• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on Sefton A-2s

442RCT

I recently bought a Sefton A-2 on ebay, and after looking it over, I became very interested in Sefton Jackets. I don't know how to describe it, but handling the jacket and the grain of the leather, it just spoke WW2 to me, and I've never actually handled a vintage WW 2 A-2. I've read on the forums that Sefton isn't an accurate repro, it's just a well made jacket that looks like an A-2. I have a house ELC, a RMJ and a 1938 Aero repro...but so far the Sefton is my favorite.

I did a search of this site and googled Sefton leather, most of the info on Sefton went to discussions on Fedora Forum. In one of the discussions, someone said that maker of Seftons had partnered with a jacket artist and many Seftons were sold pre-painted and pre-patched. Is this true? If anyone has pics of a pre-painted Sefton, can you post them. :D
I also found out, Seftons are no longer made, so the best place to keep an eye out is on ebay.

ps- I WTB a plain Sefton in sz 40, at least the one I got off ebay was a sz 40 and fit spot on, not too loose and not too long.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
442RCT said:
I've read on the forums that Sefton isn't an accurate repro, it's just a well made jacket that looks like an A-2. I have a house ELC, a RMJ and a 1938 Aero repro...but so far the Sefton is my favorite.

I think they're meaning that it isn't an accurate repro of a particular contract. As a house style it is excellent, and certainly more than looks like an A-2.

Andrew

Steve Silburn (Sefton) is in the UK and reproduces RAF flying kit and also sells some original stuff both US and Commonwealth. Everything he makes is very accurate and of the highest quality.

havocpaul

They were one of the earliest and best (at the time) repro makes, at their height they frequently advertised in the British aviation magazines, I did post some of these ads on the old forum but don't have those pics to hand at present although I will try and trawl through old mags to find them again. They were sold as far as I remember unpainted; they represented a generic contract and had repro Talon zippers. I have been trying to re-buy a size 42 as it would bring back fond memories of the early days of A-2 repros when it seemed less important to count the stitches and be too perfect, a Sefton was class and one could tell it had been made with care and pride.

442RCT

havocpaul said:
...a Sefton was class and one could tell it had been made with care and pride.

;) That's the feeling I got when I inspected the jacket, normally I'm not all that 'picky' about A-2s, I'm usually okay if it looks more or less like an A-2, but the Sefton just jumped out at me, the color, the grain, the way it fits...fantastic ! I'm glad you're looking for a 42 and I'm looking for a 40...that way we won't be bidding against each other. :lol:

442RCT

bseal said:
I had the pleasure of seeing Hamsterbear's Sefton A-2 firsthand, good stuff. It can be seen on J. Urbaniak's site:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/10431008

Courtesy of Hamsterbear, Here are some more of his jacket:
382030615.jpg

382030613.jpg

382030617.jpg

joeson

My Sefton is,in my opinion,the best out of all my repro jackets.It is also the one I wear most,due to the great fit and worn look of it.