• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idea for ELC?

havocpaul

I was just pondering the recent developments at ELC with their '50cal' and 'Time-worn' jackets and thought how about a depot-respray A-2? Having seen a few originals in the flesh, mostly from the Korean war, I thought a repro might look good with a respray and some time-worn treatment, could even add a USAF decal too. Good idea or shall I get my coat?!

TankBuster

I could be wrong, but I think they already tried doing one.
Apparently they didn't like the outcome, and decided to
scrap it. I remember seeing one of the test jackets.

havocpaul

Must have missed that one, shame, but with their new methods may work out; after all, Gary once said they couldn't do 'time worn' on anything but steerhide but now offer it across the range of A-2's/G-1.

Swing

I've seen them sell new jackets there were redyed on their clearance page, but I think they were redyed because they weren't happy with the original color. I can't imagine dying a jacket, "Time wearing" it, putting another layer of dye on, and then "Time Wearing" it again. Someone want's a Korean war jacket, get a 1401 or Cable, really wear the heck outta it for a couple years, then send it back to be redyed and decaled.

~Swing

havocpaul

I was only suggesting doing the 'time-worn' finish the once! The idea came from the number of re-dyed jackets seen late WW2 and Korea and their character. I have seen excellent originals particularly goatskin ones re-dyed; their Cable would look great with a dark overspray. Sure I could wear the hell out of a normal one but that thought would make redundant all these 'time-worn' options and the '50-cal' finish. A great number of A-2's went on to serve post-war in the USAF as Korean war pics show so the idea was for a repro of one of these old 'grizzly' jackets.

Swing

havocpaul said:
I was only suggesting doing the 'time-worn' finish the once! The idea came from the number of re-dyed jackets seen late WW2 and Korea and their character.

But that character comes from them having gotten heavy use, the original coat of dye being worn, and then another being slapped on over it. IMO, you could not really get the right look from twice dying and then wearing a new jacket, or by simply putting a single dark coat of dye on a new jacket.

~Swing

Tim P

i think a self-done jacket with an appropriately dark mixed dye wouild be easy enough. a nice Korea blood chit painting or artwork could further 'Korea' up the jacket. a beater jacket would be ideal and i may consider it as a project. do MASH do correct decals?

Tim P

BTW, the temptation to have a little 'wipe' of the highlights pre drying would be immense.

Burnsie

I remember seeing an ELC on eBay that was a "test" re-dye that they had tried, maybe 6 or 8 years ago (cue someone saying "ask Gary and find out from the source") ;)

CBI

Are not all original A-2's that are seal brown oversprayed - hence the dark color? Were not all/most all A-2's russett (as per general spec - as little of one as there was) and the seal ones were re-issues? Would this not make repro seal brown jackets "oversprays" to a degree?

khiattP-51

I think those two color categories are very missleading and probably because of the modern reproduction market. The more I learned over the years, the less I like the either or of if it ain't seal brown, then we have to call it russet. There was certainly a range of browns used. I've seen an original Cable Raincoat that was a dark tan (I don't think it was faded) and an Aero that was very, very dark 'seal' brown that wasn't a re-dye. However, most that I've owned, sold or had my hands on were a middle of the road dull medium to darkish brown. Neither the overly red oxblood 'russet' that some makers try to pass off, nor the overly black 'seal' that they want us to believe was used on the darker originals. When I choose the colors for my repros, I want to look at it and think, "is it dark russet or light seal?" Because to me, that is about a perfect shade for an A-2.

Best,
-Kevin

airfrogusmc

CBI said:
Are not all original A-2's that are seal brown oversprayed - hence the dark color? Were not all/most all A-2's russett (as per general spec - as little of one as there was) and the seal ones were re-issues? Would this not make repro seal brown jackets "oversprays" to a degree?

Paul Sanders had quite a few Dubow 27798s once and they varied from very light to almost black and none were re dyes.

A

Anonymous

I have an ELC that looks very much like it was a re-dye. I don't know the history but it is definately two distinct colours. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I really like it. It's certainly drawn a lot of favourable comments.

ELC03.jpg

ELCO5.jpg

ELC01.jpg

Dave

John Lever

How do they avoid contamination of the lining and cuffs ?
Surely for a proper job the lining and knits would have to be removed first.

Swing

John Lever said:

Any war time redye I've seen the dye was just slopped onto the jacket over the old dye with a brush or possibly a spray gun. Knits and lining stayed on if they were in good shape, and if they got a little dye on them, no big deal.

~Swing

John Lever

Swing said:
John Lever said:

Any war time redye I've seen the dye was just slopped onto the jacket over the old dye with a brush or possibly a spray gun. Knits and lining stayed on if they were in good shape, and if they got a little dye on them, no big deal.

~Swing
I wonder if today's customer would wear that ?['scuse the pun]

rich

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I have an ELC that looks very much like it was a re-dye. I don't know the history but it is definately two distinct colours. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I really like it. It's certainly drawn a lot of favourable comments.

Dave

Dave, just how I like my tea as it happens ................... excellent jacket IMO, my size too I see............ :)

Tim P

I just may try it. if I do I will subtly create that two tone effect as I go by gently removing some of the dye as it dries.