Chute jacket. This electrically wired jacket is in almost mint condition. The connectors appear to have been removed and sewn over in the War. The zips are single trunnion brass Dot made in England zips, which are found on the earliest Irvins.
059.jpg

061.jpg

1939 dated two panel Wareings jacket. This is a very large size example and was issued to a Blenheim pilot. The fleece is an unusually creamy colour. The main zip is by Dot and the sleeve zips are Lightnings.
050.jpg

049.jpg

1940 two panal DGL jacket. Two panel Irvins by DGL of London are very rare and this one is at least a size 6 and has Dot double trunnion cast sleeve zips.
055.jpg

1941-3 four panel DG Ltd labelled jacket. This one has fantastic copper-coloured fleece and Lightning zips.
053.jpg

1941-2 four panel Wareings jacket in mint condition. It is a size 6 and has cast double trunnion Dot zips. It belonged to a squadron leader who flew Mosquitos
051.jpg

052.jpg

1942-3 four panel jacket made from black fleece, which is extremely rare. I am not sure of the maker. The zips are all made by Lightning.
057.jpg

1944-5 multi-panelled jacket by DGL. This one was made from re-cycled Irvin trousers. I like the symetrical small panels. It's labelled a size 5.
058.jpg

John Lever

WAY too many jackets there Andrew...
Time to off load a few to a worthy cause. I can take a couple if you like !

Roughwear

Thanks John, but aren't all original jackets smelly and I thought you only collected repro sheepskin jacket? ;)

John Lever

Roughwear said:
Thanks John, but aren't all original jackets smelly and I thought you only collected repro sheepskin jacket? ;)
Some are more smelly than others.
Seriously though it really is a testament to the quality of these garments that were designed for a sole purpose but have lasted well over 70 years. I notice the collection seems to consist of jackets in very good almost unworn condition and wonder if they would stand up to regular use, for example daily wear on a commute by motor cycle ?
Are there any other variants that you are still trying to find ?

Roughwear

John, all these jackets could be worn on a daily basis. Some of the mint ones I would not wear regularly as they will no longer be mint! The 1940 DGL jacket has been worn on a daily basis for the last three winters without any problems at all. I just keep it conditioned and treat it with care. The late War multi-panelled Irvin has also been worn alot without issues. I don't think I'll be wearing the 1933 jacket much though as it is probably the best condition example in existance! I really have all the main variants, but just sometimes one that catches my eye comes along. I'm not a fan of the Coastal Command jackets and although I have owned several, I really do not like the yellow hood.

Roughwear

It is also one of my favourites John. I have owned this jacket for about six years and it has remained in excellent condition despite quite a few outings over the years.

MikeyB-17

I like the black fleece one myself. Aero did a run of black Irvins years ago. Not strictly accurate, but I'd love one of those.

Roughwear

MikeyB-17 said:
I like the black fleece one myself. Aero did a run of black Irvins years ago. Not strictly accurate, but I'd love one of those.

It's a great jacket for sure. On the upper back is painted "PM" in blue and gold paint, which might indicate that it was worn by someone from the RCAF.

005-1.jpg

007-4.jpg

greyhound52

Fantastic. I just wish it would get cold enough to wear them here in California. I just started wearing my A2s just before Halloween. Been too warm. :x

Roughwear

Unfortunately I can't edit this thread now. The 1933 Irvin has an unmarked slider bucket not one marked "Dot British". The "Dot British" ones are on the two IAC jackets from 1938-9.

flyboy

What a great collection, Andrew. (As if we did not know :D )
I love the early 38-39 IAC ones - especially the slightly red one.
Thank you for sharing.

jonnyboy

Andrew, what a great collection of Irvins!

They all look like keepers, and the collection really shows the variety found with originals. As a recent convert to multipanels, I love yours. Some multipanels look a bit ugly, with unsightly seam tapes everywhere, but your example is very stylish.

I know what you mean about not liking the yellow hoods of the Coastal Command jackets. I'm hoping to be able to offer a Coastal Command option a little further down the line though. Do you know what type of paint was actually used on the hoods?

Cheers,

Jon

Peter Graham

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
Some are more smelly than others.
What's wrong with the smell of vintage sheepskin anyway ? I love it, but maybe I'm a bit odd. :?

coalman

What's wrong with the smell of vintage sheepskin anyway ? I love it, but maybe I'm a bit odd. :?[/quote]

Some may say depends on how old the sheep is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve27752

Your first picture shows a 1933 jacket with multi panels? I thought this was a later war style?
Would many have been made in this way, at that time?

Roughwear

Steve27752 said:
Your first picture shows a 1933 jacket with multi panels? I thought this was a later war style?

It is a misconception that only mid war Irvins were of a four panel construction. I have seen four Irvins from 1932-3 and three were a four panel construction.

m444uk

Steve27752 said:

Here's my old 1944 dated jacket with no front panels !
I always assumed the tag to belong to the jacket because the stitching
attaching it was faded like the jacket and the cotton had lost some of it's strength.

AAA016.jpg

AAA014.jpg

AAA025.jpg

AAA037.jpg

AAA028.jpg

AAA021.jpg

The curious thing about the jacket was the shearling was still good,strong and thick,
but the leather backing on the collar had no strength. You could tear it easily.