• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info in the M-445a

Hi, Ive got an old M-445a Jacket I was given some time ago. Does anyone have any info on them. Not much on the web about them. I know they were USN but thats about it. Id be interested to find out a bit more about their use and roll etc.

Cheers

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The M445/A/B was the US Navy Winter Heavy flying jacket from the first half of the 1940's, usually paired with the M446 trousers. It's the Navy's version of the Army Air Force B-3, or the RAF Irvin.

deeb7 said:
The M445/A/B was the US Navy Winter Heavy flying jacket from the first half of the 1940's, usually paired with the M446 trousers. It's the Navy's version of the Army Air Force B-3, or the RAF Irvin.

Thanks, they do seem hard to get info on.

bazelot said:
Any pictures? Those jackets are hard to find in good condition.

Well, its in ok condition, still wearable tho. A couple of small tears in one sleeve but zips up fine and still a nice old jacket. Ill drag it out, give it a clean up and chuck some pic's up.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
oldskoolonly said:
Thanks, they do seem hard to get info on.

They are great looking jackets, but surviving examples tend to be fragile .... let us know if you have any specific questions.

Falcon_52

Wow! That auction link is to an M-444A. I didn't even know there was such an "A" revision of this jacket. Interesting...

Noel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Falcon_52 said:
Wow! That auction link is to an M-444A. I didn't even know there was such an "A" revision of this jacket. Interesting...

Four contacts to four different makers ... all 1942.

Here's the jacket. After looking at other M445's I think my buttons are incorrect, they look military but I think they are too large?? Can Anyone help with some buttons?
The Car is a 1946 Pontiac for those interested.
Image0027.jpg

Image0028.jpg

Image0022.jpg

Image0021.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Nice jacket ... the buttons look fine, but the smaller buttons from a G-1 will work if you want to change them.

Great car. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John, the M445B's are all the later pattern with the buttons. The change seems to have occurred part way through production of the A series, with some contracts being made in both versions.

bazelot

The buttons are fine. You shouldn't touch them. Great jacket. It looks like it is in very good shape. i like the car as well!!

Cheers! The Buttons stay!
Next question, its got two small tears on one of the elbows, to patch or not to patch? Does a patch repair take away from its value? What do you guys do with torn shearling aside from replacing the sleeve ? I know these jackets are quite fragile, this one is fairly good and wearable but im worried im going to make the holes bigger if I leave them, especially if I catch it on something. :)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
oldskoolonly said:
Does a patch repair take away from its value?

No, a repair is always better than a hole. Find a suitable leather scrap, that you can place behind the tears ... glue, and/or stitch into place.

Peter Graham

Man that Pontiac is a beaut. Respect. The jacket is cool too. As for repairing it, if it's a tear I would stitch it up. Only if it was a hole would I patch it but beware, USN shearlings are very fragile. I had a near mint unissued M-445 that started to fall apart the first time I wore it.

Peter Graham said:
Man that Pontiac is a beaut. Respect. The jacket is cool too. As for repairing it, if it's a tear I would stitch it up. Only if it was a hole would I patch it but beware, USN shearlings are very fragile. I had a near mint unissued M-445 that started to fall apart the first time I wore it.

Cheers Peter, I love my Pontiac, its old and rough but full of character. Got a few other old cars and stuff ill post up when the opportunity arises.
The m445a I have is pretty good but I do wear it with caution, anyhow, Id rather wear it than let a coat hanger have all the fun! (just found my Signature!!!) Plus the jacket is not 100% perfect anyway, if it was Id most likely value it a little more dearly.
There is no rot at the tears, it must have been snagged at some time. Ive had a go at patching it on the inside and its come up quite well without stitches. Its made a delicate area quite strong which also give me the confidence to wear it even more, if it tears elsewhere, ill do the same I think. :)

bazelot

Here is how I repair shearling on a Navy jacket:

1/ Stitch the hole from the outside of the jacket

2/ Apply a thin coat Barge Cement glue over the stitching

3/Use a dye to apply over the whole thing.

Works wonders. Sometimes just stitching is enough.